Rock Sliders

Non Ranger Related Subjects
GerryP
300 Club

Rock Sliders

Post by GerryP »

G'day folks,

Has anyone here have rock sliders from Busted Knuckle Fabrications? My lad has a set on his Navara and they look really great and the price was right. Just thinking of getting rid of the OEM steps as they hang too low for my liking.

I've sent them a message, but they're probably off till after New Year. Not sure if they've done them for the Ranger or for a Supercab for that matter. I just reckon the ARB ones are far too pricey for what they are.

Cheers
Gerry
MY17 PX2 XLT Supercab
Restoring... '65 XP Falcon Futura Hardtop
Neddysmith
200 Club

Re: Rock Sliders

Post by Neddysmith »

When you find out post up your findings as ill be in the market for some rock sliders sooner or later, as yourself just after a little more sill protection then the stock low hanging steps offer.
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

our good mate mickjt has a wicked set of sliders. and he tests them very regularly! shoot him a pm for some expert advice :)
Telby
75 Club

Post by Telby »

I've got a set from scfabworks.com.au
I think they were around the $700 mark delivered.
They are well made and I have tested them.
I'm not totally useless, I can always be used as a bad example.....

2016 XLS Dual Cab Pickup
rjbarrington
300 Club

Post by rjbarrington »

Is airbag compatible a factor?
Richard

2015 PX2 Wildtrak: Alpha canopy, EGR flares, Ray's Daytona FDX-F6 17x8 +20, BF Goodrich KO2 285/70R17, Bilsteins with +40 mm King coils / Ironman 0kg leafs, polybushes + SuperPro shackles, front camera, tailgate struts, Global Auto seat covers.
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

i reckon airbag compatible is a must. just my view! cheerd
GerryP
300 Club

Post by GerryP »

No response from Busted Knuckle Fab. Just checked their FB page and it's been a long time since their last post. I suspect they may be history... :(

Might look around to see what else is out there at a reasonable price. All I want is bars, not worried about steps or checker plate n stuff. I have noticed that a few only do dual cab and not Supercab... too small a market I guess.
Gerry
MY17 PX2 XLT Supercab
rkrenn
25 Club

Post by rkrenn »

I got my sliders for a super cab from scfabworks.com.au, might be worth checking out.

Richard
Richard
2017 PX2 XLT Supercab
GerryP
300 Club

Post by GerryP »

rkrenn wrote:I got my sliders for a super cab from scfabworks.com.au, might be worth checking out.

Richard
Cheers Richard, will do.
Gerry
MY17 PX2 XLT Supercab
DangerRanger
300 Club

Post by DangerRanger »

Every time I look at the factory side steps on a PX2 Ranger I keep thinking that something is missing - 4 firemen standing on each side :lol:
Expect the unexpected !
DangerRanger
300 Club

Post by DangerRanger »

G'day Gerry

Have you tried Trek Tech down at Wingfield - they custom make anything for everything - they will be making a bullbar for my Delica campervan in the very near future.

www.trektech.com.au

Cheers

Gazz
Expect the unexpected !
GerryP
300 Club

Post by GerryP »

Thanks Gazz, I'll check them out as well.

I do note that a lot (most) of the smaller places don't have side air bag compliance for their sliders. Not sure how this would pan out if you got t-boned??? :o
Gerry
MY17 PX2 XLT Supercab
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

DangerRanger wrote:Every time I look at the factory side steps on a PX2 Ranger I keep thinking that something is missing - 4 firemen standing on each side :lol:
danger, get into the summernats mindset mate, forget the firemen picture 8 promo bikini clad ladies hanging onto a ranger cutting laps around the summernats cruise root ;) cheers and gre-tings from the heart of horse powers !
MickJT
200 Club

