Newbie questions

Non Ranger Related Subjects
newbieranger8
25 Club

Newbie questions

Post by newbieranger8 »

Hi guys,

Just booked my first Ute it's a ford ranger Wildtrak 3.2 in Alabaster White, expected delivery is end of October. Have never owned a 4wd , I have no commercial or professional use for a Ute the only reason to buy it was because it's a ford ranger and because I wanted one!. Have a few questions will be really grateful if you can guide me.

My use will be usual kids drop off pickup and some light to medium off roading, camping and or towing.
Have some honest newbie questions below.

What are the first mods I would need.

All terrain tyre ? How much would that cost ? Ranger comes with factory alloy wheels , will I need new wheels with the tyres?

Fender flares are they required? How much would they cost?

Do I really need a lift kit ? If yes how much will that cost ? I understand a little that lift might be needed with the bigger tyres but not really in depth. However I would love it make it look big and beasty.

We are a young family of 4 , any mods you can recommend that I would need ?

Roof rack ? Awning ? Costs again .....

How can I track the delivery of the Ute ? Is it the case that 3.2 can be delivered before the date commited by the dealer?

Above all which would these mods can void warranty?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

2021 Stock standard Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2L Auto
l0n3r4ng3r
100 Club

Re: Newbie questions

Post by l0n3r4ng3r »

I just bought an XLT. I bought one straight from the dealer's stock to avoid delays, so I can understand you anxiously awaiting delivery :)

As for things like tyres and suspension mods, my attitude is to try it out the way Ford deliver it first. You might be very happy withit as is. Even with the Bridgstone Duelers mine came with, I took it through some soft sand and rough track, and it was a pleasure to drive and handled it well. I am going to wear out the Bridgestone's before changing the tyres, and get my money's worth from them.

Roof racks and flairs make a big car even bigger, and mine barely fits in the garage and under shopping centres as is. Something to consider.
adamkberger

Post by adamkberger »

Congratulations on your purchase. I can't imagine having to wait that long for a vehicle. I like your honesty 'I wanted one!'. I agree with the previous post, try it first. I've owned mine since January and am still evaluating what I want to do to the car. It is exciting thinking about what accessories you can purchase. It can be addictive. I came from owning a Landcruiser with $27k worth of gear on it and then a Hilux with $10k worth of gear. I'm now at a point where I'll only put stuff on the Ranger that I actually need. I still made a mistake of putting a Pioneer platform over the cab as soon as I got it. It's extremely noisy up there and now I'm going with a canopy so the platform will go onto the canopy. It took me months to decide to go with a canopy again. I'm still evaluating if I want drawers again. It's your money though and if you want it, go for it. Just remember, you'll pay for it at the bowser.
SimonWTX 21
25 Club

Post by SimonWTX 21 »

Hi and congrats on your purchase, I hope the ranger gives you many years of pleasure
I have just got my wildtrak X 21.25 and love it, I did purchase a GME UHF radio and installed it ($450.00)
but other than that have not touched it (well sort of) as I am waiting for the need and not going with the want
I got the ranger as a tow vehicle for the caravan that I am having built (arrives in SEP)
and I have got my redarc elite 3 break controller ($350.00) oh also had the gen 3 Clearview mirrors fitted ($1,400.00)
I am having break controller and electrics (Anderson plugs x 2, caravan reversing camera monitor and 12 pin flat plug wired for van) done by auto elect for $1200 and will be ready to pick up van as the wildtrak X comes with flairs and nudge bar and light bar I didn't have to get those separate, but I did pay for them in the price of the truck.
Don't forget to think about any after market items that could affect your warranty lots of things that people tell you that you need will give Ford a reason to not pay for repairs if they can when or if things turn sour.
Hope that is not the case with your truck and hope this helps
Regards
Simon
newbieranger8
25 Club

Post by newbieranger8 »

l0n3r4ng3r wrote:I just bought an XLT. I bought one straight from the dealer's stock to avoid delays, so I can understand you anxiously awaiting delivery :)

As for things like tyres and suspension mods, my attitude is to try it out the way Ford deliver it first. You might be very happy withit as is. Even with the Bridgstone Duelers mine came with, I took it through some soft sand and rough track, and it was a pleasure to drive and handled it well. I am going to wear out the Bridgestone's before changing the tyres, and get my money's worth from them.

