long range fuel tanks

Non Ranger Related Subjects
Chopper
300 Club

Re: long range fuel tanks

Post by Chopper »

Blindman wrote:I have had the brown Davis 145l tank for a few months now.
Every time it says it's empty it can only take about 120litres leaving approx 25 to 30 in the tank.
Has anyone run their ranger until fuel cutoff on any of these?
Any one done any modification?
Any feedback please.
I've only fueled up the brown Davis tank a couple if times.
Lowest I've gone was the DTE down to 4. I put 122 liters in.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Blindman wrote:I have had the brown Davis 145l tank for a few months now.
Every time it says it's empty it can only take about 120litres leaving approx 25 to 30 in the tank.
Has anyone run their ranger until fuel cutoff on any of these?
Any one done any modification?
Any feedback please.
Yes you can run it about 30km past zero, light comes on and says you have about 80kms to go then you go another 30km past that the car will shut itself down.
macmanluke
300 Club

Post by macmanluke »

Interesting, I fuelled mine up last weekend from about 1/3rd remaining and that was around 95L

Be really annoyed if i can only get 120L out of it.
macmanluke
300 Club

Post by macmanluke »

Been trying to run my tank low this time.

Behaviour is a little odd. DTE dropped to 75km then back to 100, then has stayed on 75 for quite a while. Same time going between 1/8 and 1/4 tank.

Will fill it in a day or 2 to see how many litres it will take.
Blindman
100 Club

Post by Blindman »

Very interested to hear how you went?
Must speak to manufacturer to see if the sender can be modified.
macmanluke
300 Club

Post by macmanluke »

got down to low 60s today then bounced back to 75 again!

guess the fuel level is dropping less than the computer expects so its recalculating.
Excouncil
300 Club

Post by Excouncil »

Guys ,
It seems there is no easy way to reconfigure the trip meter / fuel guage .
I tried lots of things and cannot get it to work .
even went down the long and or short arm on the float thing and just won't read linear .
in the end I have extra tank and filter an pump in the tub and fill the orig tank when the light comes on !
macmanluke
300 Club

Post by macmanluke »

I don't really care about the trip computer as long as the gauge reads correct.

Only thing that is annoying is dinging for 80km multiple times due to the bouncing.
das45
25 Club

Post by das45 »

I put in a 150lt tank , its really not that much lower , but if your doing real rough off road any think can happen with either tank
when my fuel light comes on if I fiil up it takes 100 lt and shows 80km till empty
and when full its shows 890 km till empty . out off full tank id get 1500 km
ira11y
300 Club

Post by ira11y »

Has anybody got photos of the sender/ pickup? Id be interested in trying to modify it, Ive done a few before and its not that hard to make an extension on most of them.
Cheers
Michael

Without quantifiable facts there are merely opinions. Opinions are like an anus, everybody's got one!
saeb
Site Admin

Post by saeb »

Maybe have a look at this pdf for the long ranger unit. They supply a longer float arm.. http://www.thelongranger.com.au/helpdes ... 8_TR73.pdf
Stewart

Ford PX2 Supercab 2015 Automatic

All donations are put back into the projects that I undertake and share with the community.

http://www.saeb.net Ranger Mods
Gunmetal
300 Club

Post by Gunmetal »

Thanks for the info saeb.

Dave.
ira11y
300 Club

Post by ira11y »

saeb wrote:Maybe have a look at this PDF for the long ranger unit. They supply a longer float arm.. http://www.thelongranger.com.au/helpdes ... 8_TR73.pdf
It seems to me from what I am reading that the float arm adjustment is not the issue, you are all complaining about the inability to use all the fuel in the tank. Looking at the PDF the issue would seem to be that the pump housing is not reaching all the way to the bottom of the tank leaving the 20 odd liters unavailable. I also don't like the way they are indicating to make the float arm lower than the pump pickup point, that could lead to a burnt out pump. This will also not help with the fuel level reading as the sender arm will hang in a space well below the final pick up point instead of reading empty with about 2cm of fuel left in the tank (see image below for clarification). Or at least enough fuel for the pump to scavenge 20-30km more fuel before sucking air.

