apsilon's FX4

Check In and Say G'day
apsilon
200 Club

apsilon's FX4

Post by apsilon »

Hi all,

I've already posted in a few threads but thought I should post a proper intro here. Picked up my new FX4 last Monday. Don't know how far I'm going to go with mods yet but so far I've fitted:

- Wetseat neoprene covers
- Fit My Car carpet mats and dash mat
- Window tint
- Lightforce interior and map LEDs
- Provent catch can
- Prolift tailgate assist (only down the down half so far)
- Thinkware F770 front and rear dashcam
- Removed the 4x4 stickers from the tub

I'll planning to do tyres and probably wheels, lift and probably some lights. Already have the Lightforce switch panel fascia and a 12" LED light bar that I've had laying around for ages so will see if I can mount that on a number plate mount until I decide if I'm going to do a bullbar or not. Other things I'm considering is a larger fuel tank and some rear lights for camp and reversing as well as wheel arch flares. Coming from HIDs in my last car the halogen aren't great so I've also ordered some Philips +100 bulbs which should suffice for around town and see how the lightbar goes for darker areas before deciding if anything more is needed.

I had a 2 door '09 Pajero before this that was well fitted out but had to move to a 4 door. Miss having access to a ute (dad always had one as work vehicle) so decided a dual cab would fit the bill and really like the look of the Ranger. Must say I'm pretty impressed with it so far.
Frozen White '17 FX4 Auto
lincolnland
300 Club

Re: apsilon's FX4

Post by lincolnland »

welcome along mate. great choice. post pics as u go in the buildup. also follow the 2018 ranger meetup thread. hope to see u there. cheers
apsilon
200 Club

Post by apsilon »

Fender flares ordered today. Wasn't planning to do them this early but may be required for the new rubber so I'll get it out of the way. Also have some ODB2 stuff coming, a Bluetooth scanner so I can at least enable silent mode and a Scangauge2 to better keep an eye on things.

I'll attend the meet up if I can but admit my chances are low. Family stuff is keeping me close to home for the foreseeable future (and were also a large contributor in having to move to 4 doors)
apsilon
200 Club

Post by apsilon »

Fitted the fender flares today. Think they tie in with the rest of the black nicely.

They'll look even better once the new rubber goes on which will happen as soon as the wheels arrive.

Full set of bash plates on order. Next will be a lift and that largely completes what I wanted to do. Sure that won't be the end though.
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

sweet!
Geoff blyth
50 Club

Post by Geoff blyth »

looks great
2016 wildtrak sync2 with ARB bars & canopy long range tank tow pro elite GME uhf
apsilon
200 Club

Post by apsilon »

Thanks, pretty happy with the vehicle and mod progress.

So, wheels arrived the other day. Hopefully get the tyres mounted on Tuesday. Should look good IMO.

Today I fitted the Lightforce switch panel fascia albeit without any actual switches just yet along with a Windrunner. Thought I might get used to the throttle but after 3 weeks it was still feeling off. Only taken it around the block but so far it's much better. Not sure where it's permanently going to live just yet but it can sit there while I play around with it.

Also fitted a Scangage though again, not sure if that's where it'll permanently live.

Final mod for the day was fitting a stubby antenna in place of the stock one but didn't bother taking a photo of that.
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

did u fit a permanently mounted aluminum receptacle holder? ie newranger.net annual ranger meetup stubby holder?
apsilon
200 Club

Post by apsilon »

No, I haven't. Wouldn't get much use out of it these days, pretty much gave up drinking a few years back. I'm a light weight these days.

First decent drive with the Windrunner on my way to work this morning. Throttle now feels much more "normal". It's a must do mod really.
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Those throttle modifying thingies are well worth the coin. Got on myself and think it should be standard. Cheers.
looks450

Post by looks450 »

So i have fingers crossed that my dealer can find one of these for me, signed and made deposit today. Never owned a ford, Had holdens and Hiluxes before.

Questions please
What is the light force map led lights
WHere did you get those flares from
I read something about auto hi/Lo beam, how would that work with a rego plate light bar?

Oh and yep, first post.
apsilon
200 Club

Post by apsilon »

You shouldn't have any trouble finding one, there were heaps around a month ago when I got mine, especially white. My first Ford as well. Dad had heaps of them as company cars though when I was a kid. Was never impressed with them but so far the Ranger is good.

Lightforce map LED are replacement LED bulbs for the map lights. Whiter and brighter. Nothing that special about them but I was buying the big roof LED replacement at the same time.

