long range fuel tanks

Non Ranger Related Subjects
waspworks
75 Club

Re: long range fuel tanks

Post by waspworks »

Boots wrote:Hey tofski, I'm looking at one of the ARB poly tanks as well. What does your trip computer do? Do they recalibrate the fuel capacity in the computer or does it go into negative mode once you have used your standard 80 litres?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ranger PX dual cab
Honda VTR 1000
Try and measure it with your bum in the drivers seat Boots... :evil:

Greg.
tofski

Post by tofski »

[quote="Boots"]Hey tofski, I'm looking at one of the ARB poly tanks as well. What does your trip computer do? Do they recalibrate the fuel capacity in the computer or does it go into negative mode once you have used your standard 80 litres?

Don't know but since last fill up used 150km of fuel and still shows 800km plus till empty . Lot more than last time , maybe the px2 has a self learning mode . The L/ph still is accurate though.
ira11y
300 Club

Post by ira11y »

tofski wrote:
Boots wrote:Hey tofski, I'm looking at one of the ARB poly tanks as well. What does your trip computer do? Do they recalibrate the fuel capacity in the computer or does it go into negative mode once you have used your standard 80 litres?

Don't know but since last fill up used 150km of fuel and still shows 800km plus till empty . Lot more than last time , maybe the px2 has a self learning mode . The L/ph still is accurate though.
I don't think its learning, I think it just sees the maximum resistance because the sender is still at maximum height, as soon as it starts dropping you might see the numbers fudge around a bit. But that wont be until you are about halfway through the tank.

keep us informed tofski, its great to have some real world info on the PX2 tanks

Forgot to add, I filled mine up yesterday for the first time (factory tank), did 90kms today and its still showing 800kms to empty as well.
Cheers
Michael

Without quantifiable facts there are merely opinions. Opinions are like an anus, everybody's got one!
Boots
300 Club

Post by Boots »

I've bit the bullet and ordered one of the frontier tanks from ARB. Everything I've heard points toward a re set each time you turn the ignition on. It thinks you've filled the tank, but only factors in 80 litres. As a few others have said, once it gets down a bit, trip computer starts working like normal. I always fill mine right up, but I might just chuck 10 litres in next time and see what happens. I remember on the Simpson desert trip, I topped up from Jerries and it adapted, but I think I have killed those brain cells since, as I can't remember how accurate it was. Bad news is, it won't be here until Jan - Feb. heaps of back orders. Apparently, if you wanted an ARB deluxe bull bar at the moment for a Ranger, you are / were 321st in line a couple of days ago, whereas they Have over 50 in stock for Hi-Lux. Will keep you posted.

Ranger PX dual cab
Honda VTR 1000
FreestyleCab
25 Club

Post by FreestyleCab »

Does the Frontier tank have a drain plug?
D-ranged
300 Club

Post by D-ranged »

post by Boots » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:39 am Apparently, if you wanted an ARB deluxe bull bar at the moment for a Ranger, you are / were 321st in line a couple of days ago, whereas they Have over 50 in stock for Hi-Lux. Will keep you posted.

Ouch for Toyota!!!
Boots
300 Club

Post by Boots »

D-ranged, that was the word from my ARB dealer late last week when he was enquiring about my tank. This part of the world used to be Hi Lux country once, I even had one for a while myself, but everywhere you look, it's Rangers these days.

Ranger PX dual cab
Honda VTR 1000
Boots
300 Club

long range fuel tanks

Post by Boots »

Still waiting for my frontier tank to arrive. Not overly concerned about trip computer any more. Did some serious 4WDing today with some steep climbs and descents. Played merry hell with the trip computer and the fuel gauge. Around 1/4 of an hour or so going down hill and the gauge went from around 1/2 full down to 1/4 full and stayed there for ages, then when I was going up the other side, the litres per 100 Kms average went from 14.5 to over 17, as you would expect. Trip computer then told me I had 129 Km to empty (with half a tank). Then I had a long mostly downhill drive out of the high country and 90 of Kms later, I still had 129 Kms to empty. I must admit, I hadn't paid much attention before I started looking at long range tanks, but it seems like the trip computer is fine on hwy or relatively flat roads, but chucks a wobbly in the steep stuff.

Ranger PX dual cab
Honda VTR 1000Image

Well, new tank is installed, I've done a bit over 300 km on what the gauge says is 1/4 of a tank, which works in with my estimate of around 1,200 Km from a tank. I'm currently averaging 11.8 l/100 Kms according to display, although I reckon I'm getting a bit better than that due to the larger tyres. Fuel computer still useless though, distance to empty, 450 km on remaining 3/4, I hope not. Refilled just after this, put in 48 litres and DTE went back to 650. Oh well hopefully after a couple of trips I will get a handle on how the gauge relates to what is left.ImageImageImage
ira11y
300 Club

Post by ira11y »

Finally got the ARB Frontier poly tank fitted this week, so far so good. First fill was 123L after fitment. The DTE has moved from 880 to 760km and stayed steady.

