EGR TONNEAU Cover

Non Ranger Related Subjects
Dunno

EGR TONNEAU Cover

Post by Dunno »

G'day Everyone,

Has anyone ordered their Ranger with a FORD ERG Tonneau Cover accessory? If so, what are you thoughts on not being able to remove it as it only rolls up? Personally, not overly impressed.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Dunno
paw
100 Club

Re: EGR TONNEAU Cover

Post by paw »

Hi Dunno, I had one thrown in as part of the deal and I'm not impressed. It's a pain in the butt to roll up past the sports bar and its made more difficult by having to roll it under itself. I will be going with either an egr canopy or a bakflip vp or g2. I hav'nt made up my mind yet.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Couldn't agree Paw, I was thinking it would be the same as I had on my FG XR^ Ute, clearly not, does anyone know of another brand that will allow for the whole tonneau to be removed rather that rolled up?

Cheers
Officemanager

Post by Officemanager »

Hi
I installed a Tuff tonneau cover, found it is OK and you can completely remove with ease... it has an anti theft lock clip.
I have not seen the Ford factory tonneau to compare differences.
Cost me $395 DIY...1 hour installation which is easy, I like it and looks ok...when I get a chance I will put some pics up for you guys.

http://www.tuffonline.com.au/www/conten ... 56&fid=670
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Thanks MMM,

Looking forward to seeing the photos. Looking at the images in the link, I have a feeling I will be changing me over.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Dunno
crusader
75 Club

Post by crusader »

I bought one that fits my XL dual cab with barrier bar removed. So it rolls up all the way to the cab. I don't roll it up under itself as recommended in the manual as it is a pain to do, that's really only so the UV protected side is exposed. If the UV protection is an issue for you then just tuck the last piece under itself. I think my ERG cover is great quality and fits well and looks good, that said it may be better suited for vehicles without roll bars.
Will hopefully post pictures of my Ranger this weekend.
Ross.
chowny

Post by chowny »

Hi guys, been watching this site for a awhile now and this is my first comment.
I have recently got a PX dual cab XLT and it is fitted with a Factory Ford tonneau. I was talked into this being the best one for the car after i had spoke to them about what i needed in a tonneau becasue i put pallets on the back atleast once a week so i needed something quick and easy to take off. Althought the EGR soft tonneau does look tidy and slim, for me it is not practical. You have to open the rear tail gate to be able to open the tonneau cover and as paw said it is a pain in the butt to roll up. I was even discussing this with the Ford dealship yesterday to have it repaced which is what was originally discussed when i picked the car up if i did not like it but i am no closer to getting what i want.
I sent a link for one on ebay as a guide for what i wanted on it but still not will to do it as it is not a Ford Factory approved cover.
Anyway the long and short of it is im not impressed with the EGR Factory cover. THe one and only good thing about it is you can look the tail gate to make it harder for people to pinch things inside.
chowny

Post by chowny »

Does the tonneau cover come with the bungee cord on the inside for the slightly bigger loads in the back?
Officemanager

Post by Officemanager »

chowny wrote:Does the tonneau cover come with the bungee cord on the inside for the slightly bigger loads in the back?
Yes.... I will post up another pic at a later time when I get time to do it.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Thanks for the pictures MMM, looks like I will be buying a TUFF STUFF tonneau cover, anyone want to buy an EGR tonneau cover? hahaha

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Dunno
Excouncil
300 Club

Post by Excouncil »

Also look at Ute Covers Direct .
Has the alloy rail and is $399 DIY .
Easy to fit to the over rail bed liner if you have that .
Maveric

Post by Maveric »

Hi Guys / Girls

Still waiting for my Ranger XLT dual cab (Hi-rider)

I ordered my Cover from Ute Covers Direct on ebay.. had special for $339 delivered.
It took 2 work day and I have it.. Looks great.. Now lets hope delivery of my truck is on schedule... (8 March 2013)

Cheers.. and happy trucking
spakkaps
100 Club

Post by spakkaps »

Having a look at the tuff tonneaus version and the others on the market, I think the tuff looks the goods, as it has the additional padlock security.

