i upgraded sync 2 to sync 3

Non Ranger Related Subjects
vnhon2

i upgraded sync 2 to sync 3

Post by vnhon2 »

FORD RANGER SYNC 3 HARDARE UPGRADE / CONVERSION
Replacing Sync 2 with Sync 3

G’day all, I’m vnhon2.

I have a 2016 PX2 Ford Ranger with Sync 2 and I don’t really like it.. so I decided to upgrade to the Sync 3 system.

Found a local wreckers selling a 2017 PX2 with Sync 3 screen and decided to take the bite and upgrade mine!! If you were to purchase a screen from a different vehicle such as a Mustang, you’d need it to be reprogrammed for the ranger.

I’ve been rigorously following this specific forum forums on a user in the states who did this upgrade. Now I am sure mine was an easy upgrade as it is programmed to my specific car. (XLT)

Some of the wording I will use is copied and pasted from the states forums. To read: (http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=3881) Kudos to DanMc85.

Anyways with all this information out of the way I am super happy of how much more functionality i get out of sync 3. So much quicker and the best investment so far! I am especially happy I did not need to modify anything and it was just a quick transfer of screens with no new brackets needed!

Ford Sync 3 does not support the SD Card Reader that is built-in to the older Media / USB Hub's. Sync 3 doesn't use the GPSM Module behind the instrument cluster for navigation, as it needs its own GPS Antenna with a Blue Fakra connector.*If you leave both connected, your mini dash screen with the compass nav will start jumping from S to N or just random. You must disconnect the exisiting GPSM antenna on the ranger, read on and I will show you how to do it.

Sync 3 upgraded from Sync 2:

Parts:

INSTRUCTIONS

Removal of plastic trimmings;

I used some plastic trim removal tools I bought from Autobarn. You can also buy these at super cheap auto.

Remove these first! It makes removing the other plastics easier.

Remove left one piece vent

Remove right vent

Remove plastic trimming from right to centre

Pop this little cap open, after its open push down and put gear into D (This gives us more room to work with):

Unscrew the 2 bolts on both sides on the 12V ports & unplug them:

After removing them, unscrew these screws. 7mm hex bit:
Note that where I put the arrow there is two more screws hiding under! see second pic!

Now you can gently take it off lifting it upwards & unplug the two connectors ,you should see this.

Remove these 4 screws:

Now you should be able to take out sync 2 without hesitation. Take out the cables. To pull out the big one you need to push down in the middle then push they grey lever up and using that lever to disconnect the cable.

Now grab your new GPS antenna with the FAKRA connector and we are going to mount it where the old antenna was. (on top of the cluster)

Begin to remove the driver side aircon vent & unplug mirror cable:

Remove 4 screws to remove plastic cover for cluster and pull out (sorry bad pic):

Remove these 4 bolts (7mm hex), and after you removed them unlatch as shown:

unplug and remove cluster:

You will see the GPSM module tucked under the dash:

As you can see it is sitting on a metal plate, just push it out towards you and should come out like this:

Old GPSM module was stuck on via double sided tape. I took it off and put my new GPS antenna on it, also feeding the new lead to sync 3 head unit.

Plug everything in!

Reverse the install!

After the install, I used my existing usb module as I am waiting for a wiring loom to come. You will get this error but you can just ignore it. Everything will still work as per usual.

NOTE: I AM YET TO INSTALL THE NEW USB MODULE HUB. I will keep this thread updated.

The only extra things I needed to purchase were;

1. ANY Fakren GPS Antenna. I bought a cheap $20 one from eBay.
2. Wiring loom unless you know how to splice cable.
3. USB Module so that Carplay works. Exisiting USB Hub works with Andriod Auto but that USB hub error gets annoying.

Seriously happy with this upgrade. Sync 3 is so much better.

Saeb will release a full asbuild list soon as he is performing the same upgrade.

USB HUB MOUDLE REPLACEMENT UPDATE:

http://newranger.net/forums/viewtopic.p ... 85#p118385
Last edited by vnhon2 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlkWildtrak
300 Club

Re: i upgraded sync 2 to sync 3

Post by BlkWildtrak »

Thats a good write-up, well done.
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

mag bloody nif e sint. this is great. thanks for sharing great write up. how much $$$ were each of the parts? cheers and tanks :)
Neddysmith
200 Club

Post by Neddysmith »

Great write up, would be interested too in the cost of this, also would this be the same process for upgrading form an earlier system which came out with the wildtrak with the smaller 4 or 5in screen?