How many Kms are others getting before they see the fuel gauge start to move?
Cheers
Michael

Without quantifiable facts there are merely opinions. Opinions are like an anus, everybody's got one!
Boots
300 Club

long range fuel tanks

Post by Boots »

I get a couple of hundred kms before the gauge starts to move. I bought a Wi Fi OBD dongle thingy for my Simmo trip, just to be able to clear codes, like water in the fuel filter after swapping the filter. Didn't need it though. Anyway, had a bit more of a look at the app "Dash Command." Allows you to set custom amounts for tank size (140 litres). It tells me what percentage of fuel is remaining, time to empty in hours and minutes, distance to empty in Kms. And it amends the distance as your average changes. Seems pretty reliable so far, but I've only bee mucking around with it for a day or so. Need to fill up tomorrow, will see if the DTE goes into 4 figures.

BLACKCRUSADER
200 Club

Post by BLACKCRUSADER »

ira11y wrote:Finally got the ARB Frontier poly tank fitted this week, so far so good. First fill was 123L after fitment. The DTE has moved from 880 to 760km and stayed steady.

How many Kms are others getting before they see the fuel gauge start to move?
Got some pics of your tank?
ira11y
300 Club

Post by ira11y »

BLACKCRUSADER wrote:
Got some pics of your tank?
Not really much to see, the brackets look nice and sturdy, the tank sits about 1 inch below the chassis rail but higher than the side steps. Nice tidy install. So far out of 1/8th of a tank Ive done just under 400km, I actually prefer the way the sender works with this tank compared to the one in my old Hilux where you wouldn't see any movement on the gauge for 600km's. The gauge seems to act quite linear to the usage.

Cheers
Michael

Boots
300 Club

long range fuel tanks

Post by Boots »

Yep, filled her up and DTE on the dash command app was 1148kms. Did 248 Kms, mostly hills, around 1/2 of it in low range in the bush after that for a bit over 1/4 of a tank. Loving it. This is a comparison of the old Vs new tanks, not my pic, but gives you a good idea. Image

lionheart
25 Club

Post by lionheart »

I like the idea of an aux tank where the spare fits on c/c models.

my spare is up on the tray so have a big opening there.

has anyone fitted or made a tank to suit?

Dennis
RooHunter

Post by RooHunter »

Slightly left field question, does the arb poly tank encroach on the spare wheel space? I am about to purchase a new xlt and get it kitted up - I just don't want to get new tires and find the spare no longer fits underneath with a new tank. From what I have read you can currently fit a 33" underneath with factory setup
Trolling Dirt
300 Club

Post by Trolling Dirt »

Na mate the ARB poly is still in original tank space and sits about same level as original with its bash plate on only without bash plate as they are thicker n apparently tougher.
Seen a couple now and seem to fit n work well and lighter than the steel replacement's.
Keanie
100 Club

Post by Keanie »

I have a ARB poly fuel tank.installed in Alice, was sick of jerry cans. After many dirt miles not a mark on the tank. Used to have rotamoulding machines so I know how tough it is. Does interfere with spare wheel.
RooHunter

Post by RooHunter »

Keanie - it does? How much? Any idea what tire size it limits you to?
paramidget
25 Club

Post by paramidget »

I've got 265/75/16 on stock rims with the ARB poly tank and there is no issue with the spare tyre.
RooHunter

Post by RooHunter »

Paramidget I'm looking at 285/70/17 which is an inch bigger, does yours have much room to play?
alpha1
300 Club

Post by alpha1 »

Can't see how it could interfere with the spare, the tank is in front of the diff and the spare is behind it??
Keanie
100 Club

Post by Keanie »

RooHunter wrote:Keanie - it does? How much? Any idea what tire size it limits you to?
Sorry ment to say "does NOT interfere with the spare wheel"
Cypress

Post by Cypress »

Fitted a ARB polytank a month ago and have noticed everytime I've filled up i get blow back of diesel thru the filler.I've tried differenet servos

but the only thing that works is to guess where the bowser will shut off and slow it right down. Does this happen to anyone else
Gof379842
300 Club

Post by Gof379842 »

Have you pinched/kinked the breather pipe?
You could drop the wheel well liner, disconnect the breather pipe from the filler neck, stick a piece of hose in it and try blowing in it, it should flow freely.
jrich56

Post by jrich56 »

I have ARB polytank no problems with filling very happy with it the only issue is the gauge to empty tells me i have 20 kms left but when i fill tank have 25 liter still in tank. Has anyone fixed this issue?

