Would you buy another ranger/everest?

Non Ranger Related Subjects
Gold member
50 Club

Would you buy another ranger/everest?

Post by Gold member »

So, as ranger / everest owners would you buy another one after owning the one you have?
If not why?
Also if you could change one thing about them what would it be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
naddis01
300 Club

Re: Would you buy another ranger/everest?

Post by naddis01 »

I'm onto my 3rd Ranger since the PX came out. Would buy again. I would change the air con. All three have had poor air conditioning. Some more engine power would be nice as well.
MSP

Post by MSP »

Yep. Love it. Air con is good but no fresh air without fan. Needs a telescopic steering column.
Rosspat
300 Club

Post by Rosspat »

Only if they get a better motor, a bit underpowered
2018 Winning Blue XLT
Gold member
50 Club

Post by Gold member »

Great feedback, i feel there are a few reliability issues that i am sitting on the fence with on if i would buy again. All to common hearing about transmission and motor failures, little failures you would expect but this day and age engines and transmissions should be more reliable.

So yes i am on the fence on if i would buy again. Very interested to hear everyone’s opinions and experiences.

Bill68
300 Club

Post by Bill68 »

I’ve had mine 6 1/2 years and I did a lot of research before buying and I can’t believe they are still having the same problems from 2011
rear main seals , crap bearings in the manuals,converter- automatic trans failures, air con blend actuators, to name a few.
I absolutely love my Ranger and will never have anything to do with a dealership again.
So yes I would buy another Ranger and I hope to later this year second hand Px1 Single cab and I’ll do a heap of upgrades to the engine and auto for reliability.
Believe me I’ve looked at all the others and I’m definitely not a ford man but comparing the others they are a pretty good package.
wdw
300 Club

Post by wdw »

Had my 2012 Px 1 Wildtrak for 6 years and 190000km. It had a hard life and wasnt perfect but Newstead Ford was a pleasure with warranty work . I loved that ute till the last day. I traded it in for a PX 3 3.2 Wildtrak auto a year ago. I would love to have the following added:
Telescopic steering
Sliding rear cabin window
Electric adjustable front passenger seat
V6 TD or V6 Petrol Or V8
4wd high without cd lock ( Mits superselect)
Second lid for arm rest console.
Gold member
50 Club

Post by Gold member »

Bill68 wrote:I’ve had mine 6 1/2 years and I did a lot of research before buying and I can’t believe they are still having the same problems from 2011
rear main seals , crap bearings in the manuals,converter- automatic trans failures, air con blend actuators, to name a few.
I absolutely love my Ranger and will never have anything to do with a dealership again.
So yes I would buy another Ranger and I hope to later this year second hand Px1 Single cab and I’ll do a heap of upgrades to the engine and auto for reliability.
Believe me I’ve looked at all the others and I’m definitely not a ford man but comparing the others they are a pretty good package.
My thoughts exactly on the issues forever present Year to year, they built a great platform but are let down by these issues and their customer service at most dealerships.
Very interested in seeing your next build and your planned upgrades and improvements Bill68 as reliability is what i want from my ranger iver all else.

Gold member
50 Club

Post by Gold member »

wdw wrote:Had my 2012 Px 1 Wildtrak for 6 years and 190000km. It had a hard life and wasnt perfect but Newstead Ford was a pleasure with warranty work . I loved that ute till the last day. I traded it in for a PX 3 3.2 Wildtrak auto a year ago. I would love to have the following added:
Telescopic steering
V6 TD or V6 Petrol Or V8
Sound ls like you have had a reasonably good run with your px1 hey?
Does the px series need a huge make over? Is the px3 the last of the series? Will be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of years

Simon
Site Admin

Post by Simon »

Next door neighbor just got his new PX3 and had a drive of it with OME lift kit and was pretty impressed.

Don't know if I would by another Ranger after our first experience but you never Know but will be looking at the new Dmax when it arrives as well . https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/10-facts-2020-d-max

The new BT 50 will be a rehashed Isuzu for the new model .
teevee
75 Club

Post by teevee »

one thing i would change for sure, is the ridiculous sensitivity the BCM has and the fact that after 5 faults it is toast. especially since it's so bloody expensive.

i've found other manufacturers have the same issues with failing to address known problems year after year. i guess as long as we keep buying models with known problems, they will continue to ignore them.
Cheers
2016 XL 4x4 3.2
Rosspat
300 Club

Post by Rosspat »

teevee wrote:i guess as long as we keep buying models with known problems, they will continue to ignore them.
Exactly, they won't spend money if they don't have to
2018 Winning Blue XLT
Bill68
300 Club

Post by Bill68 »

