Re: seat going down

Non Ranger Related Subjects
battery

Post by battery »

hi all has anyone worked out how to stop the drivers seat going down it drive me crazy
ozy

Post by ozy »

No and neither does my Ford dealer :roll:
Knackers

Post by Knackers »

Yep it's a pain in the behind
smallmoves

Post by smallmoves »

Bt50 has same issue. Mazda working on a fix. Ffs cant be that hard can it!
Adzy
200 Club

Post by Adzy »

Im lucky, im tall and can manage with it all the way down. I prefer a little higer tho :(
gimp4930

Post by gimp4930 »

I had a blow up doll like that once.
roger roo

Post by roger roo »

my girlfriend goes down too every time i go and sit on her
KEN108

Post by KEN108 »

You could always put a brick under the seat, ask your dealer for one with a logo on it!!!
Matt479

Post by Matt479 »

I had same prob in my Mazda BT-50 and this week Mazda put a new seat base in. Guess what...it still goes down. I only have the seat up one full notch but being only 5'11" i still need to slide down out of the truck. But I'm thinking it is this, my seat is bottomed out every dozen or so entry and exits outta the truck, i put my hand under my thigh when i got out today to feel if the action of sliding out is causing the seat lever to depress slightly and over a dozen exits it causes the seat to go down. And yep that's what's doing it. To proved this the last two days i used the side steps to assist getting out etc and the seat hasnt gone down.

Can anyone else test to prove or disprove my theory, thanks....

Seems to be noted elsewhere too...

http://www.ozmazda.com/board/index.php/ ... djustment/
george87
300 Club

Post by george87 »

My ranger does it. Ford no about it won't replace the seat for the reason it won't solve the problem. I advised to replace with wild track seats as they don't sag hahah still waiting
ozy

Post by ozy »

Unfreakin believable :lol: :lol: :lol:

Matt479 I think you've hit the nail on the head :shock: , I was only thinking the other day that my seat hadn't dropped for a week or two and guess what?????

I installed side steps around the same time and have been using them to step in and out because I figured sliding on and off the seat continuosly would prematurely wear the fabric and also hadn't noticed before how much the seat does compress almost onto the lever that raIses and lowers the seat ;)

Well done Matt :D
cizzink11

Post by cizzink11 »

Custom lever mod anyone lol

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
Grant L

Post by Grant L »

Yep same here, seat goes down.
Matt479

Post by Matt479 »

My seat aint going down anymore.

I raised the seat right up to have a look under for some ideas.

Low and behold there was a vacant hole where the scissor action of the two metal plates meet at the rear of the seat base on the door side. I only need the seat up 1-1.5 pumps and decided to put an M6 x 15mm Alan key bolt (I want round heads to prevent the black seat base paint being scraped off by sharp bolts heads) with 2 x M6 stainless washers and an M6 Nylock Nut. Got it all at Bunnings.

Problem solved. Eased lever down and seat is exactly at the required height with no chance of it slipping further.
Image 2.jpg
Image 1.jpg
fishwenican

Post by fishwenican »

Such a simple fix for such an irritating issue.
Yep now that i DO use the side steps....seat stays up.
Matt i think thats the solution.
Well done.
Matt479

Post by Matt479 »

Yep I use side steps to but the tube ones can be a pain getting out.

Just an application revision, I found that 3 washers on Allen key side of bolt gives seat base strut that rests on it a greater bearing area and capacity.
paw

Post by paw »

Sounds like a simple fix Matt but does that put a twisting load on the rest of the seat base? And if so is there a matching hole on the inboard side?
Matt479

Post by Matt479 »

No, there is no hole on the inboard side and I was thinking about the same thing whilst doing it.
What do you guys think?
Blindman

Post by Blindman »

Definitely do both sides.
Matt479

Post by Matt479 »

Yep, definately no holes on inboard side, have taken the nut and bolt out as i can def see seat frame twisting over time. Back to drawing board.
rgbenno

Post by rgbenno »

Can you get a drill in there to get a second hole in?

Cheers,
Rick
Matt479

Post by Matt479 »

Nah the bracket on the onboard side is a different shape and cut alot lower so any extra holes drilled on that side wouldnt work.

Seriously, such a stupid thing to go wrong on such an awesome truck the BT-50/Ranger... Bloody annoying!
Nasty63

Post by Nasty63 »

And I thought I was going mad, always thinking I'm sure I had the seat higher position last time I drove it, the answers to gremlins you find on this great forum!!!
workhack

Post by workhack »

I think a bolt on the outboard side will suffice. Considering the lifting mechanism is only on the outboard side to begin with. :idea:
digger 12

Drivers seat

Post by digger 12 »

Has any one had trouble with the drivers seat on the PX XLT ranger dual cab ? My seat seams to go down was told by service manager that when I am getting in and out I'm touching the hight leaver so I stuck a small plastic wedge to stop the leaver from moving but still seamed to keep going down went back showed him what I had done told me good idea but take it out when getting service any way looked at seat and he told me that they would replace padding on seat well they have done that the seat looks like crap can see the steel frame and still doing the same thing get the car in the morning seat is at the right or higher , get in the car in the afternoon and it has gone down some not a lot but still has gone down so I lift it up and drive home and I the morning the seat is again right hight or higher . So have to ask can the heat of the day in central coast Q.L.D be making the seat softer in the heat and firmer in the cool . Sorry for the long winded post .
RangerRik

Re: Drivers seat

Post by RangerRik »

There's already a pretty big thread on this topic somewhere. I think someone even came up with a fix involving a bolt in the lifting mechanism.
Simon
Site Admin

Post by Simon »

Do a search first mate it saves me alot of work ... ;)

Cheers Simon
trentski
300 Club

Re: Drivers seat

Post by trentski »

RangerRik wrote:There's already a pretty big thread on this topic somewhere. I think someone even came up with a fix involving a bolt in the lifting mechanism.
Pretty sure they took it out as they would have had to drill holes to get one on the other side, they were worried about twisting the seat.
wrexx

Re: Re: seat going down

Post by wrexx »

its really only a few pumps to get it up to height,possibly the only reason besides the motor i bought the vehicle in the first place !i can live with ,with the triton i was putting washers under the seat mounts to get it higher.
Blindman

Post by Blindman »

I've learnt to live with it!
NormanJ

Post by NormanJ »

Well I had my seat base replaced yesterday and it has gone down already, I was told it was how I got in and out of the vehicle. But that don't work because I can drive for 3 hours with out getting in and out and it still goes down.
Highrider
100 Club

Post by Highrider »

george87 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:56 pm My ranger does it. Ford no about it won't replace the seat for the reason it won't solve the problem. I advised to replace with wild track seats as they don't sag hahah still waiting
Mine does it as well, my theory is that when one slides out of the car the pump handle gets moved down a bit which leaves the valve a little open and allows the fluid to drain/air (I guess it is air but not sure) back, hence after I get out of the car I give the handle a couple of pumps to make sure the handle is all the way up and I don't have the problem anymore!
Last edited by Highrider on Sun May 23, 2021 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Keep on the dealer for warranty. Had mine done a couple of time and all good now. Doesnt sink anymore
REEF166

Post by REEF166 »

drill hole on inside inside bracket works fine
butch.
300 Club

Post by butch. »

Is the seat height adjustment mechanical?
Not so sure there's any hydraulics of any sort under there.
cheers. Butch.