Noob offroading questions

Non Ranger Related Subjects
ss105

Noob offroading questions

Post by ss105 »

Hi all!

I took delivery of an XLS Sport about a month ago, and as it's my first 4x4 I have a few noob questions regarding offroading. I don't plan on doing anything serious, and the vehicle is currently stock.

1. Do I neeeeedd any mods for a bit of light offroading a few times a year? I'm fairly anal about keeping my vehicles in good nick so I won't be putting it in any overly risky situations. $$ are definitely a factor, as is garage space...currently have max 200mm to spare lengthwise before it doesn't fit
2. Preventing rust. Took it on the beach this last weekend and had a blast but I don't want it to rust out! I did pop it through the local (supposedly freshwater) underbody wash, and then gave it an extensive hosing down when I got back home too.
3. Recovery points. I know I can use the hitch pin on the towbar at the back, but I'm slightly uneasy about having nothing on the front. Any suggestions on points that can be attached stock? No bullbar and as mentioned garage space is an issue for adding length.
4. General useful gear to have. I've got a portable compressor, plan on getting a set of UHF radios, snatch straps/tow ropes as well. I'd say 99% of any offroading I do will be with a few friends who are fully kitted out and again, I don't want to go spending a huge amount on stuff for a few times a year!

Thanks in advance! Feel free to throw any other useful tips my way too.
lincolnland
300 Club

Re: Noob offroading questions

Post by lincolnland »

Only mod youll ever need is a catch can provent 200 and a set of 32s a.t. tyres. Front recovery point - roadsafe. Have a look in the for sale section on here. Sure theres a front recovery point for sale as new never used! The ranger in Stock form will go just about anywhere.
ss105

Post by ss105 »

Ah. I knew I missing a question, and that was the catch can! I've seen differing opinions on whether or not this voids warranty? Also if you happen to have a rough ballpark on cost that would be great. It does unfortunately get a bit of short distance trips, unavoidable as a daily driver with where I live, but there's probably an equal amount of longer trips at highway speeds to hopefully balance it out a bit.

I was certainly very impressed with how it handled on the beach! Felt very capable.
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Google provent 200. Plenty of places sell them. Tyres and your set
blueshine
75 Club

Post by blueshine »

A shovel. Preferably a proper long handled one rather than a folding one. This is probably the only must have item.

Letting your tyres down is the most important task when you get wheeling. You have the compressor, but a quick tyre deflator is a very cheap accessory which saves a lot of time.

The OEM tyres are fine for some light offroading, especially for sand, but ATs will be much better on other surfaces. I did everything with mine until I punctured the sidewall on sharp rocks in a creek, and then I had a good excuse to buy the ATs I wanted. The car in front had brand new BFG ATs and those lost a sidewall before my OEM road tyres did. I plugged mine and carried on, drove a couple thousand more km on it. Take a set of those tyre plugs, they're worth their weight in gold.

If you're doing sand work by yourself then a set of recovery tracks for sure. Although mainly letting your tyres down will solve most problems, and if you have friends just use theirs instead.

Worth taking a snatch strap if by yourself (you can get a passer-by to help), use a friend's if they are coming with you. Rear recovery is fine most of the time, front recovery points are good if you're doing something more challenging.

The clearance at the front is terrible with the stock bumper, main reason to get a bull bar if you want to offroad is for approach angle, makes a huge difference (and most come with front recovery points which solves your q above). Departure angle is then the limiting factor, remember to take the towball out to improve that a little, and worth re-routing the trailer harness to over the bar rather than under, so it doesn't get scraped up on rocks.

Really you don't need to do anything to get out there and have fun. Take your garden spade and figure out for yourself what your limits are and what you want to change to improve them.
SRD0060
100 Club

Post by SRD0060 »

Hey Blueshine, things I have changed/modded on my Wildtrak, Catch can - Western filters, iDrive - on sale at autobarn, Light bar - Stedi, Snorkel - Ebay Outback Armour rear shocks and AT tyres. and the only reason i changed the tyres is because I was heading inland for a few weeks. The Dunlop HT want everywhere I wanted to go (its how you drive it and pick your tracks).
I am now in the Process of upgrading the suspension to Outback Armour.

they are a pretty capable 4WD.
2019 Wildtrak
Outback Armour shocks
GME
If I wanted to hear from an Asshole i would have farted.
You don’t learn paying someone to do it!
l0n3r4ng3r
100 Club

Post by l0n3r4ng3r »

ss105 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:32 pm
2. Preventing rust. Took it on the beach this last weekend and had a blast but I don't want it to rust out! I did pop it through the local (supposedly freshwater) underbody wash, and then gave it an extensive hosing down when I got back home too.
Well, I wonder what people think about the opinion expressed by some (many?) that since all car bodies are galvanised these days, rust is largely a thing of the past. I must admit, it's a long time since I found rust in any of my vehicles.

