Roadsafe Front Recovery Points for PX2

Non Ranger Related Subjects
markmark03
100 Club

Post by markmark03 »

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any pics of the roadsafe front recovery points on their rig?

What are people’s thoughts on these?

I have a Ranger riding at standard height and think that these points may run too low.

Anyone know any other options? I don’t have a bullbar so I think roadsafe are my only choice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jasonmacd
50 Club

Re: Roadsafe Front Recovery Points for PX2

Post by Jasonmacd »

I do, not the intended use for the points only put on the day before, turbo blew up on the way to Fraser Island.

I’ll take some more photos tomorrow and how to install easier than I did

metal89
100 Club

Post by metal89 »

My mate turbo blew exactly the same way. Required motor in the end.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

they hang way too low. i looked closely at these, then witnessed theyre lack of clearance and snag ability on a recent trip away on another members rig. mini dozer blade ;) have a look at the iron man recovery points
markmark03
100 Club

Post by markmark03 »

Thanks for the replies so far. I have looked at both Ironman and uneek but they both work when a bullbar has been installed. I have the standard XLS front end and both of these points are tucked up too high.

There is another brand called Medicar which I haven’t heard of before but they mimic the tie down points. Unfortunately, you need to drill out a hole in the chassis which I don’t want to do.

Any others, please send through your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks again

Edsel

Post by Edsel »

Markmark, I put a pair on my PX1 XLT. Yes they hang a bit low but this means my Smartbar is cleared and you can get at them. Also they may act as a skid block prior to your bash plate or CVJ copping a whack. Tip is to fully assemble bolts and nuts using lubricant if necessary. Then undo and proceed with the fiddly fitting process. Removing bash plate first recommended. Good luck.

Edsel
widemr
100 Club

Post by widemr »

Heres a pic of them installed on my car.
20180203_141416_s.jpg
20180203_141431_s.jpg
20180203_141406_S_NP.jpg
2017 Wildtrak Magnetic Grey
markmark03
100 Club

Post by markmark03 »

Thanks guys! Appreciate the tips and pictures!!

hutchid
300 Club

Post by hutchid »

Hi guys, those that have fitted medicar or roadsafe: How do you get the "Nuts on Wire" into the chassis? I've read one suggestion they need to go in from the front by removing front bars and plates but is there another easier way like a nice big slot in the chassis rail somewhere? I've scanned with a torch and searched the other threads but the answer hasn't hit me yet. The Roadsafe installation instructions are quite detailed but don't answer this either.
thanks
d
Jasonmacd
50 Club

Post by Jasonmacd »

Front driver side go in from front rear 2 fo in from hole in chassis rail near front shock
Jasonmacd
50 Club

Post by Jasonmacd »

Will correct tomorrow had 3 or more cans tonight
widemr
100 Club

Post by widemr »

Just in via existing holes in the rails. Nuts are on wires, its quite fiddly tho. I had to undo my drivers front body mount to get the front bolt in, had to remove the wheel arch lining to get to the nut for the body mount.
2017 Wildtrak Magnetic Grey
Jasonmacd
50 Club

Post by Jasonmacd »

Had the same issue with mine, I think if you do that one first might’ve been easier but I already had the 2 back ones on
hutchid
300 Club

Post by hutchid »

Thanks for the answers , very helpful.
Just an FYI the Medicar product is currently out of stock, but they are keeping a record of interested parties and will be in touch when new stock comes in. Get you name on the list if you are interested.
Margaret is very prompt returning messages (info@medicar.com.au)
Rosspat
300 Club

Post by Rosspat »

I have them fitted and I don't have an issue with them because I only use my Ranger seriously in sand, beach fishing.

Mine is standard height and I have 220mm clearance.
px.jpg
2018 Winning Blue XLT
Mattj

Post by Mattj »

Hi Rosspat

I am considering getting these recovery points on my Ranger, any update on how they have been since you installed them?

Cheers
Matt
sras
50 Club

Post by sras »

I have the medicar ones on a PX1 XLS with no bull bar. They looked like a pain to install so I got my mechanic to do it during a service.
I have a 2 inch lift and I thing a snatch strap would hit the front bib during a recovery. I imagine it would be worse at standard height.
hutchid
300 Club

Post by hutchid »

good choice, so they came back into stock then recently then?
scottoz
100 Club

Post by scottoz »

Roadsafe where is the best place to get them

Thanks
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Ebay or tjm airport west
Rosspat
300 Club

Post by Rosspat »

Mattj wrote:Hi Rosspat

I am considering getting these recovery points on my Ranger, any update on how they have been since you installed them?

Cheers
Matt
Never had to use them, but I have done a lot of beach fishing and they haven't stopped my progress.

Maxtrax was all that was needed.

The other higher ones can't fit with an ARB bull bar, can't remember the brand.
2018 Winning Blue XLT
Excouncil

Post by Excouncil »

I use the ones built into my MCB rocker bar .
This works well with a winch .
I Would not use these with a snatch rope , clearly this would bugger up the impact absorbing thing of the airbag triggering thing of the ; well ; you see what I mean .

So , snatching from ahead of the chassis rail crumple point is gonna be bad news .

applying a more gentle load as in winching from here is not a problem .

I would think that if you lay under the vehicle and just look and work out the load paths , it would all be obvious which to use

for the type of recovery required . You really want two points , why ?

We all want a high and convenient place to pull the vehicle from . Ford did not think about this when they did their thing with making the Ranger !!!!!!!

what is to stop a competent fabricator from attaching a pair of , say 10mm , wire ropes ; to a place on the chassis that is rearward of the crumple zone and , attaching them to a convenient point on a bull bar that would kill the two birds with the one stone ? One could hold these in place with nylon cable ties an it would ( could be made to ) look like it was supposed to be there .

So , I have remade the original tie down point on my ute .

basically double the material and it works well .
Another option here that avoids the need to pinch your nose closed and fumble around in the wet slush , is to attach a generously
rated piece of wire rope to this point and , then one can winch , snatch , whip and flagellate to ones hearts content from this point untill, the cows come home or the world is mercifully ( hopefully ) put to an end . No?
Excouncil

Post by Excouncil »

Having a further think about this ,
One could insert a pin thru one or both chassis rail/s and run the rope inside the rail ,
run it to the rear side of the bull bar and anchor it there in a type of clevis fixture .
Directly in front of that , use the rope anchor bolts to attach a loop or hook to the front of the bar and there is your now
built in , conveniently located , recovery point/s .
DoppelBT

Post by DoppelBT »

Resurrecting an old thread here, but hopefully this helps somebody else. I've just installed the Roadsafe recovery points RP-RAN02 on a stock 2018 BT50. Total time was about 4 hours for 2 people.

Some tips and hints:
  • Take of the sump guard, and the plastic trim that clips on to the outside of the chassis rail (as shown in the instructions).
  • The nuts-on-wire (NOW) go in through a slightly bigger hole on the inside (engine side) of the chassis rail, roughly in line with the middle of the three mounting holes
  • We had to slightly chamfer the tops of the nuts to get them through the hole
  • Take the time to get the wires bent properly so that the NOW plate sits flat against the inside of the rail, or the bolts won't start.
  • For the forward-most bolt on the driver's side, we had to remove the body mount bolt to get enough room to manoeuvre the bolt.
  • Didn't need to remove the wheel arch liner, which we worked out after it was removed.
  • The locating pins weren't very useful, and didn't line up on the passenger side.
  • Definitely a two person job - one to wiggle the NOWs and the other to get the bolt started.
  • No cutting of the bumper required; fit looks similar to the Ranger.