I haven't looked in the workshop manual to confirm but I would assume the pump will sit inside a swirl-pot, any decent aftermarket tank manufacturer should not only have baffles but also replicate the swirl-pot for the pick up.

With previous issue's like this I would simply extend the pickup pipe, cables and the pump bracket on the pump housing with a custom made bracket. However if the photos are accurate then the pump housing is plastic and no longer steel, this makes it harder to safely extend the pump using a custom bracket as unlike a steel housing you cant cut and weld. The photo in the PDF has rather conveniently covered the area we would want to look at to asses if its possible to safely extend, unfortunately the image in the manual does not show enough either, anyone have a photo of one pulled out of the tank?

The real issue here is the manufacture of the long range tank itself. In order to get the most volume they tend to add a few cm's to the tank depth along with increasing length and pushing in to areas of space not used by the factory tank. Frankly the sales pitch of volume is no substitute for the real argument of usable fuel. The main issue is tank depth, they cant (or wont mostly due to warranty and legal issues) increase the length of the power cables to the pump housing, that means they are stuck with the pump at pretty much the traditional position, manufacturers don't leave much wiggle on wiring looms these days. So if you look at the drawings below the factory setup sits in a perfect location to get almost all the fuel available.

In order to get the best use of the tank you need to drop the pump back to factory scavenge height off the bottom of the tank. It is possible with plastic to make an extension but the connection will fail over time. There is another way though, that's to make an alloy bracket to cradle the whole housing, you will loose a couple of mm in scavenge height but its a better way of securing the pump than plastic welding or a substitute section riveted to the existing housing.

Of course you could also just choose a tank that has usable volume with the factory tank depth, Ive been looking at the LRA tanks, has anybody got one of those installed yet?

http://www.longrangeautomotive.com.au/i ... xr_web.pdf
Cheers
Michael

Without quantifiable facts there are merely opinions. Opinions are like an anus, everybody's got one!
ROCKET0407
300 Club

Post by ROCKET0407 »

Gotta like your last line mate, need a bit more of that ;)
Cheers :mrgreen:
Scotty56
300 Club

Post by Scotty56 »

I'm not a 100% sure but if the pump assembly is similar to other types they are spring loaded and pushed against the bottom of the tank and there is no gap, would have to pull one out to find out for sure. :!:
Scotty
2013 BT50
outwest64
50 Club

Post by outwest64 »

Scotty56 wrote:I'm not a 100% sure but if the pump assembly is similar to other types they are spring loaded and pushed against the bottom of the tank and there is no gap, would have to pull one out to find out for sure. :!:
You are correct there Scotty, pump sits on the bottom of the tank. It is a lot more compressed in the OME tank than the longranger, mine only compressed about 10mm in the longranger. If the tank was flat i would say the pump would suck out 138l of the 140, might be getting a bit of air after that.
ira11y
300 Club

Post by ira11y »

Ive never seen one spring loaded, that's clever, whats the maximum depth they go to?
Cheers
Michael

outwest64
50 Club

Post by outwest64 »

ira11y wrote:Ive never seen one spring loaded, that's clever, whats the maximum depth they go to?
The longranger tank has most likely got it at its max depth, not sure of measurement as i didn't measure it. Any deeper and the pump would be starting to move around on the bottom of the tank.
DrewXT
50 Club

Post by DrewXT »

ira11y wrote:Ive never seen one spring loaded, that's clever, whats the maximum depth they go to?
Factory compression is about 25mm, aftermarket is about 12 due to a pump locating ring in the bottom of the tank
BergDonk
100 Club

Post by BergDonk »

FWIW the Brown Davis tank retains the stock relationship of the pump to the bottom of the tank. The top of the tank is above the top of the pump. But the computer issues remain, its not as simple as it seems.
black-c
300 Club

Post by black-c »

