long range fuel tanks

Non Ranger Related Subjects
Adrian

long range fuel tanks

Post by Adrian »

Im looking at the long ranger brand of tank supplied by ARB.

Long ranger have two tank sizes 132lt and 150lt but the 150lt hangs 46mm past the chassis where the 132lt sits flush inline .
The 150lt has a leading tapper to maintain standard ramp over angle...but i wonder how it will fair in the bush.

so come on guys let me know what ya think is the better option
132lt or 150lt
macmanluke
300 Club

Re: long range fuel tanks

Post by macmanluke »

go the 132, iv heard of at least one person splitting the 150L tank off road.

the minor difference could be made up with just 1 jerry can.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

what sort of range do you get from the 132lt
macmanluke
300 Club

Post by macmanluke »

it would depend on driving style e.g. highway off road etc but id imagine you should be able to get around 1300km
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

yep thats what i just worked out the milage to be was hoping for a little more km per tank as Im looking to go to Bathurst for the race this year
but thats still from norseman W.A. to Ceduna on one tank then again the patrol was 260lt (both tanks) and only done 1700km
freespirit
300 Club

Post by freespirit »

What about a silva 200ltr. tank with 12v pump and hand piece in back of ute. A lot cheaper and can remove when not needed or to another vehicle. :idea: . I think I will be going this way. But maybe the 100 ltr. AJ
george87
300 Club

Post by george87 »

I dont see why you couldn't go the 132l tank and then see if you can get the auxiliary tank available for other rangers that sit in the spare wheel spot. I think there about 60l
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

ok who supplies the 60lt auxilliary tank and how much damage to the hip pocket
george87
300 Club

Post by george87 »

Haven't seen one for the px as yet but the same company from memory does the ones for the pk. Probably give them a call and see what's what
trentski
300 Club

Post by trentski »

I'd look at how often you are gong to use it and the cost. Carrying that extra fuel around when you don't need it increases your fuel consumption and tyre wear. Could end up costing a lot over the life of the vehicle for one trip.........
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

im definatley going to be using the full extent of the tank (tanks ?) as i have plans to do a trip to the TIP maybe next year and its a long drive from W.A.
pet-els
100 Club

Post by pet-els »

Adrian,
I am fitting a 60l Poly tank in the tub. It weighs only 9kg empty and the Long Ranger goes about 34kg empty. Plus you can get larger tanks.
PeterH
whiplash
75 Club

Post by whiplash »

apparently for 2013 cars the tank has changed to a 22l and 40l due to a new handbrake arrangement on the 2013 model vehicles. 10l is a massive reduction for a cable...
Milky
100 Club

Post by Milky »

Yeh I had mine booked in today for the 132 long ranger only to be told they have a new version for it, does it change the ground clearance???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
macmanluke
300 Club

Post by macmanluke »

If you have an earlier model make sure they get the bigger tank.

Picked up my Brown Davis 145L yesterday. Probably wont get to put it in for a few weeks.

They are damn heavy! can barely move it - empty!
Milky
100 Club

Post by Milky »

I got June ranger and wondering what's the best tank for clearance now that I can't get the 132l long ranger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
macmanluke
300 Club

Post by macmanluke »

guess it would be the option of the 122L Long ranger or 145L brown davis or Long range australia.

Thinking the BD and LRA might require modification of the hand brake cable mounting?
Casper
25 Club

Post by Casper »

Milky wrote:Yeh I had mine booked in today for the 132 long ranger only to be told they have a new version for it, does it change the ground clearance???
Do you know what the new version is mate?

I spoke to a WA ARB dealer about a month ago and they never mentioned anything of this, or moving the handbrake for that matter?

MacManLuke - What do you you think of the Brown Davis? Iv done a bit of research and have found old forums (dating back to 2004 - cant find anything recent) about the BD tanks splitting and leaking. Im leaning towards the LRA tanks, as i plan on touring down under when my current job finishes (in about 20,000 years with the way the project managers are going...) and if the LRA tank does fail, there wont be a ARB dealer too far away to replace it...

