Snorkels - factory or aftermarket?

Non Ranger Related Subjects
widemr
100 Club

Post by widemr »

Just wanted to get people opinions on the different snorkels available and reasons to choose one over the others.

While my vehicle is brand new and under warranty im trying to keep things factory and not drilling holes etc, so i really like the idea of the genuine ford snorkel and not needing to drill holes in the guard or A pillar, but wanting to know what advantages there are for using an aftermarket like Safari?

Is it for better flow/larger piping or cost or both?

Anyone have issues with the genuine ford one on a factory tuned car? ie would larger piping actually help or be needed?

Ive seen people have issues with the Chinese knock off genuine ones, with fitting issues and i believe the interconnecting pipes in the wheel arch may be smaller and dont have the little air reserve like the genuine ford one?
Is the knock off smaller at the top of the snorkel?
The knock off ones seem to be about 5 times less $ than the genuine but from some people reviews and past experience with knock off junk and genuine items, ill stick with the genuine one any day, ill just wait a bit longer to save the extra coins needed.

Im not planning on needing it for river crossings (well not for many years) but more for gravel road driving
2017 Wildtrak Magnetic Grey
jstanovic
300 Club

Re: Snorkels - factory or aftermarket?

Post by jstanovic »

I prefer the look of the genuine one over the others (I have a cheap knock off haha). Unless you are modifying the power output of your motor I don't think there is a measurable difference between the Ford and others.
2014 PX1 XLT auto
LethalLeigh
200 Club

Post by LethalLeigh »

A lot of the cheapies don't have the UV resistance of the better ones so go brittle and crack/split not too long after purchase. Fitment generally not too bad but longevity is questionable...
axs
200 Club

Post by axs »

I think there's a significant difference between a cheap snorkel (eBay chinese crap, KutSnake, etc) and a reputable brand (Safari, TJM, etc), so I aways buy a reputable brand.
I've read on other 4WD forums where people installed cheap snorkels and the snorkel failed in a year or two, often due to the plastic brittling and cracking from weather/UV exposure, or the fittings were poor quality and broke from rough dirt tracks. I'll never understand why people risk thousands of $$ of engine damage to save a few hundred $ on a snorkel.

I've never seen an airflow test between the snorkel brands, but given they're all basically the same shape and dimensions, I doubt there's much difference.

The argument over a 3" or 4" snorkel is usually moot because snorkels are generally installed to the standard airbox inlet in the front guard. A 4" snorkel won't perform better when the inlet is a bottleneck.

I prefer the look of TJM or a stainless snorkel because I think they suit the styling of the Ranger better.

I'm not familiar with the Ford snorkel: Who is the manufacturer? Is the Ford snorkel properly silicon sealed at the joins? How much is a Ford snorkel?
Silkwood
75 Club

Post by Silkwood »

I've just had the TJM "Wedgetail" snorkel fitted. Lower profile, no other reason. I couldn't see any relevant arguments for one brand or another.

I fitted a budget Chinese model onto my Delica 6 years ago. It was an absolute pain to fit, did not want to line up properly. It is still going strong, however, no deterioration evident in the plastics or the s/steel fittings.

Cheers,

Mark
widemr
100 Club

Post by widemr »

Heres a pic of the genuine ford one. Not sure who makes it.

There are 3 connection points (all inside the wheel arch) that the fitting instructions say to apply sealant to, would be easy to seal up well.

Nice thing is no need to drill massive hole in guard, you remove the fake grill vent and snorkel enters there. Plus top mounting is via roof holes for roof rack/rail.

Price is high compared to others, not sure what RRP or Trade price is but ebay shops that sell genuine ford parts lists around $600 mark

Leckie
50 Club

Post by Leckie »

The argument over a 3" or 4" snorkel is usually moot because snorkels are generally installed to the standard airbox inlet in the front guard. A 4" snorkel won't perform better when the inlet is a bottleneck.

Totally agree I think the Safari ARMAX is the only one (ive seen anyaway) that does 4" into the box.
Gunmetal
300 Club

Post by Gunmetal »

Ironman doesn't require any cutting of the guard to fit, had mine 4 years now and zero problems or issues.
axs
200 Club

Post by axs »

Leckie wrote:Totally agree I think the Safari ARMAX is the only one (ive seen anyaway) that does 4" into the box.
That's good to know. Does it require cutting a new hole into the airbox, then?
Gazza22
25 Club

Post by Gazza22 »