Post by MickJT »

lincolnland wrote:our good mate mickjt has a wicked set of sliders. and he tests them very regularly! shoot him a pm for some expert advice :)
I can’t endorse my sliders anymore.
My sills are absolutely wrecked on both sides.
The sliders sit very snug and the brackets that connect to the chassis run very close to the sills.
I have dents directly above each bracket from when the sliders have pushed up while doing there intended function.
Also have had sticks get caught in the small gap between the sliders and sills to leaving dents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

holy sh1i1t i got that one wrong. so theyre no good mick. they look the part but dont deliver on the protection bit. not sure ive seen a ranger tested as well as youve used your rig mate. love it! cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
DangerRanger
300 Club

Post by DangerRanger »

MickJT wrote:I have dents directly above each bracket from when the sliders have pushed up while doing there intended function.
Hey Mick - if you slowed down a bit maybe they would work a bit better :lol: :lol: ;) ;)

Hope you had a good chrissy and new year :)

All the best mate

Cheers and beers

Danger
Expect the unexpected !
MrTBum
300 Club

Post by MrTBum »

Mick, you have Ironman sliders?

Chris
2016 Magnetic Grey Wildtrak-Auto
GerryP
300 Club

Post by GerryP »

What about TJM, they look ok and not too bad price wise?
Gerry
MY17 PX2 XLT Supercab
diomac
300 Club

Post by diomac »

Well I can vouch for my SCF made sliders, we were recently up the in the Hills and got caught in a bad hail storm our convoy pulled over to the shoulder and after we stopped the shoulder under the front left wheel collapsed putting the car in the major hole. The car just sat on the sliders while we winched out. No damage to the car what so ever and the sliders haven't moved. Very happy with the outcome.
Alberts FX4
100 Club

Post by Alberts FX4 »

diomac wrote:Well I can vouch for my SCF made sliders, we were recently up the in the Hills and got caught in a bad hail storm our convoy pulled over to the shoulder and after we stopped the shoulder under the front left wheel collapsed putting the car in the major hole. The car just sat on the sliders while we winched out. No damage to the car what so ever and the sliders haven't moved. Very happy with the outcome.
Are u the one with the orange wildtrak? Good to hear that the scf sliders held up. Im looking into getting a set

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
GerryP
300 Club

Post by GerryP »

I've sent SCF a message but they're not back at work till the 8th. They also look pretty good from what I've seen on-line.
Gerry
MY17 PX2 XLT Supercab
MickJT
200 Club

Post by MickJT »

DangerRanger wrote:
MickJT wrote:I have dents directly above each bracket from when the sliders have pushed up while doing there intended function.
Hey Mick - if you slowed down a bit maybe they would work a bit better :lol: :lol: ;) ;)

Hope you had a good chrissy and new year :)

All the best mate

Cheers and beers

Danger
I think I was going to slow and not letting them slide fast enough lol.
The new year will be packed full of adventure.
Hopefully see you when you make the trip back to VIC for another Lincoln trip .

MickJT
200 Club

Post by MickJT »

MrTBum wrote:Mick, you have Ironman sliders?

Hi Chris, nah I have Uneek4x4 sliders.

Ironman only do side steps and not sliders. Big difference.

diomac
300 Club

Post by diomac »

Alberts FX4 wrote:Are u the one with the orange wildtrak? Good to hear that the scf sliders held up. Im looking into getting a set

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I am indeed mate, funny thing is the day before I pulled a Troopy out of a ditch too.
MrTBum
300 Club

Post by MrTBum »

MickJT wrote:

Ah, didn't know that Ironman didn't do sliders. I also don't know why I assume you have lots of Ironman gear??!!

Lately I have been researching only steps/sliders that can be fitted with side rails. Really like the look, but not sure of how practical they are. The only slider that you can fit side rails to is the one you have, mick, from uneek. Not sure if there are others.

Chris
2016 Magnetic Grey Wildtrak-Auto
stasik-a4
300 Club

Post by stasik-a4 »

If you want really strong rick sliders, check out Dominator 4x4 on Facebook it's the same ones that i had on my ranger (if you do a search on F/B you will see my photos there also) and i was to do it again i wouldn't go with any one else.
GerryP
300 Club

Post by GerryP »

stasik-a4 wrote:If you want really strong rick sliders, check out Dominator 4x4 on Facebook it's the same ones that i had on my ranger (if you do a search on F/B you will see my photos there also) and i was to do it again i wouldn't go with any one else.
They're on ebay as well, good pricing and available either raw or powder coated. They look good.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dominator-4 ... 1438.l2649
Gerry
MY17 PX2 XLT Supercab
MickJT
200 Club

Post by MickJT »

MrTBum wrote:
MickJT wrote:

Ah, didn't know that Ironman didn't do sliders. I also don't know why I assume you have lots of Ironman gear??!!