Casper
Beer... Boobies... Blondes... Hmmm

If god didnt want us to eat animals, then why did he make them out of food?
macmanluke
300 Club

Post by macmanluke »

Looking at it its pretty bullet proof looking - dealer i bought it off has had no issues. They are all made from 2mm aluminiumised steel so i dont really see there being much difference.

If you want ARBs warranty network then you want Long ranger, not to be confused with long range automotive.
Dchaniel
100 Club

Post by Dchaniel »

i'm trying to find a heavy duty tank to fit where the spare wheel goes, anyone thought of going down this route?
Stefs-cruiser
300 Club

Post by Stefs-cruiser »

I am going to try and find one of these to fit.
But I would like about 80L of diesel as well as about 60L of water to fit under the tray/ spare wheel area.

http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/s ... =1037_2684
Last edited by Stefs-cruiser on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
macmanluke
300 Club

Post by macmanluke »

Im considering adding a combined water / fuel tank under there once i have a rear bar.

Most likely have to be custom.

Opposite lock do tank but it made to be used with a spare (at cost of ground clearance) but its pretty dear!
Dchaniel
100 Club

Post by Dchaniel »

that looks the goods stefs-cruiser, i may have to make a bash plate for it tough so it doesn't get punctured
Wyldie
200 Club

Post by Wyldie »

I'm really conflicted on the whole fuel tank issue.

From what I've read, there is one 150 long range tank that hangs down way to low, there is another 150L long range tank that has a fair amount of unusable area in it or something. There is a 132L tank that seems to be the pick as it sits higher than the chassis rail and the fuel gauge is somewhat more accurate than the others.
Or
I would get a tank mounted above the spare wheel which would make the spare wheel sit lower which defeats the point of me changing the rear tow bar to improve ground clearance.

I think that this stage I will get a tank (possibly custom made/ maybe not) to fit under the roller shutter box that I can remove when not in use as it seems the easiest option.

Long range tank = good except/ weight/ ground clearance issues/ computer issues
temp tank = good expect moving fuel from one tank to the other / however possible to sort out

How can a car if this size not have a space for a spare tank other than in the tray, bloody crazy
macmanluke
300 Club

Post by macmanluke »

Thats why i went with brown davis 145L usable (according to them, yet to test) and same clearance as original tank.

Wonder if a tank could be made up for the passenger side if the exhaust was routed slightly more efficiently.
Dchaniel
100 Club

Post by Dchaniel »

hi wyldie, my spare does not fit under the vehicle so will be mounted on a swing away tyre carrier, therefore no ground clearance lost. the 132lt would be the way if you where looking for a replacement, however with a steel tray there are also more options agian
Wyldie
200 Club

Post by Wyldie »

macmanluke wrote:Thats why i went with brown davis 145L usable (according to them, yet to test) and same clearance as original tank.

Wonder if a tank could be made up for the passenger side if the exhaust was routed slightly more efficiently.
Yeah the brown davis one doesn't sound to bad, how was the fuel gauge on that one through? I've already got scratches down the cover on the plastic tank from 4wd'ing maybe I can talk the misses into a suspension lift too :)
Wyldie
200 Club

Post by Wyldie »

Dchaniel wrote:hi wyldie, my spare does not fit under the vehicle so will be mounted on a swing away tyre carrier, therefore no ground clearance lost. the 132lt would be the way if you where looking for a replacement, however with a steel tray there are also more options again
I take it you have moved to an oversize tyre, nice.. i'll be keeping my tyre size the same so happy with it under the car.

Steel tray would offer more options for second fuel tank to true, but I like the well body :)
macmanluke
300 Club

Post by macmanluke »

Wyldie wrote:
macmanluke wrote:Thats why i went with brown davis 145L usable (according to them, yet to test) and same clearance as original tank.