I went for cheap ebay clone from Thailand and was impressed with what i got for my $98 delivered.I don't do much heavy off roading but there was a bullbar fitted when i brought the vehicle and was worried about the water that is suppose to splash up in the guard with the bumper removed.
It had good s/s bolts and washers that screwed into brass inserts plus s/s hose clamps. The only problem i had was the rubber hose that joined the plastic tube that runs along the guard it was too short so i replaced it with a longer one. I had to massage the hole through the inner guard to make it a bit larger to get the larger hose into the airbox so it is now 3" all the way from the snorkel to the airbox. I sealed every join with sickaflex and covered the two s/s rivets with it as well where the top bracket fits in the drip channel.
Once fitted i finished it off with the side indicator and got my local sign man to make me up a sticker :-)

https://imgur.com/a/pE7cH
Leckie
50 Club

Post by Leckie »

axs wrote:
Leckie wrote:Totally agree I think the Safari ARMAX is the only one (ive seen anyaway) that does 4" into the box.
That's good to know. Does it require cutting a new hole into the airbox, then?
Yes it does you cut the side out of the air box and the inner guard gets cut too. Bit of a job but the safari kit is exceptional and top quality .
https://www.safari4x4.com.au/images/pro ... _guide.pdf
jstanovic
300 Club

Post by jstanovic »

Gazza22 wrote:I went for cheap ebay clone from Thailand and was impressed with what i got for my $98 delivered.I don't do much heavy off roading but there was a bullbar fitted when i brought the vehicle and was worried about the water that is suppose to splash up in the guard with the bumper removed.
It had good s/s bolts and washers that screwed into brass inserts plus s/s hose clamps. The only problem i had was the rubber hose that joined the plastic tube that runs along the guard it was too short so i replaced it with a longer one. I had to massage the hole through the inner guard to make it a bit larger to get the larger hose into the airbox so it is now 3" all the way from the snorkel to the airbox. I sealed every join with sickaflex and covered the two s/s rivets with it as well where the top bracket fits in the drip channel.
Once fitted i finished it off with the side indicator and got my local sign man to make me up a sticker :-)

https://imgur.com/a/pE7cH
SNAP! But mine cost me $99...

2014 PX1 XLT auto
macca888
75 Club

Post by macca888 »

The discussion continues regarding the best or the easiest to install or the most as-ethic. I am currently looking at which one to install.
I recently completed a Vic High Country trip where we crossed over 30 rivers crossings. Only 2 of those crossings had water coming over the bonnet. Worried without a snorkel....you bet! I placed a bra across the front (see pic) and at no time did water enter the box. However, the dust was unbelievable. When I arrived back in Brisbane I checked the paper air filter and wow, full of dust so bought a new one. ImageImage
So on from that experience. We are doing the Simpson etc. later this year and the Cape next year. So a snorkel it a must.
But which one is the question. Will the Ford snorkel do the same job as a Safari?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pitch
25 Club

Post by pitch »

Had a TJM airtek fitted
snorkel (4)_edited.jpg
Neddysmith
200 Club

Post by Neddysmith »

The other good thing with the Ford OEM one is it appears itll fit fit with a Ranger fitted with Flares whereas some of the others look like the flares will get in the way or need modifying
macca888
75 Club

Post by macca888 »

Has anyone fitted a Tanami snorkel. Apart from the factory Ford snorkel, the Tanami is the only one that will fit without cutting my flares. Any comments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alberts FX4
100 Club

Post by Alberts FX4 »

Just got my phatbars one. Will post a photo once i fit it on the weekend

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
iainboyd

Post by iainboyd »

The Ford genuine snorkel (and others of similar design) have two distinct advantages, 1.) no drilling and cutting of the drivers side guard, they fit into the air intake grille - 2.) they do not interfere with the fitment of wheel arch flares.
widemr
100 Club

Post by widemr »

Thanks everyone, i think ill get a genuine ford one.

I was worried because most rangers i see have an aftermarket one like safari that there may be an issue with factory one, ie to restrictive, but i guess most cases they pick an aftermarket brand because thats what they know and have had on their other cars or because of cost or both or like the look of a stainless one etc.

Happy to see noone so far has bad review of genuine ford ones.
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

id go the safari aussie made snork every time. ive had 3 rangers. my px1 had a non cut "pot belly" safari snork. requires no cutting fits as per then genuine ford item but flows more air. my px2 has the guard length revised safari snork. again made in Australia. cheaper than a genuine ford unit when i installed it, made in Australia so supporting a local manufacturer and works a treat. entirely up to your personalpreference sir, as long as it keeps the water out and suits your budget. cheers.
iainboyd

Post by iainboyd »

lincolnland wrote:id go the safari aussie made snork every time. ive had 3 rangers. my px1 had a non cut "pot belly" safari snork. requires no cutting fits as per then genuine ford item but flows more air. my px2 has the guard length revised safari snork. again made in Australia. cheaper than a genuine ford unit when i installed it, made in Australia so supporting a local manufacturer and works a treat. entirely up to your personalpreference sir, as long as it keeps the water out and suits your budget. cheers.
I will all but guarantee you that Safari Snorkels are manufactured overseas, as are 90% of 4WD accessories. It makes economic sense to have your product made O/S, for example in Thailand the workers receive no holiday pay, no sick leave, no superannuation, no redundancy payments, no workplace insurances and an hourly rate of around AUD$15 per hour for anything up to a 50 hour week. In their workplace they use the same 21st century technology robotics as Australian workers would so the quality of manufacture is the same. I was saddened to see that my new ROH "Beadlocker" alloy wheels, once an iconic Aussie home made brand are now made in Taiwan.
At least in buying "Australian" the profits remain here even if the employment goes overseas.
iainboyd

Post by iainboyd »

widemr wrote:Thanks everyone, i think ill get a genuine ford one.

