under body protection

Non Ranger Related Subjects
robdinsdale

under body protection

Post by robdinsdale »

hey not sure if this has been mentioned before but doe any one else have any problems when driving through sand/mud any real dirt, the front stock under body gaurd sorta acts like a scoop and just forces sand and mud up under the car, wich it sorta bakes to the bottom cause of the heat(if not cleaned properly)
so my question is do you think a after market protection will help?[*][*][*][*]
macmanluke
300 Club

Re: under body protection

Post by macmanluke »

Iv just put on a Buds customs sump guard, its smooth which is a plus and worth it just for the protection of the otherwise exposed front diff.

Also ordered a bush skinz front bash plate, which is also mostly smooth. (buds dont do a front or else i would have gone with that.)
Excouncil

Post by Excouncil »

Check out ARB ,
They have a three piece set up ,
from bull bar to trans , it looks the goods .
ATC
300 Club

Post by ATC »

TJM also do a full set front to transfer case.
macmanluke
300 Club

Post by macmanluke »

bushskinz set is pretty good value

TJM tuff looks slightly weaker than the rest, ARB is dear.
fishwenican

Post by fishwenican »

I have the standard stuff and find there is NOproblem. It does a great job. Have no issues in sand, mud, snow. It is easy to clean if needed. No worse than any after market...
macmanluke
300 Club

Post by macmanluke »

Ill show you a picture of what the standard stuff does when you touch a boulder :)

Stock sump guard does not cover the front diff either.
zacsbee89
200 Club

Post by zacsbee89 »

I'll get a pic tomorrow of what no front diff protection does!
fishwenican

Post by fishwenican »

Well you must indeed be punishing your car.
I have had mine in some reasonably hard offroad places and the standard stuff has held up just fine.
macmanluke
300 Club

Post by macmanluke »

was fine till dropped on a rock :) replacements would barely deflect under same circumstance.
robdinsdale

Post by robdinsdale »

macmanluke wrote:bushskinz set is pretty good value

TJM tuff looks slightly weaker than the rest, ARB is dear.

yeah i have looked at all arb range just seems real exspensive for what it is ?
like i had arb deluxe bar fitted to my car but they %#$@& me around alot so im not really that impressed on using them again..
butchp

Post by butchp »

Just looked under the supercab with auto and see the gear selector cable looks vulnerable. Cheers Butch.
zuno555

Post by zuno555 »

Just bought and installed the ARB under vehicle protection today. Much cheaper than the tjm kit, the quality is awesome, there is 35kgs of steel in it, seems very strong. Instructions were good and clear, all bolt holes lined up perfectly.

I looked at a few other sets, usually around the $300 mark just for front and maybe sump guard. So for RRP $569 including a very strong transmission guard and tcase guard I think its pretty good value, especially if you ask for a few $$ off and get it cheaper. I didn't get the recovery point, that did seem pretty pricey but again they are super strong and well made. I might get that down the track.

Like butch said, under the car there are lots of vulnerable looking bits, much more so than older simpler cars.

Rocky river crossings, rocky tracks etc just one into the diff etc could ruin your trip and cost a lot more in recovery and repair. I think of it as insurance.

trentski
300 Club

Post by trentski »

looks good but you'll hate hooking a snatch strap up to that recover point
zuno555

Post by zuno555 »

Yeah, I think I would hook something up to it before hitting an obstacle that was questionable, bog hole etc. As bull bars don't generally have snatching points there isn't too many options. The two bullbars I am looking at, MCC Falcon or ARB Sahara don't have rated points....

Lying down in mud to hook something up to that point would suck.
Ridgie

Post by Ridgie »

Some good info on the ARB plates. I priced the TJM stuff and was shocked - but the ARB price seems okay. The plates I have on my Navara have saved a lot of potential damage to the important under body bits.
Thirsty

Post by Thirsty »

zuno555 wrote:Yeah, I think I would hook something up to it before hitting an obstacle that was questionable, bog hole etc. As bull bars don't generally have snatching points there isn't too many options. The two bullbars I am looking at, MCC Falcon or ARB Sahara don't have rated points....

Lying down in mud to hook something up to that point would suck.
Another plus of the TJM Bullbar. ARB bullbars have the winch bolted directly into the back of the face of the bar. TJM have a winch cradle bolted to the chassis, and winch if installed sits flat on the cradle, directly connected to the chassis.
Extended off the bottom of the sideplates of the cradle is a pair of rated recover points, and the bullbar mounts to the cradle as well, with recovery points sticking out underneath the front of the bar. Its the reason TJM bar sits closer too, with the winch mounted on the cradle instead of hanging off the back of the bar and having to clear the front of chassis rails.
wdw
300 Club

Post by wdw »

Zuno, shouldnt the front bash plate overlap the rear one as it my scoop more stuff or presents a lip for something to get stuck on. Can you mount the rear plate first then the front one over that. Still looks good.
macmanluke
300 Club

Post by macmanluke »

Looks like they just but up against each other.

Thing i don't like about ARB and TJM plates is they sacrifice ground clearance for there complicated setups.

I have a 4mm buds customs sump bash plate and bush skinz 4mm front bash plate and they are significantly more compact
zuno555

Post by zuno555 »

The whole set up is pretty smooth, no lips or anything to scoop or snag on rocks etc. Might be hard to tell that from the photos but in person there isn't really too many faults at all. The tcase guard actually bolts to the tcase itself, not the chassis, so that is probably the weakest of the guards in that sense, but its only on there to protect the big solenoid or whatever it is at the rear, and its much higher than the tranny etc so its pretty safe tucked up there.

