First UTE

Check In and Say G'day
newbieranger8
25 Club

First UTE

Post by newbieranger8 »

Hi guys,

Just booked my first Ute it's a ford ranger Wildtrak 3.2 in Alabaster White, expected delivery is end of October. Have never owned a 4wd , I have no commercial or professional use for a Ute the only reason to buy it was because it's a ford ranger and because I wanted one!. Have a few questions will be really grateful if you can guide me.

My use will be usual kids drop off pickup and some light to medium off roading, camping and or towing.
Have some honest newbie questions below.

What are the first mods I would need.

All terrain tyre ? How much would that cost ? Ranger comes with factory alloy wheels , will I need new wheels with the tyres?

Fender flares are they required? How much would they cost?

Do I really need a lift kit ? If yes how much will that cost ? I understand a little that lift might be needed with the bigger tyres but not really in depth. However I would love it make it look big and beasty.

We are a young family of 4 , any mods you can recommend that I would need ?

Roof rack ? Awning ? Costs again .....

How can I track the delivery of the Ute ? Is it the case that 3.2 can be delivered before the date commited by the dealer?

Above all which would these mods can void warranty?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

2021 Stock standard Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2L Auto
jezalenko
25 Club

Re: First UTE

Post by jezalenko »

Hey mate, my opinion of your questions as follows:
newbieranger8 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:42 pm All terrain tyre ? How much would that cost ? Ranger comes with factory alloy wheels , will I need new wheels with the tyres?
You can do most easy - moderate off road tracks with the stock tyres (Dunlop AT22). I did so for the first 40k km before replacing them with a more aggressive AT. New wheels are not required unless you go anything bigger than a 33 in tyre.
newbieranger8 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:42 pm Fender flares are they required? How much would they cost?
Only really required if you replace the wheels with a +35 offset or less. I have a +42 and don't need flares. Google is your friend for quotes.
newbieranger8 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:42 pm Do I really need a lift kit ? If yes how much will that cost ? I understand a little that lift might be needed with the bigger tyres but not really in depth. However I would love it make it look big and beasty.
For those easy - moderate off road tracks, and up to 33in tyres, no. But you are right, it does make it look better :D Some folk upgrade their rear leaf springs to accommodate for towball weights, but I don't tow so can't comment.
newbieranger8 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:42 pm We are a young family of 4 , any mods you can recommend that I would need ?
Airbag compatible seat covers. I'd suggest Superfit, great quality and service. Rubber floor mats are also good, either the Ford Genuine or TruFit 3D are recommended around here.
newbieranger8 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:42 pm Roof rack ? Awning ? Costs again .....
Not essential. Only if you feel like you need to put stuff up there. Remember that you can only put 80 kg on the roof including the rack itself, and I believe that it's harder for Wildtraks with their silly roof rail.

Above all else I'd recommend doing some 4WD training with either a club or training provider if you're new to 4WDs. It'll educate you and prevent you from doing something silly off road, and can lower your insurance premiums with some companies.
newbieranger8
25 Club

Post by newbieranger8 »

jezalenko wrote:Hey mate, my opinion of your questions as follows:
newbieranger8 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:42 pm All terrain tyre ? How much would that cost ? Ranger comes with factory alloy wheels , will I need new wheels with the tyres?
You can do most easy - moderate off road tracks with the stock tyres (Dunlop AT22). I did so for the first 40k km before replacing them with a more aggressive AT. New wheels are not required unless you go anything bigger than a 33 in tyre.
newbieranger8 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:42 pm Fender flares are they required? How much would they cost?
Only really required if you replace the wheels with a +35 offset or less. I have a +42 and don't need flares. Google is your friend for quotes.
newbieranger8 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:42 pm Do I really need a lift kit ? If yes how much will that cost ? I understand a little that lift might be needed with the bigger tyres but not really in depth. However I would love it make it look big and beasty.
For those easy - moderate off road tracks, and up to 33in tyres, no. But you are right, it does make it look better :D Some folk upgrade their rear leaf springs to accommodate for towball weights, but I don't tow so can't comment.
newbieranger8 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:42 pm We are a young family of 4 , any mods you can recommend that I would need ?
Airbag compatible seat covers. I'd suggest Superfit, great quality and service. Rubber floor mats are also good, either the Ford Genuine or TruFit 3D are recommended around here.
newbieranger8 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:42 pm Roof rack ? Awning ? Costs again .....
Not essential. Only if you feel like you need to put stuff up there. Remember that you can only put 80 kg on the roof including the rack itself, and I believe that it's harder for Wildtraks with their silly roof rail.

Above all else I'd recommend doing some 4WD training with either a club or training provider if you're new to 4WDs. It'll educate you and prevent you from doing something silly off road, and can lower your insurance premiums with some companies.
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond back! Really appreciate it

newbieranger8
25 Club

Post by newbieranger8 »

jezalenko wrote:Hey mate, my opinion of your questions as follows:

Are there any 4wd clubs you can recommend around Western Melbourne

lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Newranger.net trips and meetups

Saeb.net trips and meetups