Flares are the standard EGR flares available from any EGR distributor. Available in unpainted flat black that I got or for a bit more coin colour coded. FWIW, the place I bought mine wanted $130 to fit them. Unless you're really hard up for cash let them fit them. The moulding doesn't come fitted to the flare so has to be stuck on. it's not a hard job but it is very time consuming if you want it perfect. I spent 3/4 of a day fitting them and in my book $130 for 3/4 of a day is cheap.

Yes, has auto high beam but that can be switched off. Any driving lights I install would have a separate switch anyway but high beam even on auto will only come on when there's no traffic around so shouldn't matter.

Fitted 3 of my wheels this weekend then realised perhaps I should double check the cheap ROH Trojan Max wheel I got to use as a spare actually fits. Of course it doesn't despite ROH claiming it does. Centre bore is too small. Not wanting to drive around without a spare I pulled them all back off again. Need to call the tyre place tomorrow (whose website also says it fits) and see what they say. Should've just spent the extra and got 5 Method wheels. On the positive side they look bloody awesome fitted up and fill the flares perfectly.
apsilon
200 Club

Post by apsilon »

apsilon wrote:You shouldn't have any trouble finding one, there were heaps around a month ago when I got mine, especially white.
Spoke to my salesperson while I had the Ranger in for it's inspection service (I've got a Mustang on order with him as well and was following up info on that), he mentioned Ford AU have ordered another ~!000 FX4 taking the total to ~3500 units.

So, have a couple of days off so was down near Dobinsons today so dropped in and asked a few questions and ordered a full kit before leaving. MRR shocks, rear parabolic springs. Scheduled for install in about 3 weeks.

Have to get the wheels on. Finally got the spare sorted. Also picked up a set of TJM bash plates during the EOFY sale so will have to fit them some time as well.

Not much left to do, at least that I'm planning to do, after all that.
dakiwalt
25 Club

Post by dakiwalt »

Would love to see those wheels on... :D
apsilon
200 Club

Post by apsilon »

So would I LOL.

Had to delay it for a variety of reason but should be on by the end of the month. Lift kit being fitted this coming Tues then plan to swap the wheels on the weekend.
apsilon
200 Club

Post by apsilon »

Finally. Didn't think I'd actually have time today but I got it done. This is how it looks as of today. 2" Dobinson MRR lift, and 285/65-18 Toyo OCAT2 on 18x9 Method NV wheels. Sits nice and flush with the flares. Probably still sitting a touch high as the suspension was only fitted this week and only done about 100km since.

Pretty happy with the outcome.
apsilon
200 Club

Post by apsilon »

Finally fitted the full set of TJM bash plates today. Being under the car and with the OEM plates removed also gave me the opportunity to have a look around and see how I could mount a light bar with the stock bumper so have some ideas now but won't be doing anything for a little while. Spent a fair bit in the 3 months I've had it so the wallet needs some time to recover.

The light bar and fuel filter/water separator are about the only things I have left on the wish list.
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

pics of your bash plates fitted mate? bit of chatter bout the loom and tjm transfer case guard. be good see yours and hear your thoughts. cheers bro
apsilon
200 Club

Post by apsilon »

Not much to see but I'll grab some pics at some point. Very happy with the fit other than the loom mentioned in the other thread. Don't love the use of non captive nuts in spots but not a lot of options. I can see them being a pain if/when they need to be removed. Certainly stronger than the OEM ones and obviously cover a lot more. Hopefully I never test them out but no doubt they end up reshaped just like the ones on my previous Pajero :lol:
longneck75
100 Club

Post by longneck75 »

Hey mate what headlights did you end up running with and are they any good?
apsilon
200 Club

Post by apsilon »

Just Philips +100 bulbs I think they were. Slightly better than stock but still not good. Can't believe top spec vehicles are still sold without at least HIDs these days.

They're adequate for around town. I'll be fitting a small lightbar while I'm on leave in Jan. Still tossing up exactly which one. Just enough to make highway trips a bit more comfortable. Something bigger further down the track. Emailed Rhino a couple of days ago to see if the backbone system to fit the Wildtrak (FX4 has the same roof bars) is ready yet. Was supposedly a couple of months off back in July. Once I fit that I can fit a ~40 inch bar up there (along with awning and other things I'm holding off on).
longneck75
100 Club

Post by longneck75 »

cheers mate, the head lights are pissing me off. The other halfs kia low beams are brighter then my highs.
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

longneck75 wrote:cheers mate, the head lights are pissing me off. The other halfs kia low beams are brighter then my highs.
i dont mind seeing the other halfs high beams. as often as possible. always good to make sure the other halfs high beams are working correctly. cheers
longneck75
100 Club

Post by longneck75 »

lol.... I ended up getting some Philips Crystalvision for the short term till I find something else. waiting for darkness to see how they look