Yeah the brown davis one doesn't sound to bad, how was the fuel gauge on that one through? I've already got scratches down the cover on the plastic tank from 4wd'ing maybe I can talk the misses into a suspension lift too :)
Not sure how the gauge will work, think it will stay on full for a bit then behave normally.

Tank is more sturdy than id expected, be doing well to damage it.
Excouncil
300 Club

Post by Excouncil »

Guys ,
I have been looking at this for some time now ,
Tell me what is wrong with this idea !

A 70 litre tank in /on the tub/tray .
A Donaldson water trapping filter and a transfer pump capable of at least 33 litre per minute .
I only fill into the tub tank , only , no exceptions .

when the standard tank gets down to the Low Fuel Indicator , I pull over to the side of the track / road .
Put the transfer hose into the orig fuel filler and start the transfer pump .
At the same time !
My offsider has lit the stove and put water on to boil .

Water reaches ' the boil ' and then goes into the Plunger with Coffee grounds . ( A brew is happening ! )

The 70 litre has been pumped into the main tank and the fuel guage reads full or maybe a bit over .

We drink our Coffee and down buttered rock cakes and get back on the road .

At no time does unfiltered fuel go into the main tank .

We get a break from the monotomy of being on the road !
crazytigger
200 Club

Post by crazytigger »

Skip the yuppy coffee plunger for a few beers and you might be onto something!!:)
Chopper
300 Club

Post by Chopper »

One of my staff makes these

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

He's currently doing the ground work for a diesel tank using the same mould.

He has bought a BT50 tub for his r and d for rangers and BTs.
macmanluke
300 Club

Post by macmanluke »

oo thats interesting.

Id be keen on one as a water tank on the drivers side - should fit nicely with my drawers.
Dchaniel
100 Club

Post by Dchaniel »

That's a fantastic idea, do you know what his prices are roughly, would love one as diesel and the other as water. Would make a very tidy setup
Chopper
300 Club

Post by Chopper »

I don't know what his prices are, sorry.

But I've ordered one.

He's doing up a custom fit out for the BT for me based upon its role as a vehicle for driver training rather than touring.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.
Excouncil
300 Club

Post by Excouncil »

Tell him not to get upset when he see s others just like it !!!!
I have made four so far in alloy treadplate , in 9 months .
It makes good use of otherwise wasted space .
Chopper
300 Club

Post by Chopper »

Excouncil wrote:Tell him not to get upset when he see s others just like it !!!!
I have made four so far in alloy treadplate , in 9 months .
It makes good use of otherwise wasted space .
There is nothing truly new under the sun.

He's a big boy. ;)
NTScam
25 Club

Post by NTScam »

I have the 145 lt Brown Davis tank and after 5500 k's, still trying to work out the the fuel available against the fuel gauge,the only way I was able to to achieve it was fill up, at any time, 1/4 tank seems as though there is about 60l left in the tank, very rough calculation as it was only filled 7 times. could take a while to confirm now as car will only require fuel every 6 months. I dont drive it much.
Blindman
100 Club

Post by Blindman »

I have had the brown Davis 145l tank for a few months now.
Every time it says it's empty it can only take about 120litres leaving approx 25 to 30 in the tank.
Has anyone run their ranger until fuel cutoff on any of these?
Any one done any modification?
Any feedback please.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Adrian wrote:Im looking at the long ranger brand of tank supplied by ARB.

Long ranger have two tank sizes 132lt and 150lt but the 150lt hangs 46mm past the chassis where the 132lt sits flush inline .
The 150lt has a leading tapper to maintain standard ramp over angle...but i wonder how it will fair in the bush.

so come on guys let me know what ya think is the better option
132lt or 150lt
Don't do the ARB Long Ranger 150.
I did it over the 132 but have a max available of 135 before the car shuts down and ARB tell me that's ok.
That's not ok if I wanted that I would have got the 132 wouldn't I.
I went the 150 for the extra capacity, they've already fixed it once and this is the better version???