How does the PX2/3 terminology relate to the XL/XLT and Sports?

Non Ranger Related Subjects
l0n3r4ng3r
100 Club

How does the PX2/3 terminology relate to the XL/XLT and Sports?

Post by l0n3r4ng3r »

Mine was specified as a 2021 Ford Ranger PX MkIII (3.2l 6 speed), so I assume that's what you all refer to as a PX3, right? They also descibed it as a XLT White 6 Speed Sports Automatic Double Cab Pick Up. I think I know what the XL/XLS/XLT differences are, but what does the Sports terminology mean. Is that the features like the polished metal bars in the back, and the side steps - or maybe the hi-rider suspension?

No biggie, I like what I have, just wondering...
lincolnland
300 Club

Re: How does the PX2/3 terminology relate to the XL/XLT and Sports?

Post by lincolnland »

Black bits and a sports bar. That's it
l0n3r4ng3r
100 Club

Post by l0n3r4ng3r »

lincolnland wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:25 pm Black bits and a sports bar. That's it
I take it you are answering the last part of the question - the "sports" bit? Yep, that makes sense, thanks.
danp3185

Post by danp3185 »

lincolnland wrote:Black bits and a sports bar. That's it
It is more than that, comes with the GPS, voicesync, push button start, blackened headlights, black rear bar…. It has a fair bit extra than the XLS, about 6k worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Standard xls has push button start, gps voice control etc etc etc.
danp3185

Post by danp3185 »

lincolnland wrote:Standard xls has push button start, gps voice control etc etc etc.
I’m certainly not an expert and I am only basing this off the brochures provided by Ford, but the standard XLS doesn’t come with those things, they are part of a pack (marked P in the brochure), which is the sports pack.

lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Incorrect
danp3185

Post by danp3185 »

Oh ok rightio, can I ask where you got that information from because I based my purchase of the sport on those brochures

lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

I own a fleet
l0n3r4ng3r
100 Club

Post by l0n3r4ng3r »

I don't know who is right, but I will say they make it confusing, and it seems to change very often.

So, the unanswered part of my question... what does the PX Mark III or PX2/3 terminology mean?
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Mark 3 is px3 variant from 19.75 to 20.25 to 21.25
Px2 is px2 pre and post dpf
Px1 is px1 no dpf
Fondles
300 Club

Post by Fondles »

Out here they leave all the old filters/oil bottles/packaging in the back of the ute.

s**** me no end and they act all surprised when I tell to remove their garbage from my vehicle.
My rides;
2020 Ranger XL+ Hi-Rider.
2014 D40 Navara.
2017 Honda Click 125i (Scooter).
2018 Yamaha XSR 900.
Ford4wheeler
75 Club

Post by Ford4wheeler »

I now have a PX3 XLS Sport. You could describe it as a cross between an XLS with premium pack option and an XLT.

When I purchased the 2021.25 MY Sport in Jan 2021 it had the Satellite navigation, DAB radio, voice control, dual zone climate control, smart keyless entry, push button start, black door handles, black rear bumper, black sports bar, black side steps and tub liner. The interior plastics are black. It also has XLT black 17 inch alloy wheels.

At the time the standard XLS did not have these items unless you purchased the options pack. And even then you did not have the side steps (no great loss) and you did not get the sports bar nor tub liner. Looking at the Ford brochure for 2021.75, this still seems to be the case.

The Sport also has the high level brake light in the sports bar and not mounted in the roof, similar to an XLT.

I decided that for the price I purchased the Sport, which was cheaper than an XLS with option pack, I did not need and XLT.

Some other changes between the PX2 and PX3 was front suspension changes, grill change and relocation of the aerial from front of roof to rear. The latter is a pain because it interferes with roof rack mounting.