Roof racks and flairs make a big car even bigger, and mine barely fits in the garage and under shopping centres as is. Something to consider.
Thank you so much!!! Going to measure the Garage now honestly the first thing on my mind is just the roof rack and awning....

newbieranger8
25 Club

Post by newbieranger8 »

adamkberger wrote:Congratulations on your purchase. I can't imagine having to wait that long for a vehicle. I like your honesty 'I wanted one!'. I agree with the previous post, try it first. I've owned mine since January and am still evaluating what I want to do to the car. It is exciting thinking about what accessories you can purchase. It can be addictive. I came from owning a Landcruiser with $27k worth of gear on it and then a Hilux with $10k worth of gear. I'm now at a point where I'll only put stuff on the Ranger that I actually need. I still made a mistake of putting a Pioneer platform over the cab as soon as I got it. It's extremely noisy up there and now I'm going with a canopy so the platform will go onto the canopy. It took me months to decide to go with a canopy again. I'm still evaluating if I want drawers again. It's your money though and if you want it, go for it. Just remember, you'll pay for it at the bowser.
Thank you @adamkberger seems wise to wait, is it possible the the 3.2 might come in earlier than expected

Fondles
300 Club

Post by Fondles »

newbieranger8 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:49 am is it possible the the 3.2 might come in earlier than expected
Both FTM and AAT have just re-instated their 2nd shifts so it is possible it could be built earlier !!

any reason for choosing the Wildtrak over the FX4 MAX ?
My rides;
2020 Ranger XL+ Hi-Rider.
2014 D40 Navara.
2017 Honda Click 125i (Scooter).
2018 Yamaha XSR 900.
newbieranger8
25 Club

Post by newbieranger8 »

Fondles wrote:
newbieranger8 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:49 am is it possible the the 3.2 might come in earlier than expected
Both FTM and AAT have just re-instated their 2nd shifts so it is possible it could be built earlier !!

any reason for choosing the Wildtrak over the FX4 MAX ?
Honestly I needed a secured tub, as most of the time it will be used as a urban car, also now that the factory tub shutter is water and dust proof made it more convincing. I am not sure if fx4 comes in 3.2

lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

It isn't water or dust proof. Off-road use will prove that
newbieranger8
25 Club

Post by newbieranger8 »

lincolnland wrote:It isn't water or dust proof. Off-road use will prove that
Now I am worried , should I try to get it changed ? Is it even possible to switch to fx4 once I have booked Wildtrak?

lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Cooling off period
newbieranger8
25 Club

Post by newbieranger8 »

lincolnland wrote:Cooling off period
I am outside the cooling off periodImagedo you think I made was mistaken by going for the Wildtrak?

lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Purchase what you see fit. Your money your choice you'll enjoy any model of ranger. The xls will do anything the wildtrack will do with less gadgets
Fondles
300 Club

Post by Fondles »

newbieranger8 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:28 pm
lincolnland wrote:Cooling off period
I am outside the cooling off periodImagedo you think I made was mistaken by going for the Wildtrak?

you will love the Wildtrak so dont sweat it.