Gold member wrote:
wdw wrote:Had my 2012 Px 1 Wildtrak for 6 years and 190000km. It had a hard life and wasnt perfect but Newstead Ford was a pleasure with warranty work . I loved that ute till the last day. I traded it in for a PX 3 3.2 Wildtrak auto a year ago. I would love to have the following added:
Telescopic steering
V6 TD or V6 Petrol Or V8
Sound ls like you have had a reasonably good run with your px1 hey?
Does the px series need a huge make over? Is the px3 the last of the series? Will be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of years
I did have minor problems with my Px1 which my warranty repairs by ford dealership soon made into major problems that were rectified eventually as I keep everything in writing and polite conversation.
I’m not interested in anything newer, As I do all my mechanical repairs and then dealing with them I’m done, but that reminds me of another topic I’m going to ask advice on here.

skumancer
50 Club

Post by skumancer »

Without hesitation. The only real problem I’ve had with my Ranger is a crack in the intercooler outlet hose, covered under warranty.

I’m pegado doing for an Everest next.

cdog

Post by cdog »

I'm thinking of updating my px2 did this year tossing up between another ranger or a 79 cruiser the ranger has been good couple of little problems but wouldn't mind a v8 before there all electric
diomac
200 Club

Post by diomac »

Love our PX2 Wildtrak, extremely comfortable and takes us everywhere we want to go. People are always impressed when they drive it or come with us. I'd get another in a heartbeat, but I would continue to look at what the competition has to offer. We've done a lot to make ours suit ourselves but I think that is the go with all utes, maybe the Jeep Rubicon Gladiator will lift the bar more.

The only thing I'd really like them to change is the way they lock out the transmission and power, after doing the Ngauge changes it's a totally different car in terms of how it drives and they should leave the showroom in this state.
cmar
25 Club

Post by cmar »

I've had my new to me Px1 XLT since last April. One of the very last PX1's made, was a really low KM, immaculate, ex Grey Nomad unit. Already came with everything I would have fitted, ARB bar, ARB Summit Canopy, snorkel, and slide / drawer in the back. I looked at all the double cabs and most liked the Ford, but there are a few things I think Ford needs to address.

Despite low KM and obvious gentle previous use, my rear main weeps slightly, as my unit is out of warranty,it can keep weeping. When it becomes an actual leak, I'll take it to a proper mechanic to change.
Really in 2020 this is unacceptable, other manufacturers can make leak free vehicles that stay leak free for 200,000 Km and more. Ford have had years of use with the Puma engine to get this right. We've had a string of Hyundai / Kia vehicles and none of them have leaked one drop, even at 300,000 Km Obviously the seals used are low quality, or poorly fitted, either way points to a QC issue at the Ford plant.

Couldn't spare a bit of black paint for the engine block? For the price we pay I don't think it is a big ask. Yeah I know it might run 0.005 Deg cooler unpainted, bullshit, it's just cost saving.
Speaking of paint, a few more microns of top coat wouldn't go astray, it is sooo easy to chip or scratch.

While I love the usually smooth shifting auto, there are other times it just seems to have a mind of it's own. Throwing the odd minor bump, flare, and rough shift out of the blue. No drain plug, come on. This is a commercial vehicle, not a Mustang. Keep that "sealed for life" BS for passenger cars, and in my opinion it shouldn't even operate there either.

No matching alloy spare? Come on, yes it was easy to find one secondhand cheaply, but for what the original owners would have paid, I shouldn't have to.

Aircon is OK, I've had better, but it is OK. Surprising for an Australian designed vehicle, you could make ice cubes in Falcons. I like the climate control.

Love the engine, powerful, torquey, and reasonably economical for such a big vehicle. Pretty quiet for a light truck engine. Mine has the tick that comes and goes, but doesn't seem to get any worse.

Body seems tight and solid, and a first for me a Ford that doesn't actually leak!

Would I buy another, yes, but I would like to use this one for a while yet.
Gold member
50 Club

Post by Gold member »

cmar wrote:I've had my new to me Px1 XLT since last April. One of the very last PX1's made, was a really low KM, immaculate, ex Grey Nomad unit. Already came with everything I would have fitted, ARB bar, ARB Summit Canopy, snorkel, and slide / drawer in the back. I looked at all the double cabs and most liked the Ford, but there are a few things I think Ford needs to address.

Despite low KM and obvious gentle previous use, my rear main weeps slightly, as my unit is out of warranty,it can keep weeping. When it becomes an actual leak, I'll take it to a proper mechanic to change.
Really in 2020 this is unacceptable, other manufacturers can make leak free vehicles that stay leak free for 200,000 Km and more. Ford have had years of use with the Puma engine to get this right. We've had a string of Hyundai / Kia vehicles and none of them have leaked one drop, even at 300,000 Km Obviously the seals used are low quality, or poorly fitted, either way points to a QC issue at the Ford plant.

