Who believes the gear change indicator?

Non Ranger Related Subjects
MarkDRanger
50 Club

Who believes the gear change indicator?

Post by MarkDRanger »

(For those who haven't driven a manual Ranger, there is an up-arrow indictor in the dash which comes on when it thinks you should shift to a higher gear. There is no indicator suggesting a down-shift.)

My experience is that the indicator comes on way too early. If I shift up when it says so I'm close to lugging the engine in the higher gear. Typically the indicator comes on around 2,000rpm and depending on the current gear the up-shift results in an rpm drop to around 1,500rpm or less.

I don't think the indicator varies depending on engine load so if you're grinding up a hill towing a big load it'll suggest an upshift at the same rpm as when you're coasting down a hill with no load. Clearly that can't be right.

As a consequence I generally ignore the indicator and change when it "feels" right which makes me wonder what they think they are achieving with the indicator in the first place.

Do others find the up-shift indicator comes on too early?
naddis01
300 Club

Re: Who believes the gear change indicator?

Post by naddis01 »

Turn it off with Forscan.
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Its sole purpose is fuel ecomony
Excouncil
300 Club

Post by Excouncil »

Drive the auto and you will often find that at light throttle it changes up too early ,
the ecu will let the engine run in 6th at 1300 revs !
Very much eco oriented .
MarkDRanger
50 Club

Post by MarkDRanger »

Excouncil wrote:Very much eco oriented .
Thanks for the insights Ecouncil. My concern is that a "too extreme" approach to eco is counter-productive as everyone ignores it. For example:
naddis01 wrote:Turn it off with Forscan.
and
lincolnland wrote:Its sole purpose is fuel ecomony
In short, every response has suggested ignoring the "eco feedback".

Does that mean Ford don't care that their eco feedback is dismissed by the cognoscenti or have they got the settings wrong or is it a cynical exercise to placate some regulatory body without ever expecting it to be of any use?

In all cases, we manual Ranger drivers spend all day every day witnessing an irritating Ford anomoly. That can't be good for repeat business.
Hoyks
300 Club

Post by Hoyks »

I ignore it and drive by ear/feel, but for the most part when I change is about when the light comes on anyway. Its pretty flat on the drive to work and the only traffic light is where I turn in the gate, so 100m out of my driveway and I'm only playing with gears 4-6 though.

Most of the time I drive empty, but when there is a load on or heading up hill I think the shift light comes on slightly higher in the rev range... or I'm imagining it.
Hoyks
300 Club

Post by Hoyks »

I had a play with it today.

I could get it to come on at around 1750rpm for the most feeble throttle inputs, from 1850-2250rpm for general driving and if I floored it in 3rd, I passed 3500rpm and changed without the light even blinking.

I came from an asthmatic N/A diesel Ford Courier that needed to be flogged to go anywhere. Switching to this and learning to drive something that had so much torque from nothing, having the shift light to indicate that the motor was happy to change sped up the adaptation to the new car. I learnt it to a mate that has a 3L diesel patrol and he was also surprised how much torque mine had from 1000rpm in comparison.

So, yeah, I still drive it like I drive it and ignore the shift light. It comes on, goes off and if the bulb blows I won't probably notice.
LethalLeigh
200 Club

Post by LethalLeigh »

It does actually have a downshift indicator - you just really need to labour the engine to see it. I used to ignore the indicator but it always gave me the sh*ts so I had Stuart (Saeb) disable it at the last Ranger Meetup after purchasing a bargain at the auction.
MarkDRanger
50 Club

Post by MarkDRanger »

LethalLeigh wrote:It does actually have a downshift indicator - you just really need to labour the engine
Huh! Good to know. Glad I never discovered it accidentally I guess.