Fitting a Lightbar into the reverse light wiring

Non Ranger Related Subjects
prj564

Fitting a Lightbar into the reverse light wiring

Post by prj564 »

Hi I have a 2016 XLT Mk 2 and am trying to install a Stedi Micro lightbar to enhance the reverse lights. Im looking for a bit of advise on the following wiring diagram.
Do I need to put in a relay ??? and do I put an inline fuse from the battery feed to the switch or before the light. Splicing the factory reverse wire.
I got the drawing online and it looks ok but will it interfere with the electronics in the car, also its only a small lighbar 3.9amp @ 13.9v
Attachments
reverse light wiring.JPG
naddis01
300 Club

Re: Fitting a Lightbar into the reverse light wiring

Post by naddis01 »

I would use a relay and fuse.
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Doesnt look ok. Its for a pootrol.

U need a fuse at battery end and a relay.
Hoyks
300 Club

Post by Hoyks »

Yes you would want a relay, a dedicated supply from the battery and a fuse close to the battery. Battery to fuse to switch to slave circuit of relay to lights to chassis/ground. The switch I'd just go with an On/Off and they will only come on with Reverse selected

Can you find the earth for the existing lights? If so I'd, cut that and run it through the switching side of the relay and then to earth.

ADR's limit you to the pathetic 2 candle power lights, so9 try not to attract attention to yourself by using it in town. Was in Newcastle years ago and saw a guy try and blind a car behind him at the lights... but it was the cops. Rest of the night didn't go well.
99problems
25 Club

Post by 99problems »

I put two of the stedi led lights in the back of my tray. Wired directly off the existing reverse lights. No problems in 12 months. No relays or fuses.
prj564

Post by prj564 »

Thanks for all the replies. The reason I wanted the single pole double throw switch was so I can use it as an independant camp light and also isolate the reverse light side of it for general reversing during the day and when other vehicles are around as mentioned in another comment about blinding the car behind.
Due South
25 Club

Post by Due South »

99problems wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:27 pm I put two of the stedi led lights in the back of my tray. Wired directly off the existing reverse lights. No problems in 12 months. No relays or fuses.
How'd you tap into the reverse lights? Can you elaborate on that please?
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Connect the wires
SRD0060
100 Club

Post by SRD0060 »

prj564 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:07 pm Hi I have a 2016 XLT Mk 2 and am trying to install a Stedi Micro lightbar to enhance the reverse lights. Im looking for a bit of advise on the following wiring diagram.
Do I need to put in a relay ??? and do I put an inline fuse from the battery feed to the switch or before the light. Splicing the factory reverse wire.
I got the drawing online and it looks ok but will it interfere with the electronics in the car, also its only a small lighbar 3.9amp @ 13.9v
Running power through the switch is not good or not running a fuse or relay.
2019 Wildtrak
Outback Armour shocks
GME
If I wanted to hear from an Asshole i would have farted.
You don’t learn paying someone to do it!