I don't know what all you guys are complaining about. I have 132 ltr Longranger. Guages stays full for the first bit, then it starts to move and so does the DTE
I've run mine down to 20km on the DTE and filled it with 128ltrs
I can't complain about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 PX XL dual cab
2003 F150
ira11y
300 Club

Post by ira11y »

black-c wrote:I don't know what all you guys are complaining about. I have 132 ltr Longranger. Guages stays full for the first bit, then it starts to move and so does the DTE
I've run mine down to 20km on the DTE and filled it with 128ltrs
I can't complain about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those are the sort of numbers all tanks should give if set up correctly, if the bigger Longranger is not doing the same as the 132L there has to be an explanation, if the pump is still sitting at the bottom of the tank in the swirl pot then its hard to see why it would still have more than 20L in it when re-fueled?

The LRA tank is about 140L that's the same as what I have in the Hilux now so thinking its a nice in-between of the two Longranger tanks and is still enough to drive for about two weeks between re-fueling for work, there have been no complaints about short fueling about these that I have found so far, anybody got any experience with the LRA tank?
Cheers
Michael

Boots
300 Club

Post by Boots »

From my experience, around 24,000 Km worth, the DTE is just a prediction and tends to err on the safe side. This weekend, I did a trip into the hills. Filled up before I left, DTE around 770 Km. Did some serious off road stuff and averaged 15.5 l per 100. Got back onto the bitumen, reset my average l per 100 and my average speed, did roughly another 70 km where I averaged 10.4 l per hundred and around 80 Kph. Filled up and DTE was only around 660. So regardless of whether or not you reset your stats, the on board computer must be retaining some history there somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ranger PX dual cab
Honda VTR 1000
OnTheRanger
25 Club

Post by OnTheRanger »

Anyone fitted the new ARB 140l poly tank. I've been told its a direct replacement with no sender modifications, that have to happen with current steel lone ranger tanks?
tofski

Post by tofski »

Got a poly tank sizing on the floor in the garage ,apparently they fit series 1 and 2. Compared to a steel tank you can pick it up and carry it with one hand and does not sit any lower than a standard tank .Going to fit it when I get a chance and I'll post my option
Boots
300 Club

Post by Boots »

Tofski, looking forward to hearing your review.

Ranger PX dual cab
Honda VTR 1000
OnTheRanger
25 Club

Post by OnTheRanger »

Tofski, is that poly the new ARB one? Send picks when installed as they mentioned doesn't drop lower that chassis rails and they also mentioned that under tank guard not required as 6-8mm.
saeb
Site Admin

Re: long range fuel tank

Post by saeb »

OnTheRanger wrote:Tofski, is that poly the new ARB one? Send picks when installed as they mentioned doesn't drop lower that chassis rails and they also mentioned that under tank guard not required as 6-8mm.
I rang ARB today and they had a PX sitting out the front with their poly tank in. The salesman walked outside with a tape and messured how far below the chassis rail it sits and its 20mm lower and not flush with the chassis. It still sat higher than the ARB side steps though. Original under tank guard will not fit but with 10mm poly it should not be a problem.

Quoted price from head office supplied only is $990.00 and they order them from the manufacturer in SA. Time frame for delivery after ordering is approx 2 weeks.

He also advised it will fit PX and PXII and they are strong enough to hold a cars weight on top of them. I won't say how strong he said they are but use your imagination.

As soon as my PXII arrives I will be ordering one..
Stewart

All donations are put back into the projects that I undertake and share with the community.

tofski

Post by tofski »

I got mine from a mob in wa. They originally supplied me one from autox.com.au but it was the wrong tank(colorado)with autox.com.au on it.Since then arb has brought them out what i was told .Now they sent me a new one which now has a arb sticker on it .I was told it was not going to sit any lower than the rails .Maybe arb changed the design . Either way there is a video online on autox website of a bloke trying to break one
Tim79
25 Club

Post by Tim79 »

I just order one of the poly tanks from Arb in Capalaba and there on backorder til January- February next year.
OnTheRanger
25 Club

Post by OnTheRanger »

Thanks tofski,
Thats interesting about autox as I investigated them a while back but wasn't sure and was informed that around 10-15litres was left in the thin part and base of autox tank. Also lower than chassis rail is also mixed info as informed not the case from ARB. I guess the last question to confirm does sender drop straight in without requiring adjustments.

