BFG T/A KO2

Non Ranger Related Subjects
Edsel

BFG T/A KO2

Post by Edsel »

Hi Folks;

Looking to buy a set of BFG T/A KO2s in size LT265/65/R17. Meant to have raised white lettering.

Oz website doesn't detail place of manufacture. I fear they might get sourced from SE Asia rather than the USA. Are forum members seeing 'Made In USA' on their sidewalls? What 2 character factory code do you see following the 'DOT' label? For example, 'W8' is a partner company plant in Thailand whereas 'BF' is the Uniroyal/Goodrich plant in Indiana USA.
If not made in the USA, might be tempted by the Toyo Open Country A2 made in Japan.

Cheers, Edsel.
Grant L1
300 Club

Re: BFG T/A KO2

Post by Grant L1 »

You won't be sorry if you choose the Toyo's. Mine have been excellent and I will be putting a new set on shortly.
hutchid
300 Club

Post by hutchid »

Hi Edsel
Thanks I didn’t know that, I bought these a year ago in Melbourne. The white lettering is on one side only. You instruct the fitter with your preference facing in or out.
I went one size up to 265 70 17 and it’s been ideal for me.
All the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rjbarrington
300 Club

Post by rjbarrington »

My old 265/65R18 E RWL sourced locally are Made in USA, with code BE 2A.

My new 285/70R17 C RBL sourced from Summit Racing in the US, are Made in USA with code BE BF.

The "Made in USA" was only on one side of the tyre (e.g. white letter side).

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk
Richard

2015 PX2 Wildtrak: Alpha canopy, EGR flares, Ray's Daytona FDX-F6 17x8 +20, BF Goodrich KO2 285/70R17, Bilsteins with +40 mm King coils / Ironman 0kg leafs, polybushes + SuperPro shackles, front camera, tailgate struts, Global Auto seat covers.
Edsel

Post by Edsel »

Thanks for the replies so far.

Looks like they will be made in USA. To be sure will insist on it when ordering at the tyre dealer.

Cheers, Edsel.
Edsel

Post by Edsel »

Successfully had my 5 new US made KO2s fitted. Plan to regularly rotate all 5. Bought an alloy wheel from wreckers for the 5th as my spare is a steel rim.

The old steel spare has a perfectly good Scorpion ATR on it which I could use as an extra spare. Its circumference is about 20mm or 0.7% larger than the KO2. Accordingly would only put on the front short term and have in 2WD. However I think the front diff is still active i.e. the hubs remain engaged and the front drive shaft just disengages from the transfer case. I imagine the small difference in circumference wouldn't impact traction aids or the non-LSD diff. Any thoughts? (Changing tyre pressures won't change the circumference).

Cheers, Edsel.
hutchid
300 Club

Post by hutchid »

Terrific, Edsel, you won't be disappointed, I grabbed a 6th one today for a second spare. I took the opportunity to do a rotate as well. It was the first in 20,000km (mix of city, country, farm, outback touring to Strzelecki Desert, Innamincka, QLD station country) since new and the guy at the tyre shop said: "Why are you rotating near new tyres?". Enough said.
As to your question, agree, 20mm circumference doesn't sound much, if it meant getting me home or stuck in the bush, then I'd take that risk. The brains trust are bound to have more technical opinions though.
happy touring
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Edsel wrote:Successfully had my 5 new US made KO2s fitted. Plan to regularly rotate all 5. Bought an alloy wheel from wreckers for the 5th as my spare is a steel rim.

The old steel spare has a perfectly good Scorpion ATR on it which I could use as an extra spare. Its circumference is about 20mm or 0.7% larger than the KO2. Accordingly would only put on the front short term and have in 2WD. However I think the front diff is still active i.e. the hubs remain engaged and the front drive shaft just disengages from the transfer case. I imagine the small difference in circumference wouldn't impact traction aids or the non-LSD diff. Any thoughts? (Changing tyre pressures won't change the circumference).

Cheers, Edsel.
ranger has a steering wheel position sensor. running a different dia tyre on the front is not advisable as the steering wheel will bias the smaller tyre and turn the steering wheel slightly. this will upset the sensor and send alarms and lights into the cabin. its a mistake i made using a different sized spare and ended up at ford getting a reset. of course in an emergency take any means to get home safely but avoid different sized tyres as best as possible.
Edsel

Post by Edsel »

Thanks for the tip lincolnland. Hopefully will never have to use the extra spare.

Cheers, Edsel.
MarkDRanger
50 Club

Post by MarkDRanger »

lincolnland wrote: ranger has a steering wheel position sensor. running a different dia tyre on the front is not advisable as the steering wheel will bias the smaller tyre and turn the steering wheel slightly. this will upset the sensor and send alarms and lights into the cabin. its a mistake i made using a different sized spare and ended up at ford getting a reset. of course in an emergency take any means to get home safely but avoid different sized tyres as best as possible.
Presumably if you have to use an off-sized spare then rotate with a rear wheel so that the fronts are the same then live with the difference on the rear. The rear diff should take care of any rotational difference. That means two wheel changes instead of one when you do get a front flat, but it'll avoid upsetting the sensors.
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

unfortunately no. i did exactly that after blowing a tyre. ran a smaller dia on the rear and the height diff set off the sensors as you are in affect 'crabbing' along the rd or track.
MarkDRanger
50 Club

Post by MarkDRanger »

lincolnland wrote:unfortunately no. i did exactly that after blowing a tyre. ran a smaller dia on the rear and the height diff set off the sensors as you are in affect 'crabbing' along the rd or track.
Wow. So you're saying that the rear wheel difference affects the front steering sensors? Ok, good to know. I'll bet quite a few people are running around with the original spare and upgraded wheels oblivious to the implications (as I was until just now).
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

yes unfortunately. i learnt the hard way. on a very long trip. was rolling on 32 muds at the time carrying a standard sized spare albeit changed non oem tyre but oem size. had a huge blow out and learnt about the steering wheel sensors after ford had to reset everything to correct the issues.
pic of the issue..
CeeJay
100 Club

Post by CeeJay »

I would guess that with off-sized rears, the traction control will sense the difference in rotation rates across the axle when the steering sensor is reading ‘straight ahead’ and assume one of the wheels is slipping so start to apply the traction control via the ABS system?

In a GQ Patrol you could probably expect the diff to deal with an inch or so different rolling diameters but I reckon it’s a tall order on a modern vehicle running ECS/TC/ABS etc.

I have always carried a spare of the same diameter after fitting larger boots. Can usually find a mostly worn one for free/ beer on gumtree for peanuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 XLT SuperCab, Brisbane based
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

yep i upgraded all the boots to the same rolling diameter and wont have to worry next time i get a flat. cheers
Edsel

Post by Edsel »

I believe the OEM Dunlop A22s had a diameter of 30.6 inches.
The 32s therefore give a ride height 0.7 inch higher (half of 1.4) but more importantly there is a circumference change of a massive 112mm. (2 x pi x 16-15.3 = 4.4 inches)
No wonder you had trouble lincolnland. My 20mm may not trigger faults but it would be great to know what parameters Ford has built in. Might send an email although based on past experience they might be elusive for litigation reasons.

Cheers, Edsel
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Holy shiza! See that there what you worked out i aint capable of. Thats impressive mathes stuff. Whered you learn that stuff? If it had tracks on the ranger i might stand a chance ;)