I hope this helps.
2021 Aluminium Silver XLS Sport Auto
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Confirms what i said. Your paying for black bits. If that floats thy vessel then how wonderful
l0n3r4ng3r
100 Club

Post by l0n3r4ng3r »

Nothiing is certain anymore. My XLT sports does not have black door handles nor black sports bar - they are all chrome. It does have black side steps. The black alloys are 18" not 17".
Fondles
300 Club

Post by Fondles »

l0n3r4ng3r wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:06 pm Nothiing is certain anymore. My XLT sports does not have black door handles nor black sports bar - they are all chrome. It does have black side steps. The black alloys are 18" not 17".
XLT Sport.. What do you get additional over a standard XLT ?
My rides;
2014 D40 Navara.
2018 Yamaha XSR 900.
l0n3r4ng3r
100 Club

Post by l0n3r4ng3r »

Fondles wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:00 pm
l0n3r4ng3r wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:06 pm Nothiing is certain anymore. My XLT sports does not have black door handles nor black sports bar - they are all chrome. It does have black side steps. The black alloys are 18" not 17".
XLT Sport.. What do you get additional over a standard XLT ?
That's the thing - I don't know, hence I started this thread. ;)

The reason I don't know, is that I didn't want any delays, so I bought a car that was in stock at a local dealership. I didn't spend any time choosing from brochures. It just happened to have most of the the stuff I wanted. They called it an PX Mark III XLT Sports, and it had a "tech pack" added (which I believe is the adaptice cruise control and parallel park assist) and 18" black alloys. All in all, a nice package - I just added a brake controller for towing and soft tonneau.
Ford4wheeler
75 Club

Post by Ford4wheeler »

I am not aware of a factory XLT Sport variant, only the XLS Sport. Maybe the dealer added their own "description". The auto transmission is sometimes described as "sport auto" because you can manually select the gears, but many auto vehicles have the auto described this way.

I generally go for poverty pack specifications but given the price the dealer offered, I chose the XLS Sport over the standard XLS. I have also ordered a new Transit from the same dealer as once again, they offered a price which other dealers could not match.

Overall the added items on the XLS Sport make it a better package over a standard XLS if you price up the cost of the added items. That really depends on what your needs/wants are. I must admit, I thought the climate control was a bit of a gimmick as my previous XLS had basic heating and cooling. I am actually warming to the climate control though.

In my case, the black sports bar has been removed (canopy fitted), the steps will go and the black XLT alloys have done 20 kilometres and are likely to be sold as I have fitted my previous Ranger XLT wheels and tyres which were near new.
2021 Aluminium Silver XLS Sport Auto
l0n3r4ng3r
100 Club

Post by l0n3r4ng3r »

Ford4wheeler wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:43 pm I am not aware of a factory XLT Sport variant, only the XLS Sport. Maybe the dealer added their own "description".
Perhaps - a likely possibility !
Fondles
300 Club

Post by Fondles »

Ford4wheeler wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:43 pm I am not aware of a factory XLT Sport variant, only the XLS Sport. Maybe the dealer added their own "description".
My guess is it is a dealer thing, fitting all the options to an XLT and calling it a sports.

when I purchased my XL+ there was a sports option which gave a bit more fruit... vehicles only available in red or white though.

I asked if they could special order an XL+ sports in black but no dice... annoyed me as I mentioned I know the guys out at the assembly plant and I can make it happen if they can order it....

My 1st Ranger (PX1 XLT) I walked it down the line from the paintmline through the chassis line and then down the final assembly line and took delivery as it rolled out of the final inspection bay.
My rides;
2014 D40 Navara.
2018 Yamaha XSR 900.
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Dealers aquire a bucketload of free parts from customers who spec changes in tyres, rims, remove sports bars, add sports bars, remove oem side steps and add aftermarket steps and rails. Etc etc etc blah blah. The dealers add these freebies to any model they choose, add a premium price and profit from the swap out. Its so common... ive been into various dealers stockpiles and been offered free bits so as to limit their disposal costs. The current dealer i use has a massive stockpile of every sports bar u can imagine as they fit so many canopies in house. Free tyres, tubs and rims are there if you are aware of the stock dealers hide away and refit to an unsuspecting new client.