Towing with adaptive cruise control

Non Ranger Related Subjects
corndog
50 Club

Towing with adaptive cruise control

Post by corndog »

Who out there tows with adaptive cruise control on or off and how is it towing. The book does say not to use adaptive cruise control but it is said that with some brake controllers it is OK.
SRD0060

Re: Towing with adaptive cruise control

Post by SRD0060 »

I will let you know I’m picking up our camper Friday from Newcastle so i well cruse back to canberra.
Bala
25 Club

Post by Bala »

I just did another 3k km with ACC on.

One thing to be aware of is ensuring that the trailer brakes come on when ACC brakes. It can be dependant on controller type and install.

I feel where caution is needed with ACC is that it can brake and accelerate dramatically. I find if ACC does start to brake I touch the brake pedal and turn it of anyway. Acceleration is not such an issue but I still watch it closely.
PLWildtrak
25 Club

Post by PLWildtrak »

Aside from the question over whether the van brakes operate when cruise control slows down, the bigger issue is control.

For me, towing with cruise control would only be advisable with a very light box trailer.

With a bigger or heavier trailer I wouldn't use it. I want to know that when I lift my foot off the accelerator that there is no power being added, so in an emergency I know that even before I get to the point of using the brakes, the car & trailer are already slowing down. Any additional speed is essentially putting additional energy into a potential crash. You want to reduce the amount of energy in a crash, not increase it. Also, if your trailer has ESC fitted then cruise control could possibly work against the ESC. The ESC will brake the vans wheels, therefore slowing the whole rig down. The cruise control will detect the additional drag caused by the van braking and then try to add power to compensate to maintain speed. I have heard of similar situations where cruise control has masked the fact that there has been a blow out on one tyre on a twin axle van. It just detected the extra drag and added power to compensate. Cruise control really shouldn't be used when towing, but that is just my opinion.
MY20.75 2.0l Bi-turbo Wildtrak X
GerryP
300 Club

Post by GerryP »

One could always turn the adaptive bit off and just use normal cruise. No emergency braking then I would assume. You can turn it off in the right side control screen.
Gerry
MY17 PX2 XLT Supercab
Restoring... '65 XP Falcon Futura Hardtop
butch.
300 Club

Post by butch. »

PLWildtrak wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:40 am Aside from the question over whether the van brakes operate when cruise control slows down, the bigger issue is control.

For me, towing with cruise control would only be advisable with a very light box trailer.

With a bigger or heavier trailer I wouldn't use it. I want to know that when I lift my foot off the accelerator that there is no power being added, so in an emergency I know that even before I get to the point of using the brakes, the car & trailer are already slowing down. Any additional speed is essentially putting additional energy into a potential crash. You want to reduce the amount of energy in a crash, not increase it. Also, if your trailer has ESC fitted then cruise control could possibly work against the ESC. The ESC will brake the vans wheels, therefore slowing the whole rig down. The cruise control will detect the additional drag caused by the van braking and then try to add power to compensate to maintain speed. I have heard of similar situations where cruise control has masked the fact that there has been a blow out on one tyre on a twin axle van. It just detected the extra drag and added power to compensate. Cruise control really shouldn't be used when towing, but that is just my opinion.
I use cruise control all the time, trailer, no trailer, loaded, empty foot to brake pedal and all brakes work, cruise turns off instantly. cheers, Butch.
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Gold butch. Gold! You dont have adaptive cruise! Or are you rolling in a raptor these days? 😉
butch.
300 Club

Post by butch. »

lincolnland wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:39 pm Gold butch. Gold! You dont have adaptive cruise! Or are you rolling in a raptor these days? 😉
True. and sadly no Raptor for me.