Massive engine oil leak

Non Ranger Related Subjects
Loanarranger

Massive engine oil leak

Post by Loanarranger »

2012px 110000 klms
Multiple oil leaks from engine.
It appears that the crankcase has pressurised and forced oil from every seal around the front of the engine.
Also a loss in power.
I cannot identify exactly what is going on due to a very recent cataract surgery(today)
Has anyone a clue to this ?
Is there a pressure valve fitted to this engine.
There is not any indication on the dash warning lights of a problem.
Thank you for you help
Simon
Site Admin

Re: Massive engine oil leak

Post by Simon »

Might have faulty/blocked PCV valve which then pressurizes the crankcase :(
Torque666
100 Club

Post by Torque666 »

Simon wrote:Might have faulty/blocked PCV valve which then pressurizes the crankcase :(
^^^I agree with this .Also if you have a catchcan fitted the filter maybe blocked or its full of oil ,<<< if it is this depending on brand of catchcan the relief valves may also be faulty.
Loanarranger

Post by Loanarranger »

It appears to be a cracked piston!
Not impressed as it’s only done just over 100000 klms
Not sure what my options are.
A new long engine is about $7.500.
I believe the Conrod is not removable to change a piston.
cmar
25 Club

Post by cmar »

Not true the conrods are removable. But they are not supposed to be re-used. The problem is just buying one piston. Also I would get the injectors checked, odds on the cracked piston was caused by a faulty / sticky injector.
Rebuild kits are available
Example https://umrengines.com.au/page/2/?make= ... vpf-search
Trublu

Post by Trublu »

cmar wrote:Not true the conrods are removable. But they are not supposed to be re-used. The problem is just buying one piston. Also I would get the injectors checked, odds on the cracked piston was caused by a faulty / sticky injector.
Rebuild kits are available
Example https://umrengines.com.au/page/2/?make= ... vpf-search
If I was to be pulling an engine down to replace one piston I'd be replacing the lot, you do a proper rebuild not a patch job.
Definitely rebuild kit would be the go.
cmar
25 Club

Post by cmar »

Yes agreed, if one piston was in that shape, how were the others? If you are going to pull the engine might as well do the lot.

Unfortunately this issue is not specifically a Ford one, more of a common rail one, take a quick trip over to the Prado Point forums and read the tale of woe that is the Toyota 3 litre D4D engine for some owners. Almost exactly the same symptoms and signs as described here, and the same cause, faulty injectors over fueling, and destroying pistons. And interestingly at about the same mileage. Looks like 100,000 Km might be the point where CRD injectors become a bit of a gamble. Some people will have no problems and others... To quote from a famous movie, "are you feeling lucky".

Maybe Ford should consider fitting the 2.3 Ecoboost petrol they fit in the US Ranger, we already have that engine here in the Mustang anyway, and it seems to be strong performing reliable engine with most of the advantages of a diesel in a petrol engine.
ajs

Post by ajs »

yes I had this on my 2012. its the front cover in front of the belt. just tighten the bolts and the leak is fixed.