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Josh L

Post by Josh L »

Your distance to empty will not operate correctly unless you reprogram your vehicle to let it know you now have a 140L tank rather than an 80L tank. Do a search for SAEB PX2 build thread or similar and I believe he has had some success with this.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Josh

Ford PXII Manual Dual cab 06/2016 Sync 2
fishwenican
300 Club

Post by fishwenican »

Honestly ...you pay good $$$ to get a long range tank, there should be a fix in the cost which fixes the fuel gauge , computer. It should NOT be up to the buyer to have to put up with crap like this...honestly arb, long ranger...GET YOUR s*** TOGETHER !!!
Scotty56
300 Club

Post by Scotty56 »

fishwenican wrote:Honestly ...you pay good $$$ to get a long range tank, there should be a fix in the cost which fixes the fuel gauge , computer. It should NOT be up to the buyer to have to put up with crap like this...honestly arb, long ranger...GET YOUR poo TOGETHER !!!

Too bloody right. :twisted:
Scotty
2013 BT50
Josh L

Post by Josh L »

110% agree with that!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Josh

Ford PXII Manual Dual cab 06/2016 Sync 2
JH2016

Post by JH2016 »

Adrian wrote:Im looking at the long ranger brand of tank supplied by ARB.

Long ranger have two tank sizes 132lt and 150lt but the 150lt hangs 46mm past the chassis where the 132lt sits flush inline .
The 150lt has a leading tapper to maintain standard ramp over angle...but i wonder how it will fair in the bush.

so come on guys let me know what ya think is the better option
132lt or 150lt
I have had a LR tank split on the Tanami. With two 20lt containers of water sitting in the tub. At the time I was thinking if I had a water tank under the tub (that was leaking) and the 2 containers in the tub had diesel in it I would make it across this desert. Think about it.
stodzy79

Post by stodzy79 »

Hi guys I have a ARB tank fitted to my ranger, it was fitted by ARB, since I've had it fitted after an hour or so of driving the vehicle looses power, I've read on other forums that people have come across this and have been told the fuel cooler line doesn't receive air flow and causes the fuel to heat up??? Has anyone heard of this?, it doesn't have a problem on short trips, the tank fill"s properly so I don't think it is the breather hose
NorthernRanger
50 Club

Post by NorthernRanger »

I believe the fuel cooler was deleted long ago, my 2014 PX1 doesn't have it, although a mate with 2012 PX1 does.
Gof379842
300 Club

Post by Gof379842 »

When it looses power try partially opening the fuel cap to see if it makes a difference. If no joy drop the supply line off the fuel filter and turn the ignition on (do not start) if you do not get a gush of diesel it is the lift pump in the tank.
The breather is a about 16 mm pipe that goes over the chassis rail with the filler pipe and finishes up near the filler door. If you drop the wheel arch liner you can see where it goes and if there is a problem with it kinked or pinched.
To remove the liner take out all the scrivets including the ones at the top in the recessed holes, leave the rivets in position and pull/ twist it down and you will have access to the pipes.
rolo

Post by rolo »

It's now October 2017, some time after this original thread started. I am looking to put in the Long Ranger 140ltr tank. Any comments?
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

arb poly. shhhh dont tell anyone i swore - arb. thats a naughty word ;)
macca888
75 Club

Post by macca888 »

lincolnland wrote:arb poly. shhhh dont tell anyone i swore - arb. thats a naughty word ;)
Put my ARB Poly in a week ago. So far so good and no issues. Just filled it up today for the first time. Empty light cam on when it had 20 litres left in the tank. So that equates to approx 160klm of fuel. I am looking into getting the gauge calibrated in the next couple of months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GerryP
300 Club

Post by GerryP »

macca888 wrote:
lincolnland wrote:arb poly. shhhh dont tell anyone i swore - arb. thats a naughty word ;)
Put my ARB Poly in a week ago. So far so good and no issues. Just filled it up today for the first time. Empty light cam on when it had 20 litres left in the tank. So that equates to approx 160klm of fuel. I am looking into getting the gauge calibrated in the next couple of months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Latest version of Forscan has a checkbox to reprogram for a 140 litre tank. See Saeb's thread on here or wander over to his forum at www.saeb.net for info on what you'll need.

Cheers
Gerry
MY17 PX2 XLT Supercab
Restoring... '65 XP Falcon Futura Hardtop
Copie
200 Club

Post by Copie »

rolo wrote:It's now October 2017, some time after this original thread started. I am looking to put in the Long Ranger 140ltr tank. Any comments?
In that size I would go for the ARB poly over the steel long ranger as it’s quite heavy empty.

That being said I have the 122 L Lone Ranger simply because it does not reduce ground clearance and rollover compared to a 140L.
GerryP
300 Club

Post by GerryP »

Ive just ordered the 140 poly tank, partly because it's less than half the weight of a steel tank and also because it doesn't hang nearly as low.
Gerry
MY17 PX2 XLT Supercab
Restoring... '65 XP Falcon Futura Hardtop
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

GerryP wrote:Ive just ordered the 140 poly tank, partly because it's less than half the weight of a steel tank and also because it doesn't hang nearly as low.
what did ya pay gezza? im considering one myself