long range fuel tanks

Non Ranger Related Subjects
GerryP
300 Club

Re: long range fuel tanks

Post by GerryP »

$1150 fitted mate. Ordered it at the recent 4WD show in Adelaide. Also ordered a rear step bar as well.
Gerry
MY17 PX2 XLT Supercab
Restoring... '65 XP Falcon Futura Hardtop
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

cool cheers
which rear bar did u go for? is it 1150 fitted? cheers :)
GerryP
300 Club

Post by GerryP »

Yeah, $1150 fitted for the tank mate.

I went for the Summit RSTB with colour coded wing panels (Meteor Grey) and parking sensors. They're a nice looking bar, but it did cost me $1800 fitted, even at their show special price.

Gerry
MY17 PX2 XLT Supercab
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

i agree they do look good. my concern with the wings is they hole saw through the lower quarter and bolt to the chassis. im wondering if you come down hard and hit the lower edge of the wing (when off road) and it buckles upwards, will it bugger the quarter? just my thoughts! :)
GerryP
300 Club

Post by GerryP »

lincolnland wrote:i agree they do look good. my concern with the wings is they hole saw through the lower quarter and bolt to the chassis. im wondering if you come down hard and hit the lower edge of the wing (when off road) and it buckles upwards, will it bugger the quarter? just my thoughts! :)
Mmmm dunno??? I'll just make sure my insurance is paid up eh ;) ...
Gerry
MY17 PX2 XLT Supercab
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

just thought if u had a reasonably steep/sharp drop off and u bang the rear bar (which i do regularly in my work hack but the tjm bar work is outside and under the quarters), that it could crinkle the quarters quite easily. still like the look of the bar though.. actually i dont mind any bar as long as the sherbets are cold ;)
Last edited by lincolnland on Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Superdan
25 Club

Post by Superdan »

lincolnland wrote:just thought if u had a reasonably steep/sharp drop off and u bang the rear bar (which i do regularly in my work hack but the tjm bar work is outside and ynder the quarters), that it could crinkly the quarters quite easily. still like the look if the bar though.. actually i dont mind any bar as long as the sherbets are cold ;)
I agree mate. Thats why i went for tjm rear bar. As for the fuel tank. I have a long ranger 150l and never had any trouble with it. It may look pretty but its a seasoned ranger and well punished but experience teaches you not to break stuff anymore. Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Superdan
25 Club

Post by Superdan »

TJM rearImage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
GerryP
300 Club

Post by GerryP »

Just to follow on from my previous posts, I ended up not getting the ARB rear step bar as it apparently won't fit with flares. Fortunately they decided it was their problem for not asking or looking at the car and gave me a full refund, even though the bar was already specially colour coded for my vehicle.

I'll probably go with Ironman now, they look a nice bar, will fit with flares and can also be drilled to take the parking sensors. Might get a set of their side steps at the same time as the oem ones just hang too low for my liking.
Gerry
MY17 PX2 XLT Supercab
iainboyd

Post by iainboyd »

I've had the ARB Frontier fitted, 140 litres and looking at it the clearance hasn't altered - otherwise the ARB underbody protection plates wouldn't fit, certainly the construction cannot be faulted. As for the computer, altering the fuel tank capacity from 80 to 140 isn't too hard.
Copie
200 Club

Post by Copie »

iainboyd wrote:I've had the ARB Frontier fitted, 140 litres and looking at it the clearance hasn't altered - otherwise the ARB underbody protection plates wouldn't fit, certainly the construction cannot be faulted. As for the computer, altering the fuel tank capacity from 80 to 140 isn't too hard.
The bash plates aren’t anywhere near the fuel tank, and the 140 definitely hangs down lower then the factory unit or a 122L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iainboyd

Post by iainboyd »

Copie wrote:
iainboyd wrote:I've had the ARB Frontier fitted, 140 litres and looking at it the clearance hasn't altered - otherwise the ARB underbody protection plates wouldn't fit, certainly the construction cannot be faulted. As for the computer, altering the fuel tank capacity from 80 to 140 isn't too hard.
The bash plates aren’t anywhere near the fuel tank, and the 140 definitely hangs down lower then the factory unit or a 122L

I'll post photos of mine once I've taken delivery next week - its only been 10 weeks in the making !! By the way in response to a previous comment I have the ARB step bar fitted, and mine has the Ford ERG flares and there was no problem, the benefit of the ARB step bar is that you can easily fit the torsion bar "finger" lifter system to the tailgate without having to remove the rear bar to fit them - as you would have to do with the ARB Ascent rear bar. The torsion bars utilise the bolt holes that retain the original Ford rear bumper.
mk82
25 Club

Post by mk82 »

Just found something on ebay called Centaurus portable diesel fuel tank with pump.
Looks easy to modified as second fuel tank and cost only 1/3 of normal long range tank.
Hotchopper

Post by Hotchopper »

mk82 wrote:Just found something on ebay called Centaurus portable diesel fuel tank with pump.
Looks easy to modified as second fuel tank and cost only 1/3 of normal long range tank.
I like the idea . Essentially if you own a camper and use it as your base , this could be bolted under it instead of the ranger
I'm so good at being fashionably late for parties I sometimes don't even bother showing up at all
Scale
25 Club

Post by Scale »

This review isn’t very flattering.

Copie
200 Club

Post by Copie »

The tanks aren’t designed to be sealed that’s what the breather is for. Sounds like he overfilled it hence it coming out of the breather

kfa1950

Post by kfa1950 »

I fitted a Brown Davis 150 litre steel tank. Bottom of tank is flat and does not hang down.
Neilhoh
50 Club

Post by Neilhoh »

Bit of an aged thread this one but, I have the 140 L Frontier tank in PXIII just taken delivery of.
The DTE seems to be about right - starts off at a tad under 1400 klms. Not sure if there was some adjustment made for that.
Gauge is not quite right but seems same as the Long Ranger in my Hilux;
Doesn't move until 40L used, then
"Full" = 100 L remaining
3/4 = 80 L remaining
And assume same as Long Ranger as follows
1/2 = 60 L
1/4 = 40 L
Empty [light on] = 20 litres remaining.

Does anyone know what the actual usable volume is? If you have run it to empty I would like you to have the warm fuzzy glow of ensuring others benefit from your mistake. :D
Neilhoh
50 Club

Post by Neilhoh »

Further update, apparently my DTE sensor was updated by for for a 140 L tank. So it is possible.
pkltg5

Post by pkltg5 »

Can you advice who installed your tank and updated your ECU to correct your DTE...
Brente1982
300 Club

Post by Brente1982 »

pkltg5 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:57 pm Can you advice who installed your tank and updated your ECU to correct your DTE...
Can we done with forscan
PX2 My17 XLT Dual Cab - Aluminium Silver
Fitted with a host of accessories that have made my Ranger one heavy a$$ b1atch