If so, your washing should be quite sufficient to prevent premature rusting.
butch.
300 Club

Post by butch. »

My 2013 ute has been on the beach a bit since new, did a bit of paddock work at the farm and crossed the odd desert and I haven't noticed any rust. just give it a good tub when I can.
cheers, Butch.
ss105

Post by ss105 »

Cheers guys. Will sort a long handled shovel, and yes I definitely let the tyre pressures down for the sand and we were fine! Bought one of those el cheapo gauges with the thing to let the pressure down and it didn't take very long. Friends have recovery tracks and snatch straps so might hold off on those at least for now. Tyres, given how much I'll be doing, I'll just run with the stock for now and when it comes time to replace for whatever reason then I'll check out my options. I hadn't thought of tyre plugs, I'll add them to the list!

I did have one close call on approach angle on an inland track on the weekend...I just don't know if a bar will let it fit in the garage, which is more important to me! The tow ball has to live off anyway for this very same reason...our garage is not long haha.

Good to hear about the rust and that just really washing it out well should suffice! It'll spend a fair bit of time in random paddocks I think (bought it to tow a horse float). As mentioned though, I like to keep my cars in good nick, and try to wash them at least every fortnight, going a month in between is a long time for me!
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Spray inside chassis rails with fish oil and lanosil as a rust preventive. Especially if doing beach runs
Due South
25 Club

Post by Due South »

SRD0060 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:28 pm Hey Blueshine, things I have changed/modded on my Wildtrak, Catch can - Western filters, iDrive - on sale at autobarn, Light bar - Stedi, Snorkel - Ebay Outback Armour rear shocks and AT tyres. and the only reason i changed the tyres is because I was heading inland for a few weeks. The Dunlop HT want everywhere I wanted to go (its how you drive it and pick your tracks).
I am now in the Process of upgrading the suspension to Outback Armour.

they are a pretty capable 4WD.
Catch can, Western Filters. The bracket and set up is better. Especially if you also get a fuel pre filter too.

I have the Direction Plus kit, (also Provent 200 filter) and they make two brackets, one on the fwd drivers side, and another left hand passenger side rear of engine bay.
I opted for the front radiator mount as I figured this would be easier, as the fuel pre filter, sits behind the PV200 on the rear mount bracket kit and it's difficult to get to. To service the fuel filter means removing the PV200, whether for draining the bowl or even looking regularly is difficult. Having the two seperate units means it's more expensive to buy two units. However, you also dispose of the original OEM crank case ventilation hose and the replacement one from direction plus, just looks silly. It's also clearly obvious, which if there's any engine issues, putting it back to factory before having Ford warranty the car.

I like the Western Filters bracket assembly, this means the OEM hoses remain in place and also the fuel manager pre filter sits fwd of the PV200 and slightly higher, so it's easier to view/replace/drain etc.

In hindsight, I would have gone the western filters dual kit assembly, rather than the two Direction Plus kits. And it's heaps better than the direction plus dual kit for the 3.2.

All these observations are based on the 3.2 only
blueshine
75 Club

Post by blueshine »

Regarding the space for front bar I was in much the same situation, I had about 15cm to play with if I remember correctly. It was also pretty clear from my early off-roading that I had to fit a bar as the approach angle with the factory bumper was by far the biggest limitation.

It took me quite a lot of research to work out which bars would add the least overall length (accounting for the saving of removing the factory bumper). Most places you call can't even answer that question, so I had to go to the 4wd show with a tape measure. :-)

For me the answer was the Uneek crawler bar and some tape on the floor of the garage. So long as I line up the rear of the car on the tape using the reversing camera I'm all good, maybe 1cm of clearance at each end. The uneek bar also doesn't add much weight considering it's a steel bar with recovery points.

Since having mine fitted I've also seen the Rival bar which looks very good and I think would also fit, although I haven't measured it.

For corrosion protection I use https://www.lanotec.com.au/product/stee ... australia/ which I think is excellent. I spray it on the chassis and underbody and it lasts very well. I'm often on the beach with boats (but not in the sea!) so this gives me extra piece of mind.
Due South
25 Club

Post by Due South »

blueshine wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:13 pm Regarding the space for front bar I was in much the same situation, I had about 15cm to play with if I remember correctly. It was also pretty clear from my early off-roading that I had to fit a bar as the approach angle with the factory bumper was by far the biggest limitation.