Couldn't spare a bit of black paint for the engine block? For the price we pay I don't think it is a big ask. Yeah I know it might run 0.005 Deg cooler unpainted, bullshit, it's just cost saving.
Speaking of paint, a few more microns of top coat wouldn't go astray, it is sooo easy to chip or scratch.

While I love the usually smooth shifting auto, there are other times it just seems to have a mind of it's own. Throwing the odd minor bump, flare, and rough shift out of the blue. No drain plug, come on. This is a commercial vehicle, not a Mustang. Keep that "sealed for life" BS for passenger cars, and in my opinion it shouldn't even operate there either.

No matching alloy spare? Come on, yes it was easy to find one secondhand cheaply, but for what the original owners would have paid, I shouldn't have to.

Aircon is OK, I've had better, but it is OK. Surprising for an Australian designed vehicle, you could make ice cubes in Falcons. I like the climate control.

Love the engine, powerful, torquey, and reasonably economical for such a big vehicle. Pretty quiet for a light truck engine. Mine has the tick that comes and goes, but doesn't seem to get any worse.

Body seems tight and solid, and a first for me a Ford that doesn't actually leak!

Would I buy another, yes, but I would like to use this one for a while yet.
100% agree with what your saying here, all these minor things should not be issues this day and age hey. Like you said the puma engines have been around for a long time now and nothing has changed, same old problems, rear main on mine has started to weep also and it will stay like that until it develops more as it doesn’t yet actually drip.

So yeah im still on the fence if i would buy another one or an Everest for the wife like she currently wants...... maybe i need to go back to basics and get a 60 series or something less technical and more robust ha ha ha

netwrk

Post by netwrk »

My first ranger. Had it for only 6 months. 3.2 xlt. Love it and would do it again.
apsilon
200 Club

Post by apsilon »

Potentially I would. I haven't had any issues other than the servicing dealer not being the best but I've also encountered worse. I've only got a few months left on my lease and will be going a different direction. If Ford had delivered a performance vehicle in the Raptor like they were talking up before it's release I'd be moving to one of those but as it stands the replacement won't have a Ford badge.
Frozen White '17 FX4 Auto
Rosspat
300 Club

Post by Rosspat »

netwrk wrote:My first ranger. Had it for only 6 months. 3.2 xlt. Love it and would do it again.
Six months isn't a long time, give it a year or two with a few more klms on it and see how you go.
2018 Winning Blue XLT
Trublu

Post by Trublu »

Seven years with my current XLT and I will be interested in the next model for sure before I retire, I still think the ranger looks the best than what the competition offers. :D
cmar
25 Club

Post by cmar »

For a bit of fun I decided to join a US forum specifically for the new (to them) Ranger. Actually they seem to be a pretty decent bunch and welcomed an Aussie into their ranks especially as I could give them a longer term view of how their vehicles may fare as they've only had them since the end of last year.

They have a topic exclusively related to warranty / quality issues, and very interesting reading it makes too.
Their model is slightly different to ours - Ford makes a big deal about how the Aussie designed Ranger was completely re-done for the US market but apart from the engine of course, and some minor trim and panel changes it looks very similar to me. Interestingly theirs have an aluminum bonnet and tailgate, and the front knuckle is cast alloy not steel like ours, but is the same design.

In general the US assembled vehicles seem to have more QC issues than our Thai built ones, however many, many of the issues raised look awfully familiar, it's like many of our niggling faults are not limited to Aus model cars but indicative of Ford QA world wide.

For example they STILL haven't fixed the blend door controller issue, and paint, panel and fit alignment issues are common. Some of the paint and panel alignment issues were way worse than any reported on this forum.
Interesting their trucks lean to the left also! Ford dealers in the US put an extra leaf on the LHS spring pack if a customer complains! Quite a few have reported cold start shift issues with the 10 speed auto.

Something to think about when we all wish what Ford might fix in their next model, and would we buy it?
The Ugly Dog

Post by The Ugly Dog »