Obvioulsy would need the surround replaced as well.
vnhon2

Post by vnhon2 »

BlkWildtrak wrote:Thats a good write-up, well done.
Thanks!
lincolnland wrote:mag bloody nif e sint. this is great. thanks for sharing great write up. how much $$$ were each of the parts? cheers and tanks :)
Thanks! $750 all up.
Neddysmith wrote:Great write up, would be interested too in the cost of this, also would this be the same process for upgrading form an earlier system which came out with the wildtrak with the smaller 4 or 5in screen?

Obvioulsy would need the surround replaced as well.
Thank you, $750 it costed me including a new GPS antenna. I am not exactly sure but reading forums from the states people have changed from the original Sync 1 to Sync 3 with a custom fascia. Not too sure how the brackets would fit, I would imagine you would need custom ones. (Or you could 3D print them! :P)

Maybe best to see if you can find a cheap sync 2 screen and start experimenting. :)
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

what did it cost to do the swap stuie? how long to do it?
longneck75
100 Club

Post by longneck75 »

Tyre pressure numbers I like. I like a lot.
Uncle_Roy
300 Club

Post by Uncle_Roy »

Can you still customise the background like sync 2?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Ride - 2016 PXII Wildtrak Aluminium Tech Pak
- Mods: Tailgate Central Locking, gas strut & Bushwacker cap, Whisbar Racks, Ridge Rider 120w 23" bar
longneck75
100 Club

Post by longneck75 »

I've never been able to get my android auto to work
GerryP
300 Club

Post by GerryP »

Uncle_Roy wrote:Can you still customise the background like sync 2?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
No, but there are a series of different screen options you can choose from using forscan.
Gerry
MY17 PX2 XLT Supercab
Restoring... '65 XP Falcon Futura Hardtop
GerryP
300 Club

Post by GerryP »

longneck75 wrote:I've never been able to get my android auto to work
It only works by physically plugging the phone into one of the usb ports. It won't work with bluetooth.
Just saying in case you're not aware of that limitation.
Gerry
MY17 PX2 XLT Supercab
Restoring... '65 XP Falcon Futura Hardtop
Copie
200 Club

Post by Copie »

GerryP wrote:
longneck75 wrote:I've never been able to get my android auto to work
It only works by physically plugging the phone into one of the usb ports. It won't work with bluetooth.
Just saying in case you're not aware of that limitation.
CarPlay is the same.

It’s due to the required bandwidth to operate the units which BT4.0 can’t handle.

Wifi and the new BT 5.0 standard will be able to however.
longneck75
100 Club

Post by longneck75 »

Yeah phones plugged in, nd charging etc but dosent register with android auto

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
vnhon2

Post by vnhon2 »

longneck75 wrote:Yeah phones plugged in, nd charging etc but dosent register with android auto

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Have you enabled it via SETTINGS > ANDRIOD AUTO > Enable?

Its usually disabled from stock
jaygee83
50 Club

Post by jaygee83 »

Stewart, is the upgrade worth it? I'm trying to weigh up whether cost is worth the upgrade?

Any chance you can list part numbers for items required, or are you getting all parts from wreck?
2016 PX2 Ford Ranger XLT, Dual Cab - SYNC3
MCC Phoenix, Fyrlyt Nemesis, TJM Airtec, ARB Sliders, EGR Canopy
Bush Skinz & TJM Plates, ARB Frontier, Radflo & EFS, Fuel Wheels w/ KO2's
Intervolt DCC, GME TX3550, Lightforce Fascia w/ TowPro Elite
longneck75
100 Club

Post by longneck75 »

yep and yep lol... ive given up, its no big deal.
dan1481

Post by dan1481 »

Great tutorial mate great work. Can you confirm that you didn't have to do any APIM reprogramming that it was just a straight swap?
Cheers
Dan
vnhon2

Post by vnhon2 »

dan1481 wrote:Great tutorial mate great work. Can you confirm that you didn't have to do any APIM reprogramming that it was just a straight swap?
Cheers
Dan
Refer to above post form Stewart. FYI Stewart can program to specific vehicles. This is recommended.
vnhon2

Post by vnhon2 »

==== USB MODULE REPLACEMENT UPDATE ====

Got my module, and have my cable harness adapter to convert the old USB hub to the newer USB hub so I can get rid of that USB hub error & use Car Play.

Remove the 12 volt module: (dont forget to remove the side panels)

https://i.imgur.com/CKyM17Kl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/V3TIRDLl.jpg

Remove the little cap, and put the shifter into N or D and start prying the sides of the fascia to remove it. Unplug all connectors leading to the moudles. (4WD switcher, The buttons for traction control, etc.):

You will see this! The Media hub connector. Unplug both cables that are plugged into the hub.