MMM, did it also come with any Foam type tape to run on top on the tray ?

Has anyone seen the ridiculous Mazda factory cover with the unlocking mechanism which needs to be opened from inside the tray ? what a complicated system.
Excouncil
300 Club

Post by Excouncil »

spakkaps wrote:Having a look at the tuff tonneaus version and the others on the market, I think the tuff looks the goods, as it has the additional padlock security.

Has anyone seen the ridiculous Mazda factory cover with the unlocking mechanism which needs to be opened from inside the tray ? what a complicated system.
Umm , yeah !
Quite typical for Mazda !!!
When are they gunna give up [ u ] on doing utes /
Officemanager

Post by Officemanager »

spakkaps wrote:Having a look at the tuff tonneaus version and the others on the market, I think the tuff looks the goods, as it has the additional padlock security.

The aluminum rails has double sided tape at top.
suburban
100 Club

Post by suburban »

i thought it was the same system as the ford given they are both EGR items..

ive got one on mine and when i wanted to modifty it most places wouldnt go near it due to their sewing machines not accepting the plastic clip. I thought the locking mechanism was a good idea for day to day use. Keeps the tonneau nice and stiff and doesnt sag anywhere.

once or twice mine got a bit stuck, sprayed with WD40 and it went fine until i modified the lot to suit my tent
oxygen theif..
XLT RANGER
50 Club

Post by XLT RANGER »

Guys, in the hunt for a tonneau, what's the best on with no screwing into Ute and lockable?
D-ranged
300 Club

Post by D-ranged »

For me, the Bakflip cover ticked all the boxes - flexible, secure, no drilling or cutting, and looks great too! ;)
XLT RANGER
50 Club

Post by XLT RANGER »

D-ranged wrote:For me, the Bakflip cover ticked all the boxes - flexible, secure, no drilling or cutting, and looks great too! ;)
How much and where from champ?
D-ranged
300 Club

Post by D-ranged »

XLT, Tuff Tonneaus in Melbourne were the Australian distributor when I got mine 11 months ago. Cost then was Just under $1,340, and that included the Pro Caps that cover the sides of the ute. However, you need to ditch the sports bar - which I didn't mind as I prefer it without, and makes life easier loading/unloading the ute.
I fitted mine - not that difficult to do, took my time from late afternoon + evening to get it done. I haven't had any concerns or problem since (apart from no cap to protect the top of the tailgate, which I've rambled on about in other threads on the Forum, but not a Bakflip issue). If the tailgate is locked, you'd need an angle grinder or an axe to get in. 8-)
Bakflip 1.jpg
Pro cap.jpg
XLT RANGER
50 Club

Post by XLT RANGER »

Thats tuff as guts...
XLT RANGER
50 Club

Post by XLT RANGER »

i just bought the soft clip on tonneau by Tuff Tonneaus... Hope its good
onetonnesam

Post by onetonnesam »

Hi XLT Ranger,
Bump on an old thread, but I am wondering whether to buy this...first, I'm hopeless at fitting these things, how hard was it to install?
Trolling Dirt
300 Club

Post by Trolling Dirt »

Them pics MMM put up look identical to covers direct even the profile on the aluminum extrusion's.
Gunmetal
300 Club

Post by Gunmetal »

onetonnesam wrote:Hi XLT Ranger,
Bump on an old thread, but I am wondering whether to buy this...first, I'm hopeless at fitting these things, how hard was it to install?
This has been answered in a previous post.
onetonnesam

Post by onetonnesam »

Ok, can confirm that the EGR cover is simple to install, and that's from a guy who is pretty ordinary at handyman things. Only additional tool I neede was a Torx driver to take out a couple of bolts and a 10 mm spanner.
snow12

Post by snow12 »

Hi, I am from Australia. One of EGR's latest innovative products is the NO DRILL Soft Tonneau Cover. I don't think that you should remove it. and also I have covered my ranger with bed sheets