Towing with adaptive cruise control

Non Ranger Related Subjects
corndog
75 Club

Towing with adaptive cruise control

Post by corndog »

Who out there tows with adaptive cruise control on or off and how is it towing. The book does say not to use adaptive cruise control but it is said that with some brake controllers it is OK.
SRD0060
75 Club

Re: Towing with adaptive cruise control

Post by SRD0060 »

I will let you know I’m picking up our camper Friday from Newcastle so i well cruse back to canberra.
2019 Wildtrak
Outback Armour shocks
GME
If I wanted to hear from an Asshole i would have farted.
You don’t learn paying someone to do it!
Bala
50 Club

Post by Bala »

I just did another 3k km with ACC on.

One thing to be aware of is ensuring that the trailer brakes come on when ACC brakes. It can be dependant on controller type and install.

I feel where caution is needed with ACC is that it can brake and accelerate dramatically. I find if ACC does start to brake I touch the brake pedal and turn it of anyway. Acceleration is not such an issue but I still watch it closely.
PLWildtrak
50 Club

Post by PLWildtrak »

Aside from the question over whether the van brakes operate when cruise control slows down, the bigger issue is control.

For me, towing with cruise control would only be advisable with a very light box trailer.

With a bigger or heavier trailer I wouldn't use it. I want to know that when I lift my foot off the accelerator that there is no power being added, so in an emergency I know that even before I get to the point of using the brakes, the car & trailer are already slowing down. Any additional speed is essentially putting additional energy into a potential crash. You want to reduce the amount of energy in a crash, not increase it. Also, if your trailer has ESC fitted then cruise control could possibly work against the ESC. The ESC will brake the vans wheels, therefore slowing the whole rig down. The cruise control will detect the additional drag caused by the van braking and then try to add power to compensate to maintain speed. I have heard of similar situations where cruise control has masked the fact that there has been a blow out on one tyre on a twin axle van. It just detected the extra drag and added power to compensate. Cruise control really shouldn't be used when towing, but that is just my opinion.
MY20.75 2.0l Bi-turbo Wildtrak X
GerryP
300 Club

Post by GerryP »

One could always turn the adaptive bit off and just use normal cruise. No emergency braking then I would assume. You can turn it off in the right side control screen.
Gerry
MY17 PX2 XLT Supercab
Restoring... '65 XP Falcon Futura Hardtop
butch.
300 Club

Post by butch. »

PLWildtrak wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:40 am Aside from the question over whether the van brakes operate when cruise control slows down, the bigger issue is control.

For me, towing with cruise control would only be advisable with a very light box trailer.

With a bigger or heavier trailer I wouldn't use it. I want to know that when I lift my foot off the accelerator that there is no power being added, so in an emergency I know that even before I get to the point of using the brakes, the car & trailer are already slowing down. Any additional speed is essentially putting additional energy into a potential crash. You want to reduce the amount of energy in a crash, not increase it. Also, if your trailer has ESC fitted then cruise control could possibly work against the ESC. The ESC will brake the vans wheels, therefore slowing the whole rig down. The cruise control will detect the additional drag caused by the van braking and then try to add power to compensate to maintain speed. I have heard of similar situations where cruise control has masked the fact that there has been a blow out on one tyre on a twin axle van. It just detected the extra drag and added power to compensate. Cruise control really shouldn't be used when towing, but that is just my opinion.
I use cruise control all the time, trailer, no trailer, loaded, empty foot to brake pedal and all brakes work, cruise turns off instantly. cheers, Butch.
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Gold butch. Gold! You dont have adaptive cruise! Or are you rolling in a raptor these days? 😉
butch.
300 Club

Post by butch. »

lincolnland wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:39 pm Gold butch. Gold! You dont have adaptive cruise! Or are you rolling in a raptor these days? 😉
True. and sadly no Raptor for me.
Striff
100 Club

Post by Striff »

I use adaptive cruise control all the time.
Use it when towing my camper trailer.
No problems at all.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

renderer

Post by renderer »

I use ACC all the time, towing box trailer, caravan, empty cab or loaded with a ton of s***. Always on.
When its loaded with weight I just allow the distance indicator to max out and this allows the ACC to sense problems further ahead so no jamming on the brakes.
I do the Logan motorway at 1/2 5 in the morning and boy... is that stupid!!!
CC Steve
50 Club

Post by CC Steve »

I had occasionally used Adaptive Cruise when towing but did have a bad experience one time. I was overtaking a truck on a gentle uphill right hand sweeping curve on the motorway. As I was pulling in front of the truck into the left lane, a vehicle up ahead was slowing as it entered an emergency phone bay. The Ranger detected this as a risk of collision and washed 20 kph off the speed in moments before deciding all was OK after all.

The horn from behind told me what the truck driver thought. I probably ended up on a dashcam site as a "stupid caravanner overtakes then brakes".

While that was a one-off incident in over 20,000km of towing, I prefer to use the speed limiter. Sometimes it is too easy to let the speed creep up, and that becomes a risk .... for accident or fine.
Brente1982
300 Club

Post by Brente1982 »

Yep, I'm of the opinion that YOU should be in control of the vehicle at all times whilst towing, not some electrical laziness device. Don't get me wrong, I think ACC is bloody awesome. But just not for towing. As above, I do use the Limiter a lot when towing.
PX2 My17 XLT Dual Cab - Aluminium Silver
Fitted with a host of accessories that have made my Ranger one heavy a$$ b1atch
butch.
300 Club

Post by butch. »

Brente1982 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:09 pm Yep, I'm of the opinion that YOU should be in control of the vehicle at all times whilst towing.
Just a quick question , Where would YOU be if not in control of the vehicle? :? :lol:
cheers ,Butch.
and I'll see myself out ;)
PLWildtrak
50 Club

Post by PLWildtrak »

Brente1982 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:09 pm Yep, I'm of the opinion that YOU should be in control of the vehicle at all times whilst towing, not some electrical laziness device. Don't get me wrong, I think ACC is bloody awesome. But just not for towing. As above, I do use the Limiter a lot when towing.
X2.

I'm sure using it for towing will be fine.......right up to the point where it's not. Some may never reach that point, but I'd rather not take the chance.

Using ACC (or normal CC) you lose an element of control and an element of feedback from the vehicle, both of which could be crucial when things start to go sideways (figuratively & literally).
MY20.75 2.0l Bi-turbo Wildtrak X
Rosspat
300 Club

Post by Rosspat »

I have always towed with Adaptive cruise, not an issue
If in normal cruise mode you touch the brake to disengage it
Do the same thing with Adaptive
2018 Winning Blue XLT
l0n3r4ng3r
100 Club

Post by l0n3r4ng3r »

I use adaptive cruise control when towing. Over the years, they have it worked out very well. You can always override it with the accelerator (or brakes). It brakes itself after override accel. to get back to set speed. This also makes long downhill runs easy.