300 Club

Re: Towing With 2.0 Ranger

Post by lincolnland »

What does the owners manual say?
PLWildtrak
25 Club

Post by PLWildtrak »

Checked my owners manual when I first got the Ranger and I was surprised to see that it says nothing in relation to the transmission about towing.

I tow a 3T caravan and tow in Sports mode as that seemed most suitable.......sharpens up the throttle, holds lower gears for longer, doesn't immediately try to get up to the highest gear possible as soon as you let off the throttle, etc. I generally then leave it to do it's thing other than on long steep descents. I down shift with the little button for longer steeper downhill sections to try and get some engine breaking, though there is almost none regardless with a little 2.0l motor and the better part of 6T trying to push it down a hill.

I did also notice that the transmission got quite hot (as you'd expect) on a long (10km) windy uphill stretch on our way home after Xmas. The cooling system generally seems good, but the repeated changing between 2-3-4-3-2-3-4 etc as we went from corner to straight to corner with the van on the back got the trans temps up to about 108 degrees on the Scanguage. I wasn't hammering it, or trying to hit the speed limit even, but the temps still go up quickly. I wasn't too concerned about the temp as such but I also noticed once it got to 106 degrees the gear changes got much slower and harsher so I guess keeping under 106 degrees is probably advisable. Think next time I'm on a similar road I'll just leave it in 2nd and plod my way up and see how much of a difference that makes.

Interested to hear other peoples thoughts as well.
MY20.75 2.0l Bi-turbo Wildtrak X
sfgill3@bigpond.com

Post by sfgill3@bigpond.com »

Thanks for taking the time for your reply,,,, wasn't quite sure,,, as the same didn't get too much clarification from the manual at all,,, do love the 2.0lt Bi-turbo
PLWildtrak
25 Club

Post by PLWildtrak »

I think the 2.0l and 10 speed are a good combo. Solo driving is great. Has plenty of get up and go when you want it, but drives really smoothly when you don't. Even towing the 3T van the drivability is good. The only area I find it lacking a little is initial take off, but once it's up a running the 10 speed does a good job of keeping the engine in it's main torque band.
MY20.75 2.0l Bi-turbo Wildtrak X