The lowest point on the whole car is still the rear diff, with 250mm of clearance with 33" tyres at road pressures. At offroad pressures it would be much lower. Only way to get them higher is bigger wheels, 35" tyres = 1" higher........
The lowest point at the front is 295mm, so really the front is the least of your problems.

Overall, the ARB design of the front sump guard sacrifices about 20mm, ie, 20mm lower than the front crossmember. BUT, after just checking, there should be enough room to allow for a 1" diff drop, so that is a plus.

The massive transmission guard could possibly be higher, but as its already much higher than the diff/sump/front crossmember its really a non issue. Also, it does not affect the ramp over angle, as its way in front of the mid point of the wheelbase.

Lots of words and blah blah, but overall my point is they are pretty well designed and pretty strong, so I am happy with them, and the price for the whole lot is reasonable I think.

Also, I was considering the TJM T13, I like it, checked out the specs again after posting above, yes it has recovery points, the least "stick out" from the front bumper, I think that's a winner of a bar overall. Hmmmmmmm. Decisions..

PS In the first pic showing the layout on the ground, I have the transmission guard the wrong way and upside down too :)
Ridgie

Post by Ridgie »

eveyoz

Post by eveyoz »

Nice arb protection, is it just bolt on? Could anyone fit it?

I have the ARB bullbar.

:)
harps

under body protection

Post by harps »

eveyoz wrote:Nice arb protection, is it just bolt on? Could anyone fit it?

I have the ARB bullbar.

:)

Arb bash plates are easy to fit only problem is some of the holes don't line up, easily fixed with a die grinder lol

I have no faith in there transfer bash plate it has four bolts that attach directly to the transfer case I reckon with a decent hit it would break the alloy case. In saying that it is fairly high so you would more than likely have other problems

We are making some at work should be finished soon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Tuff

Post by Tuff »

Ridgie wrote:Anyone got the Brown Davis plates?

http://www.browndavis.com.au/ford-range ... derguards/
Certainly am. Both front and rear plates. It has vents in the front to let air though up front, but they don't fill up with mud like the OEM ones. Trust me I have tried ;) If you would like to see some photos I will take some for you tonight.
macmanluke wrote:st put on a Buds customs sump guard, its smooth which is a plus and worth it just for the protection of the otherwise exposed front diff.
Got a photo mate?
macmanluke
300 Club

Post by macmanluke »

Here you go:

When i get a chance I'm going to paint them satin black.
Tuff

Post by Tuff »

Looks good. Yeah, some black paint will clean it up nicely! The paint probably wont stay on there very long though? haha
macmanluke
300 Club

Post by macmanluke »

probably not lol but at least it will be easy to touch up.
South

Post by South »

Does the ARB transmission section require the sump section, or can it be bolted on separately?
coilylux

Post by coilylux »

ive got the full set.
being the the front plate back to the transfer
harps

Post by harps »

South wrote:Does the ARB transmission section require the sump section, or can it be bolted on separately?
It bolts onto the sump section

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
South

Post by South »

well that's a bit average!

Looks like the TJM version will get the nod... I just want protection from stray branches thumping on the pan.
eveyoz

Post by eveyoz »

Zunos holes lined up, I think I'll take a punt and ask Santa for a set for Xmas
speedjunkey33

Post by speedjunkey33 »

Here are some shots of the three piece Ironman kit I fitted, Good quality, very robust and well designed.
Attachments
6_web.jpg
7_web.jpg
Uav

Post by Uav »

Tuff wrote:

Certainly am. Both front and rear plates. It has vents in the front to let air though up front, but they don't fill up with mud like the OEM ones. Trust me I have tried ;) If you would like to see some photos I will take some for you tonight.
macmanluke wrote:st put on a Buds customs sump guard, its smooth which is a plus and worth it just for the protection of the otherwise exposed front diff.
Got a photo mate?
How much did these guards set you back mate? And how are they holding up?
Fondles
300 Club

Post by Fondles »

speedjunkey33 wrote:Here are some shots of the three piece Ironman kit I fitted, Good quality, very robust and well designed.

How much is the ironman kit ?

Looks identical (except the ironman 4x4 laser cut into it) as the ones we buy from Russia.
My rides;
2020 Ranger XL+ Hi-Rider.
2014 D40 Navara.
2017 Honda Click 125i (Scooter).
2018 Yamaha XSR 900.
ATC
300 Club

Post by ATC »

Fondles wrote:
speedjunkey33 wrote:Here are some shots of the three piece Ironman kit I fitted, Good quality, very robust and well designed.

Looks identical (except the ironman 4x4 laser cut into it) as the ones we buy from Russia.
Here is an online shop that sells the Ironman underbody kit for PX Ranger from $426 depending on what state your in in Australia.
tinofgold

Post by tinofgold »

Does the ironman kit still allow for the use of the factory tow/ recovery point?
Fondles
300 Club

Post by Fondles »

ATC wrote:
Fondles wrote:

Here is an online shop that sells the Ironman underbody kit for PX Ranger from $426 depending on what state your in in Australia.
Holy s***, if it the same as we buy from Russia and from the pics it is that one hefty mark up !!!
My rides;
2020 Ranger XL+ Hi-Rider.
2014 D40 Navara.
2017 Honda Click 125i (Scooter).
2018 Yamaha XSR 900.
Theserbian1

Post by Theserbian1 »

Ye buddy, 90% of the places here in Australia, buy from overseas cheap, and sell to Australian public with 5x 6x or more mark up..!

In most cases is just greediness, and desire to get rich fast..!
Thats why most people go for ebay or other sources, to buy things.
:-)
def90

Post by def90 »

From memory the ironman is about 2.6mm, not really thick enough for a 'bash plate'