Lately I have been researching only steps/sliders that can be fitted with side rails. Really like the look, but not sure of how practical they are. The only slider that you can fit side rails to is the one you have, mick, from uneek. Not sure if there are others.

Yeah I don’t know why you think I have a ironman everything ranger either lol.

Just have there rear bar and suspension. The rest is Rhino, ARB and Uneek.

If you don’t need the heavy duty protection of sliders and want the scrub rails that connect to them then heavy duty side steps are probably fine for you.

MickJT
200 Club

Post by MickJT »

GerryP wrote:
stasik-a4 wrote:If you want really strong rick sliders, check out Dominator 4x4 on Facebook it's the same ones that i had on my ranger (if you do a search on F/B you will see my photos there also) and i was to do it again i wouldn't go with any one else.
They're on ebay as well, good pricing and available either raw or powder coated. They look good.
They look good. How far away do the brackets sit below the sills? Mine are only like 10-15mm below and can touch the sills if the cars weight is on them.

I had to change a tyre on the track once and put the high lift under it. The sliders flex up and the brackets are touching.

They could easily re-design it to be better and it would be perfect. Except for the price lol.

Hoyks
300 Club

Post by Hoyks »

GerryP wrote:What about TJM, they look ok and not too bad price wise?
I got a set of TJM ones. They are at the heavier duty end, but still only sidesteps.

The mounts and tube are designed to crush in a side impact so as to maintain the SRS airbag compliance. They will stop a stick hitting the sill and gravel impacts along the bottom of the doors, but I wouldn't trust them not to buckle if being dragged over a rock.
IMG_0858.JPG
IMG_0859.JPG
IMG_0863.JPG
Bill68
300 Club

Rock Sliders

Post by Bill68 »

I have the tjm side steps and mine have copped a beating and i have managed to parallel one 50mm backwards on the mounts but this was on a massive hill climb where i struggling to get up before a big storm hit.
So my fault really as I've done a lot of rocky hill climbs and creek crossingsImage
stasik-a4
300 Club

Post by stasik-a4 »

MickJT wrote:
GerryP wrote:
They look good. How far away do the brackets sit below the sills? Mine are only like 10-15mm below and can touch the sills if the cars weight is on them.

If you are on F/B, then type in search bar Dominator 4x4 and you should see my post in Aussie 4WD ranger px forum of the sliders and you can see how strong they are and all i can say is good luck bending them...
GerryP
300 Club

Post by GerryP »

At least the TJM ones bolt to the chassis and not the body. Just chatting with my lad who has open sliders and he strongly suggested getting ones with say checker plate on them... he showed me all the stone damage to his sills from rocks and gravel flicking up between the bars.

I never realised there was so much to consider when I started looking. :shock:

Thanks heaps to everyone for their input.
Gerry
MY17 PX2 XLT Supercab
Bill68
300 Club

Rock Sliders

Post by Bill68 »

[quote="GerryP"]At least the TJM ones bolt to the chassis and not the body. Just chatting with my lad who has open sliders and he strongly suggested getting ones with say checker plate on them... he showed me all the stone damage to his sills from rocks and gravel flicking up between the bars.

I never realised there was so much to consider when I started looking. :shock:

Thanks heaps to everyone for their input. Image
sticks big enough to dents your sills still find a way

f1tzy1
25 Club

Post by f1tzy1 »

MickJT wrote:

Can also vouch for uneek sliders not sliding and just destroying my sill instead
Copie
200 Club

Post by Copie »

I have dominator 4x4 rails on my bt50, they seem to be pretty good, just heavy.