It took me quite a lot of research to work out which bars would add the least overall length (accounting for the saving of removing the factory bumper). Most places you call can't even answer that question, so I had to go to the 4wd show with a tape measure. :-)

For me the answer was the Uneek crawler bar and some tape on the floor of the garage. So long as I line up the rear of the car on the tape using the reversing camera I'm all good, maybe 1cm of clearance at each end. The uneek bar also doesn't add much weight considering it's a steel bar with recovery points.

Since having mine fitted I've also seen the Rival bar which looks very good and I think would also fit, although I haven't measured it.

For corrosion protection I use https://www.lanotec.com.au/product/stee ... australia/ which I think is excellent. I spray it on the chassis and underbody and it lasts very well. I'm often on the beach with boats (but not in the sea!) so this gives me extra piece of mind.
Would love a front bar, but I've got even less room than you.
8mm conveyor belt rubber on the wall and wheel chocks on the garage floor and I come in dead square, and touch the rubber, I have two fingers gap between door and rear bumper/step...that's two fingers wide with my hand horizontal and flat.
One extra brick length on garage meant I would have been able to breathe when I drive in late at night after shift.
ss105

Post by ss105 »

blueshine wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:13 pm Regarding the space for front bar I was in much the same situation, I had about 15cm to play with if I remember correctly. It was also pretty clear from my early off-roading that I had to fit a bar as the approach angle with the factory bumper was by far the biggest limitation.

Thanks for the recommendations! I solved the "don't hit the back wall" problem with a few wooden sleepers screwed into a square...back sleep sits against the wall, front butts up against the back tyres. That let's me just gently reverse in, you can feel it bump against the sleeper and that gives me a few cm clearance at the back, and about 20cm at the front, which is enough to squeeze past and access the racking on that wall!
butch.
300 Club

Post by butch. »

ss105 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:32 pm Hi all!

I took delivery of an XLS Sport about a month ago, and as it's my first 4x4 I have a few noob questions regarding offroading. I don't plan on doing anything serious, and the vehicle is currently stock.

1. Do I neeeeedd any mods for a bit of light offroading a few times a year? I'm fairly anal about keeping my vehicles in good nick so I won't be putting it in any overly risky situations. $$ are definitely a factor, as is garage space...currently have max 200mm to spare lengthwise before it doesn't fit
I don't want to go spending a huge amount on stuff for a few times a year!

Thanks in advance! Feel free to throw any other useful tips my way too.
The only Mod you really neeeedd is Time. Time to go out and enjoy the great outside. I've seen stock standard ute's go pretty much everywhere. Just my thought's. cheers. Butch.
jstanovic
300 Club

Post by jstanovic »

Do a 4x4 course, great place to learn and ask questions without your mates giving you crap haha! You will learn all the basics including how to do a recovery safely.

Agree with others, tyres are most likely to stop you off-road due to traction or punctures. Beach tracks are generally fine though, rocks and gravel can take their toll though.
2014 PX1 XLT auto
ss105

Post by ss105 »

jstanovic wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:40 am Do a 4x4 course, great place to learn and ask questions without your mates giving you crap haha! You will learn all the basics including how to do a recovery safely.
Course is a great idea thanks! The mates luckily were super supportive, they understood my desire to protect a brand new vehicle haha. That and they were too busy trying to bog each other where we parked out on the spit for fun... :lol:
LethalLeigh
300 Club

Post by LethalLeigh »

x3 on the course - well worth it. A good deflator and compressor is the best start, along with some skills and knowledge. You will surprise quite a few people (including yourself) with how far you can go with just this. As mentioned, they are quite a capable vehicle stock.

Previously I came from a heavily kitted out Landcruiser with many 10's of 1,000s of dollars spent on accessories that I did based mostly on advice from others. When I got the Ranger I set myself a no-mod challenge to see where the deficiencies may be. I have since made some mods however all of the mods made have been have been very considered based on my experience and not what everyone else thought I should do. Not saying you shouldn't seek or listen to advice from others, just saying that you will be the best judge for what you want and need.

Enjoy your mods and show us as you progress.
Grant L1
300 Club

Post by Grant L1 »

LethalLeigh wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:53 pm x3 on the course - well worth it. A good deflator and compressor is the best start, along with some skills and knowledge. You will surprise quite a few people (including yourself) with how far you can go with just this. As mentioned, they are quite a capable vehicle stock.

Previously I came from a heavily kitted out Landcruiser with many 10's of 1,000s of dollars spent on accessories that I did based mostly on advice from others. When I got the Ranger I set myself a no-mod challenge to see where the deficiencies may be. I have since made some mods however all of the mods made have been have been very considered based on my experience and not what everyone else thought I should do. Not saying you shouldn't seek or listen to advice from others, just saying that you will be the best judge for what you want and need.

Enjoy your mods and show us as you progress.
Really good advise.