I have a 2014 Wildtrak. I bought it mostly because I loved my 97 F150 back in the US. When I sold it it had over 600,000 miles on it, it ran perfect, still with the original engine, trans and differentials front and rear and very limited problems throughout it's life. 3 sets of control arm bushings and ball joints(till I replaced the bushings with urethane and greasable ball joints), 3 serp belts, 1 alternator and 1 radiator in 20 years.
The negatives; service, the service here in The Philippines is ridiculous. I needed a serp belt, Ford said 30-60 days to get one! They also didn't change the filter with the oil but charged for it. The canbus system is absolutely nuts till you figure it out! The trans dipstick hidden on the pan behind the exhaust, stupid. The backup camera screen is now white.
The positives; 60,000 km, it runs good, plenty of power, relatively easy to work on, comfortable seats and controls, mine has very good fit and finish on the body and interior, good unobstructed view in all directions. Once I put LED bulbs in the headlights those are fine. Compared to the others it's really the comfort of the interior that brings me back again. My wife bought a Toyota Farttuna, (Fortuna) I hate it. If you think the headlights on the Rangers are bad, try a drive in one of those! Even with the fog lights on you can't see anything. High beam? A Joke! I changed out the bulbs to 20,000k lumin leds and it's still not as good as the Ranger. The Ranger and Everest both beat the Fart in legroom, access through the doors, headroom, seat comfort, ease of use of the controls, viability outside and space.
Back in the US we had the F150 and a Chevy K1500 for our personal use plus 4 Rangers, 1 Dodge Dakota, 2 F250s and 1 Mazda (Ranger) for our business. The Dakota had constant alternator problems and trans problems at about 250,000 miles, the Mazda had engine and transmission problems at about 200,000 miles (cannibalized for parts) the 4 rangers all had between 250,000 miles and 500,000 miles on them and were sold still running good, the only problems were alternators, starters and 1 blown head gasket. The F250s ball joints and contol arm bushings twice and 1 alternator and a broken rear spring, both had about 300,000 miles when sold. The K1500 is a constant source of problems, it has 200,000 miles on it and has had 5 starters ( i finally put a race car starter in it) 8 alternators, constant problems with the distributor cap, constant spark plug problems, constant a/c problems, constant problems with the battery connections, constant electrical problems and interior trim constantly falling apart. It is my last GM vehicle EVER!
My Fords have outperformed ever other vehicle I've tried. My next light truck will be a Ranger Raptor! NO QUESTION!
crano

Post by crano »

Got a late 2015 PX2 with 65000km. Buying it was the biggest mistake of my life. Had the usual rear main seal and air-con servo problems and a list of electronic problems that would take all day to list. My favorite was when I started it up and there was relays clicking and dash lights flashing. I turned the key off and the engine kept running so I pulled the key out and it kept running.It only stopped when I opened the door. At the dealer it showed 13 faults but as usual they did not have a clue. With all the electronic dramas they have no interest and just fob you off. A good example of fords attitude was when it was about 2 months old it started cutting out and would restart about 5 to 10 minutes later. Eventually they decided it was the crank position sensor but would not replace it until it died completely. I had to buy a new one for $440 to fix the problem. Most of the electronic dramas just come and go as they please.The only electronic problem that they have actually fixed was the gearbox giving a loud bang when downshifting under light load. this was fixed with a software upgrade.It would have been gone a long time ago if it did not cost so much to change.
wdw
300 Club

Post by wdw »

Sorry to hear about your nightmare It sounds like you bought a second hand car that was a lemon or had a dunking in sea water with all those electric issues.
My second Wildtrak in 8 years now. After 16 months I have not had a single issue with my PX3 WT. My son just sold his 3 year old BT 50
and picked up his Wildtrak Biturbo up 3 days ago. The Rangers are brilliant vehicles . I would not buy any second hand 4x4 ever as we see daily how they are abused on the beach and offroad . I may consider this biturbo in 2025 but likely will get that V6 TD or Ecoboost petrol ....in the Ranger.
crano

Post by crano »

Brand new. No beach work. Nice to hear of somebody having a good run with theirs.
rustfree
25 Club

Post by rustfree »

Gold member wrote:So, as ranger / everest owners would you buy another one after owning the one you have?
If not why?
Also if you could change one thing about them what would it be?

Right now probably not (or the BT50 I drive) but only because of the increased complexity in emission control.
I have the last one without DPF and I constantly use less fuel than a friend of a newer one.
Plus I have the experience from other brands(own hand and frineds) that the DPF problems are not a matter of if just when.

Obviously that will give me headache when I have eventually to replace the vehicle due to wear and tear not making it economical to keep anymore, but hopefully that will take a few years ;-)
The Ugly Dog

Post by The Ugly Dog »

For those of you having rear main seal problems. If it only leaks a little, ( a puddle less than about 4 cm across overnight) put a few drops of brake fluid into the engine oil, not a lot just a little bit a bit less than what would fill the brake fluid container's lid. If it doesn't work the first time do it again 10 days later. Too much will swell all your seals but just a little works wonders. Don't try it on automatic transmissions, only engines, manual trans and non locking diffs.
Also, if you're having electrical problems on the inside, check inside the kick panel for the ground screw, it's on the left side in my left drive version so I don't know which side it's on for the right drive version. There's a ground screw with wires attached to it for the dash and interior stuff. Mine is a green screw, same thing on every Ford I've worked on. Loosen it, clean the mount, the screw, the wire terminals and reinstall it snug, not over tight. That should fix the electrical problems.
jonnybravo33
50 Club

Post by jonnybravo33 »

Yes but never the 2l, or any diesel these days for that matter. With all the restrictions placed on them now it almost defeats the purpose! Love the ranger platform and my pre dpf 3.2 to bits but wouldnt mind the coyote or ecoboost 3.5 petrol next!