Appreciate any forum feedback.
saeb
Site Admin

Post by saeb »

OnTheRanger wrote:Thanks tofski,
Thats interesting about autox as I investigated them a while back but wasn't sure and was informed that around 10-15litres was left in the thin part and base of autox tank. Also lower than chassis rail is also mixed info as informed not the case from ARB. I guess the last question to confirm does sender drop straight in without requiring adjustments.

Appreciate any forum feedback.
I would be pretty sure it's lower. As I said above the ARB rep at head office walked out with the cordless phone and measured how far it hung down on their own PXII ranger while I was still talking to him.
Stewart

tofski

Post by tofski »

Got around to fitting the tank .OK job just the rear bracket a bit hard to fit in with the new tank in place. It does sit lower than rail by about an inch . OK for touring but would not be happy going really extreme 4wd tracks. Then again a pointy rock would do some damage even if the tank was higher than the rail or not.
Attachments
20151127_151830-320x180.jpg
20151127_151830-320x180.jpg (13.04 KiB) Viewed 50109 times
20151127_151842-320x180.jpg
20151127_151842-320x180.jpg (19.24 KiB) Viewed 50109 times
20151127_151851-320x180.jpg
20151127_151851-320x180.jpg (17.09 KiB) Viewed 50109 times
20151127_142808-320x180.jpg
20151127_142808-320x180.jpg (19.1 KiB) Viewed 50109 times
ira11y
300 Club

Post by ira11y »

tofski wrote:I Either way there is a video online on autox website of a bloke trying to break one
I watched the vid last night, it would be more impressive if he hit it from the front end with a smaller strike point than a big fat sledgie to see if that did something close to real world damage.

So what are your impressions so far tofski? This tank is on my narrow down list, would be good to hear some real world experience on the amount of fuel available.
Cheers
Michael

tofski

Post by tofski »

The arb tank fit around 132L from empty when first fitted but haven't ran it till dry yet. The pump assembly went all the way to the bottom so most should be usable.
ira11y
300 Club

Post by ira11y »

tofski wrote:The arb tank fit around 132L from empty when first fitted but haven't ran it till dry yet. The pump assembly went all the way to the bottom so most should be usable.
Sounds good, Saeb just ordered his one, think ill order mine after Xmas when work dies down a bit. Be good if you could do a run dry test while the tank is still clean so we know exactly what volumes it will go to.
Cheers
Michael

saeb
Site Admin

Post by saeb »

tofski wrote:The arb tank fit around 132L from empty when first fitted but haven't ran it till dry yet. The pump assembly went all the way to the bottom so most should be usable.
How are you going fuel wise, have you had a chance to do a refill? How many litres? Will gauge from your response if I will modify float arm before I fit mine.
Stewart

tofski

Post by tofski »

The float arm was modified (bent down a little ) as per instructions . Got it down to just under a 1/4 and fit 105L.
Don't want to run it dry yet . Doubt all fuel will be usable , probably about 120-125 L will be usable till it runs dry .
Boots
300 Club

Post by Boots »

Hey tofski, I'm looking at one of the ARB poly tanks as well. What does your trip computer do? Do they recalibrate the fuel capacity in the computer or does it go into negative mode once you have used your standard 80 litres?

Ranger PX dual cab
Honda VTR 1000
lionheart
25 Club

Post by lionheart »

An interesting point on longrange tanks.
I was looking at my ranger and noticed it seemed to leaning a little to the left....it had full tank of fuel...80ltrs.
I got the tape out and measured to same point on each side and sure enough it was leaning to the left....by about 25mm...
When my tank was almost empty I measured it again and it had lifted by nearly 20mm....almost level.
Just interested to know if one of you guys with 140 ltr tanks may want to measure your vehicle height on both sides to see how much difference there is full to empty.