I was worried because most rangers i see have an aftermarket one like safari that there may be an issue with factory one, ie to restrictive, but i guess most cases they pick an aftermarket brand because thats what they know and have had on their other cars or because of cost or both or like the look of a stainless one etc.

Happy to see noone so far has bad review of genuine ford ones.
I'm more than happy with mine and I think appearance also has a lot of influence rather than practicality, in that vein I'd be very interested to find out just how many members have actually crossed a river or a creek deep enough to warrant having a snorkel fitted.
I had a Safari snorkel fitted to my old Disco and in 12 years of overland driving in it (640,000 kilometres) I can count on one hand the number of times I actually needed it. The rest of the creek crossings I encountered were well below what would have been the standard filter intake height.
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

iainboyd wrote:
lincolnland wrote:id go the safari aussie made snork every time. ive had 3 rangers. my px1 had a non cut "pot belly" safari snork. requires no cutting fits as per then genuine ford item but flows more air. my px2 has the guard length revised safari snork. again made in Australia. cheaper than a genuine ford unit when i installed it, made in Australia so supporting a local manufacturer and works a treat. entirely up to your personalpreference sir, as long as it keeps the water out and suits your budget. cheers.
I will all but guarantee you that Safari Snorkels are manufactured overseas, as are 90% of 4WD accessories. It makes economic sense to have your product made O/S, for example in Thailand the workers receive no holiday pay, no sick leave, no superannuation, no redundancy payments, no workplace insurances and an hourly rate of around AUD$15 per hour for anything up to a 50 hour week. In their workplace they use the same 21st century technology robotics as Australian workers would so the quality of manufacture is the same. I was saddened to see that my new ROH "Beadlocker" alloy wheels, once an iconic Aussie home made brand are now made in Taiwan.
At least in buying "Australian" the profits remain here even if the employment goes overseas.
nufsed.

iainboyd

Post by iainboyd »

Accepted. For how much longer remains to be seen, all of ARB, Opposite Lock and Ironman are made O/S which is why their after tax bottom lines are so healthy
Gazza22
25 Club

Post by Gazza22 »

iainboyd:
I'm more than happy with mine and I think appearance also has a lot of influence rather than practicality, in that vein I'd be very interested to find out just how many members have actually crossed a river or a creek deep enough to warrant having a snorkel fitted.
I had a Safari snorkel fitted to my old Disco and in 12 years of overland driving in it (640,000 kilometres) I can count on one hand the number of times I actually needed it. The rest of the creek crossings I encountered were well below what would have been the standard filter intake height.[/quote]

It's not the question of how deep of water you go in is. I installed mine because it had an arb bullbar already fitted when i brought my ranger and to fit them you have to cut most of the front bumper away. This allows water to get up into the guard where the airbox pick up is behind the headlight. I fitted my snorkel to make sure i didn't suck any water in the intake when it splashes up into there. Also an added benefit was the inlet hole to the airbox was only as big as a 50 cent piece so i have improved the air intake and that's got to help, :-)
Attachments
WP_20171112_20_08_39_Pro (Small).jpg
Trublu

Post by Trublu »

I did not install my snorkel for water crossing but mainly for cooler & cleaner air intake as I tow a van, if I happen to need to cross water at least the snorkel will come in handy for the job.
widemr
100 Club

Post by widemr »

So its been a year since i started this thread, got delayed a bit, with some free time due to the lockdown finally getting some stuff done on the car.

I ended up going with the Safari snorkel because of the flow, good reputation and as per linc said made in Australia and made in Melbourne.

I went with the V-Spec instead of the larger armax due to less cutting, dont need to modify inner guard or cut half airbox apart.

Installation was very easy. Good hardware, instructions and template was spot on, everything fitted well and no issues.

20200508_095754s.jpg
20200508_103852s.jpg
20200508_123148s.jpg
Airbox inlet sealed with Sikaflex 227. I have left the factory drain inplace, i dont plan on doing alot of deep crossings, i can seal with tape from inside the airbox if i had to as a temp seal for a crossing if required.
20200508_151057s.jpg
20200508_151401sm.jpg
As recomended by Lincolnland, who said recomended by mickjt, bought some 3mm rubber seal from Bunnings for the airbox lid
20200508_124137s.jpg
Grant L1
300 Club

Post by Grant L1 »

pitch wrote:Had a TJM airtek fitted
snorkel (4)_edited.jpg
Place a mirror under the inlet pipe to airbag and make sure they sealed the joint properly.