I only asked about the FX4 MAX as it comes delivered with the mods you want to do to the Wildtrak.
My rides;
2014 D40 Navara.
2018 Yamaha XSR 900.
scottoz
100 Club

Post by scottoz »

OK this is what I’d suggest

I believe ford now heave a heavy leafe spring option I’d take that.
Canape I got the ARB with full electric locking $4500k get a auto tail gate lock if not fitted
Fit the lightforce fascia panel for switches. If you are fitting a CB with full remote get the lightforce RJ45 pass through so you can plug/unplug the mic as needed. Also you fit the brake controller there so all very neat and tidy

Get the bull bar or nudge bar with the light mounting tabs
Roof rack go for the summit rack it has full weight capability. The rhino racks are limited to about 20Ks off road on dirt etc.
Rims /tyres flairs great but more a personal look thing
Finally get the ARB extended range take 140lts about $1400 fitted. You can alter the petrol tank size in the ECU
Get ford to turn off the smart charge If you are running a second battery

I spent about $10K on accessories before I purchased the Ranger. As it wasn’t my first 4X4 I had an idea what I wanted.

Keep the Wildtrack it will pay for itself on resale. Wish I had instead of going for the XLT.

If you’re going to tow get the clearview electric mirrors $1600 fitted. New ones coming out in July with single mirror which i’d go for.

Radio most go for the GME I went for the iCom more expensive but much better unit.

Auxiliary battery I went for a removable one I keep in the Tub. House of 12V thumper elite 110 AMPS about $800. If you go lithium in a battery box you need to have the power supply regulator for lithium not AGM/lead acid they will not work. Also run some 6B&S cable to the tub. Don’t go smaller

If you decide to get a jump starter little gizmo go for the capacitor type again more expensive $500 but they last forever and unlike the little milliampe things you don’t have to replace every couple of years and run them down and recharge regularly.

I think that’s about it and sorry about the mixed up rambling
SimonWTX 21
25 Club

Post by SimonWTX 21 »

Oh just another thought if you are towing go to the camping and caravan shows or 4 x 4 shows you can pick up gear with good discounts.
Simon
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Definitely not in Melb. Show prices are higher than negotiating at the supplier.
Lukeycat
100 Club

Post by Lukeycat »

lincolnland wrote:Definitely not in Melb. Show prices are higher than negotiating at the supplier.
Agreed sometimes ya can pick up small bits and pieces cheap but if ya shop around between various suppliers ya can generally negotiate a pretty decent deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
newbieranger8
25 Club

Post by newbieranger8 »

Just got an email from ford advising that the "your ranger is now in production" and gave me a NSC number , whats does this means in regards to the lead time to delivery? When can I expect the car here ?
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Ask your dealer
Fondles
300 Club

Post by Fondles »

Edit, answered same question from same person in other thread.
My rides;
2014 D40 Navara.
2018 Yamaha XSR 900.
NUTSACK

Post by NUTSACK »

Use it as you intend to and you will figure out what you need and what you would like to have..it can get expensive real fast adding bits and pieces that you might use..
greeny13579

Post by greeny13579 »

Hey guys, just bought a 2020 xls but it has those load rests on the back - just want to confirm with someone whether I can replace them with a sports bar?
Cheers
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Yes. You already asked this.
Highrider
100 Club

Post by Highrider »

l0n3r4ng3r wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:50 am I just bought an XLT. I bought one straight from the dealer's stock to avoid delays, so I can understand you anxiously awaiting delivery :)

This is a very level headed approach, I can't comprehend all the inexperienced people who buy a Ranger and straight away want to make huge modifications on their new car without even giving the factory standard car a go and this often comes at a huge cost and it is not always an improvement, often the suspension ends up too harsh and bigger knobbly tires are too noisy and increase fuel consumption when the standard car could have easily handled all the Newbie ever wanted to do, anyway just saying.......
LethalLeigh
300 Club

Post by LethalLeigh »

I was determined to maintain mine stock to see what it could do and it could do a lot. I tackled many tracks with highly modified Rangers, Hiluxes and Landcruisers and went everywhere they did.

Having said that, I have now given it a mild lift because I wasn't happy with the wallowing rear end, and put some A/T tyres on it because it was due for them. Still comfortable but uses a bit more fuel and tackles those tracks just a little bit easier.

Very happy with it stock, happier with some basic mods.