Now after unplugging, I plugged my harness adapter into the plug and other end will go into new USB module.

If you are using a wiring harness from ford you will need to to this: (Solder recommended)

USB Interface Power Connector Wiring Guide:

Installation of WPT1239 Harness (Utilizing Pins 1 and 4):

Pin 1 is going to Pin 1 on Existing Media Hub Harness - Yellow/Blue Wire
Pin 4 is going to Pin 10 on Existing Media Hub Harness - White/Blue Wire
Pins 2 and 3 are NOT used and should be taped off, Pin 4 is the one closest to connector release tab

Take the old module out of the fascia. Squeeze the plastic grips on the back to get them out. They're all around the module.

Insert the new USB module inside the fascia, and plug in all the required plugs:

Reverse the install and put plastics back to where they were, and wallah! Apple Car play and new light up USB hub :)

Rastus
25 Club

Post by Rastus »

Very keen on doing this to mine. Went to the wreckers, and found a Sync 3 screen, matching USB module and part of the newer loom to splice. All for a ripper price.
Unfortunately, I then realised the screen had a tiny chip out of it, and my perfectionism wouldn't have it...damn. Warranted, but still. If i got it, I'd see it every time I got in the car. :?
Ah well, on the hunt again I guess.
Russell.
2016 PXII Ranger XLT
4x4 Auto Double Cab
in Aluminium. Now Sync3 (was Sync2)
vnhon2

Post by vnhon2 »

Rastus wrote:Very keen on doing this to mine. Went to the wreckers, and found a Sync 3 screen, matching USB module and part of the newer loom to splice. All for a ripper price.
Unfortunately, I then realised the screen had a tiny chip out of it, and my perfectionism wouldn't have it...damn. Warranted, but still. If i got it, I'd see it every time I got in the car. :?
Russell.
At least you got a USB Module and the loom splice. :)
Rastus
25 Club

Post by Rastus »

saeb wrote:You have seen what my USB hub looks like, not excited. :( Ordered a new one and used the crap one with the splice for now.
What's no good in your install Stewart? The hub itself, or the splicing?
I didn't end up getting the hub or foot of new loom after knocking back the screen. Maybe I should have so I only have to chase screen.
Russell.
2016 PXII Ranger XLT
4x4 Auto Double Cab
Rastus
25 Club

Post by Rastus »

saeb wrote:The hub works but is missing the fascia so I cannot fully install, it does work though. I have ordered a replacement from elsewhere and will swap straight over once it arrives.

Unfortunately wreckers can be difficult to deal with and I'm hoping to find a good one some day that will go out of their way to pull specific parts of the vehicle and not damaged either.

Why did you knock back the screen?
I was all set to buy the screen, hub & length of loom when I noticed it. It was a 2-3mm diameter chip that had taken the surface off the screen. I didn't see it originally, but once seen I couldn't un-see it :?
I was focusing on finding the hub initially. The screen come off the shelf and I wasn't sure it was a sync 3 unit due to the July '16 date on the sticker being right on the crossover, so finding the hub from the same car confirmed it.
Edit: There's no issue in splicing the new hub to the old loom if you have some of the new loom is there?
2016 PXII Ranger XLT
4x4 Auto Double Cab
vnhon2

Post by vnhon2 »

saeb wrote:
vnhon2 wrote:
Rastus wrote:Very keen on doing this to mine. Went to the wreckers, and found a Sync 3 screen, matching USB module and part of the newer loom to splice. All for a ripper price.
Russell.
At least you got a USB Module and the loom splice. :)
You have seen what my USB hub looks like, not excited. :( Ordered a new one and used the crap one with the splice for now.

At least you have a brand spankin new one coming hehe :))
Rastus
25 Club

Post by Rastus »

saeb wrote:
Rastus wrote:
saeb wrote:The hub works but is missing the fascia so I cannot fully install, it does work though. I have ordered a replacement from elsewhere and will swap straight over once it arrives.

Unfortunately wreckers can be difficult to deal with and I'm hoping to find a good one some day that will go out of their way to pull specific parts of the vehicle and not damaged either.

Why did you knock back the screen?
I was all set to buy the screen, hub & length of loom when I noticed it. It was a 2-3mm diameter chip that had taken the surface off the screen. I didn't see it originally, but once seen I couldn't un-see it :?
I was focusing on finding the hub initially. The screen come off the shelf and I wasn't sure it was a sync 3 unit due to the July '16 date on the sticker being right on the crossover, so finding the hub from the same car confirmed it.
Edit: There's no issue in splicing the new hub to the old loom if you have some of the new loom is there?
I got about 6 inches of the loom cut when I purchase the new hub, it is more than enough and 2 wires need to be cut and soldered then doe.

