Regretful/ useless accessories or modifications

Non Ranger Related Subjects
Gold member
50 Club

Post by Gold member »

Hi all

Ok so whats your most regrettable or later found useless Modifications/ accessories you have done added to wither your current or past vehicle?

Have you ever thought you so badly needed this or that only to find you never used it? Or it has caused you issues when you have used it? Or its been that poorly made/ fabricated that it was basically junk?
Im sure theres some interesting ones out there, if so share it here for us all to learn or get ideas from.

My useless mods would be the 240v inverter in my last car, used it once in 5 years to change the wifes camera battery. Then there was the muffler delete pipe, it was junk and made the ranger sound like a owl ha ha , it has since been modified again making the purchase a waste as i could have got it made cheaper the way it is now from the exhaust shop up the road!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill68
300 Club

Re: Regretful/ useless accessories or modifications

Post by Bill68 »

I would think most Rangers I see should be nominating mud tyres 99% road use 1% dirt road
butch.
300 Club

Post by butch. »

Fitting a canopy over the standard tub was a mistake. It is all serviceable and functions as intended . I should have dumped the tub and built tray /canopy back in 2013. My next ute will get a "butch built" tray and canopy.
See a lot of mud tires that only have tar stuck on them :? .... :lol: :lol:
cheers, Butch.
Gold member
50 Club

Post by Gold member »

Bill68 wrote:I would think most Rangers I see should be nominating mud tyres 99% road use 1% dirt road
Yes this is true, a lot of these would be on 20” rims also

Gold member
50 Club

Post by Gold member »

butch. wrote:Fitting a canopy over the standard tub was a mistake. It is all serviceable and functions as intended . I should have dumped the tub and built tray /canopy back in 2013. My next ute will get a "butch built" tray and canopy.
cheers, Butch.
Yeah the tub and canopy set up makes things restricting and the fibreglass canopy’s are not cheap, when compared to what you get with the tray back ones for around the same prices.
Whens this new ute planned for butch?

Bill68
300 Club

Post by Bill68 »

butch. wrote:Fitting a canopy over the standard tub was a mistake. It is all serviceable and functions as intended . I should have dumped the tub and built tray /canopy back in 2013. My next ute will get a "butch built" tray and canopy.
cheers, Butch.
Yes 100% agree on the tub and canopy
butch.
300 Club

Post by butch. »

Gday Gold M, I gotta try and wear to 2013 ute out a bit more then see what engine options come along in about 12 months. If the new utes are gonna get a V6 I'm going the 4pot or swap to an inline 6 ute. cheers, Butch.
allover
100 Club

Post by allover »

My useless accessory, a wheel carrier that plugs into the tow bar, lot of time and labour, ended up putting a rack on top and that is where the 6th wheel now sits, any one want a wheel carrier;)
cmar
25 Club

Post by cmar »

butch. wrote:Gday Gold M, I gotta try and wear to 2013 ute out a bit more then see what engine options come along in about 12 months. If the new utes are gonna get a V6 I'm going the 4pot or swap to an inline 6 ute. cheers, Butch.

New one might have a VDub V6 diesel in it.
Gold member
50 Club

Post by Gold member »

allover wrote:My useless accessory, a wheel carrier that plugs into the tow bar, lot of time and labour, ended up putting a rack on top and that is where the 6th wheel now sits, any one want a wheel carrier;)
Ha ha thats gold!

So on engine reliability, watching a video online from a popular youtuber family currently traveling Oz in a new model bt50 with a can in tow, coolant hose on the back of the engine block let go resulting in a cooked motor at around 100k on the Odo.

Could this be one of the primary causes of the failed motors ?

so anyone out there experienced this themselves?

I cracked my radiator in my 75series cruiser and lost a lot of coolant unknown to me until i got to camp and found a puddle the next day, this was from corrugations as the tank split away from the core at the joint. i then replaced the plastic radiator with a custom old school brass jobby and installed a low coolant alarm incase of next time for piece of mind, there never was a next time though.

Anyone running running a low coolant alarm on the rangers?

Highrider
100 Club

Post by Highrider »

Bill68 wrote:I would think most Rangers I see should be nominating mud tyres 99% road use 1% dirt road
I certainly would agree with that, mud tires are bloody noisy, expensive and increase fuel consumption but wow they are so macho (not), I benefit from that because I buy the standard wheels and tires from the macho guys, I got a set alloys with about 80% rubber for $200.- recently and I am laughing all the way to the bank :D :D :D :D
OldmanTom

Post by OldmanTom »

cheers, Butch.
Agree 100%.
We bought a new MY17 XLT Supercab and ditched the tub. Replaced it with an alloy tipper tray and a jackoff canopy.
Best of both worlds, tray to collect dirt for the garden or feed for the horses and a canopy full of camping gear.

Will do the same when we trade for new Ranger.
Due South
25 Club

Post by Due South »

Gold member wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:50 am
allover wrote:My useless accessory, a wheel carrier that plugs into the tow bar, lot of time and labour, ended up putting a rack on top and that is where the 6th wheel now sits, any one want a wheel carrier;)
Ha ha thats gold!

So on engine reliability, watching a video online from a popular youtuber family currently traveling Oz in a new model bt50 with a can in tow, coolant hose on the back of the engine block let go resulting in a cooked motor at around 100k on the Odo.

Could this be one of the primary causes of the failed motors ?

so anyone out there experienced this themselves?

I cracked my radiator in my 75series cruiser and lost a lot of coolant unknown to me until i got to camp and found a puddle the next day, this was from corrugations as the tank split away from the core at the joint. i then replaced the plastic radiator with a custom old school brass jobby and installed a low coolant alarm incase of next time for piece of mind, there never was a next time though.

Anyone running running a low coolant alarm on the rangers?

Trip In A Van.

The upgrade to the extended 200 series with boat loader is definitely as good as it gets as far as upgrades go.