With any modules I purchase I always try to get the plug and small amount of loom.
Went back & got the USB hub & bit of loom. One less thing to track down later on. Have to wait on a screen. Image

Question...With all these Fakra GPS antennas on ebay, they're a generic thing are they? This one would suffice? > https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GPS-Active- ... xyJ8ZRhfkp
Cheers.
Russell.
2016 PXII Ranger XLT
4x4 Auto Double Cab
vnhon2

Post by vnhon2 »

Rastus wrote:
Question...With all these Fakra GPS antennas on ebay, they're a generic thing are they? This one would suffice? > https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GPS-Active- ... xyJ8ZRhfkp
Cheers.
Russell.
Any one will work as long as it has a FAKRA connector.
Rastus
25 Club

Post by Rastus »

vnhon2 wrote:
Rastus wrote:
Cheers.
Russell.
Any one will work as long as it has a FAKRA connector.
Cool, thanks vnhon2. Thought as much.
2016 PXII Ranger XLT
4x4 Auto Double Cab
Rastus
25 Club

Post by Rastus »

saeb wrote:I'm also looking at a genuine antenna. I find I have errors at times where it will not pick up the antenna being probably offline too long. Easy way to offer ride is to add test mode menu to apim then you can clear the fault then it is back to normal. Will post a how to on that in time also.
Is that another thing that can be gotten out of a wrecked Ranger, a genuine antenna? I know the ones listed as being Ford on eBay have the pink connector, and the listings seem US-centric.
2016 PXII Ranger XLT
4x4 Auto Double Cab
SHANE3157

Post by SHANE3157 »

Rastus wrote:
saeb wrote:I'm also looking at a genuine antenna. I find I have errors at times where it will not pick up the antenna being probably offline too long. Easy way to offer ride is to add test mode menu to apim then you can clear the fault then it is back to normal. Will post a how to on that in time also.
Is that another thing that can be gotten out of a wrecked Ranger, a genuine antenna? I know the ones listed as being Ford on eBay have the pink connector, and the listings seem US-centric.

I did receive a genuine GPSM as part of my package from the wrecker today, but unfortunately the cable to it is part of a main loom. Just ordered a Ebay jobby but I'll order a Female to Female Fakra extn cable just in case. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2M-FAKRA-Fe ... SwshVcxutt

Let you know how it goes when I get a chance to install.

Cheers
Rastus
25 Club

Post by Rastus »

SHANE3157 wrote:
Rastus wrote:

I did receive a genuine GPSM as part of my package from the wrecker today, but unfortunately the cable to it is part of a main loom. Just ordered a Ebay jobby but I'll order a Female to Female Fakra extn cable just in case. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2M-FAKRA-Fe ... SwshVcxutt

Let you know how it goes when I get a chance to install.

Cheers
That’s what I ended up doing Shane. 1.8m female to female fakra cable. Clipped the new factory antenna I got in the same position as the original Sync2 gps module and I’ve had no dramas at all.
2016 PXII Ranger XLT
4x4 Auto Double Cab
SHANE3157

Post by SHANE3157 »

Rastus, got impatient waiting for the cable so I order a cheap antenna and installed it, works fine. In the meantime I have enough RG316 cable and connectors to make up say 4x 1M female to female leads if anyone wants to go down the factory antenna path - free. Is there a post on upgrading the Sync3 software as we are not able to do so through the Ford Owners site. Mine is currently V2.0
andrich

Post by andrich »

Just completed my Sync 2 to 3 upgrade.
The instructions were awesome. Made it a piece of cake to do.

Sync 3 if soooooo much better. Well worth the upgrade,

cheers
m_attt
200 Club

Post by m_attt »

Does anyone know where the gps module is located on sync 3 vehicles to remove it from a breaker. Regards
krameegeerej

Post by krameegeerej »

Hello. I just want to confirm, do I need to set the VIN? I was able to find a head unit set from a 2018 Wildtrak and my Ranger is a 2016 Wildtrak. I was able to talk to someone and told me that I need to set VIN for the new head unit but as stated on your post, you only needed to do that if your head unit is from another type of vehicle like you said if I you were to install a head unit from mustang to ranger then you need to set it.
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Saab.net
Ford Nam

Post by Ford Nam »

I saw this thread, now I am very interested.... :mrgreen: I have the same model Ford Ranger 2016 XLT RHD. Getting sync 3 from wrecker is impossible. Can you pit everything together and ship to me?