Feed back required. People with PX I and II autos

Non Ranger Related Subjects
dingo dan

Feed back required. People with PX I and II autos

Post by dingo dan »

I have just bought a new PX II XLT auto, upgraded from a PX I XLT auto. I am interested in other peoples thoughts. I find the new PX II to be noisier in the engine and harsher sounding, also the shift pattern in the auto is down right terrible. When loaded up, the old PX I would just hunker down and the torque would pull you through. The new one drops back a gear makes lots of noise and and eventually pulls you through.

I loved the old one, the whole drive train worked well, smooth and without fuss. I was looking forward to the new, but have been very disappointed. I don't know if its just my ute or they are all like this.

The rest of the ute is great.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Dan
rangetrak

Re: Feed back required. People with PX I and II autos

Post by rangetrak »

I find the new one to be more quiter sonce they insulated the cabin to make it quiter. Maybe because it was a brandnew car and needed to be worn in abit. I found the old one to be more noisier
bignic
300 Club

Post by bignic »

How long have you had the MK II? The 6R80 Auto has adaptive shift learning so will need time to "learn" your driving style and will no doubt feel different to your old vehicle until it has a few km's under it's belt.
Trublu

Post by Trublu »

I agree with bignic comment, My auto this week has just had a new solenoid valve body fitted & is in the process of relearning, it feels completely different atm but I'm sure it will come good eventually. ;)
D-ranged
300 Club

Post by D-ranged »

Dan, I've got less than 100k on the clock, but I'm loving the auto in my PXII. I think that you might have a problem, which is good, as Ford should be able to fix it for you - unless they pull out their old chestniut of it being "a characteristic of the model" tripe.... :(
I hope it works out for you.
dingo dan

Post by dingo dan »

Thanks for the feedback so far. I've done 1200 ks and I tow about 3 tons regularly. I am trying to drive another new PX so that I can compare the noise. It almost sounds like they have left the insulation out. I hope it wasn't a Monday build. At the moment I still have my old PX I so I can do direct comparisons.

One of the problems with the shift is if you a climbing a steep hill at a moderate pace, when it shifts into 3rd, the ute dies in the ass and will slow down unless you put your foot to the floor
Trublu

Post by Trublu »

I think it is time for you to take it back to ford.
Trolling Dirt
300 Club

Post by Trolling Dirt »

Hehehe they didn't slip you a petrol did they ? As that's what they do kick back lots of gears and then think about giving some ooomph , hopefully it's still just the computer trying to learn your style of right foot usage. Like above if it's really that bad take it in for them to look at or give it another couple weeks till you hit the 3k service and see how it goes.
Unkle Ed

Post by Unkle Ed »

The engine noise between mkI and mkII is noticeably different, It isn't any louder, if anything it's quieter but the the engine sound is more deeper/lower/tougher sounding than the previous model. The auto in the mkII feels a hell of a lot more smoother and precise to me, my mkI would always hesitate or sit there and think about when it would take off or shift, down shifting under acceleration was scary on the highway because every time it would smash itself back into 2nd or 3rd rather violently. mkII auto there is none of that, you accelerate and it moves instantly and shifting is silky smooth, don't even feel the shifts and power is constant.

With towing (1200kg horse float + horse and a 7x5 box trailer getting landscaping material) I've noticed so far you have to push the throttle a bit more than with the previous one, maybe even with normal driving that is the case also, but I haven't experienced any power loss or being in the wrong gear etc up hills so far. If anything to me mine feels like it pulls up hills more effortlessly.

Even though power and torque are pretty much the same with the engine and the auto is the same box I think Ford have spent some time developing the power train even further, it's all the same bits as a mkI but it definitely doesn't feel, respond or sound anything like the previous model.
Trublu

Post by Trublu »

Unkle Ed wrote: my mkI would always hesitate or sit there and think about when it would take off or shift, down shifting under acceleration was scary on the highway because every time it would smash itself back into 2nd or 3rd rather violently.
Never experienced your problem with my 2012 XLT auto, always smooth changing gears, only problems that showed was when I had a faulty lead harness where my auto would not kick back a gear when towing up hill & just recently when when changing from 2nd to 3rd gear it would slightly thump caused by sticking solenoid, both times repaired under warranty.
I have found the auto very good as one should be, nevertheless your comment is the same as some other comments I've heard on the forums.
U tryd

Post by U tryd »

I think my px11 has more engine noise but it is definitely quieter all round. Maybe because the whole car is quieter the engine seems louder? I didn't like the way the auto operated when I first got it compared to the mk1 but now I love it.
silverbullit

Post by silverbullit »

I have been off the forum for a while until last week when my 2012 XLT auto developed a transmission issue. I am assuming a 2012 build date (46000km) is a Mk I? Could some one confirm please.
I have mostly found the auto pretty smooth. The way it lags when you go from D to R & visa versa is annoying, anyone else found that problem? It does at times clunk/thud back into gear after say, rolling down a hill the putting your foot down again? Again, anyone else find that?
Anyway, last week I took off from a set of lights & the gear appeared to be stuck in 2/3rd. i looked down to see if i was in sport mode then noticed the drivetrain warning light was on. The transmission gave an almighty thud then felt like it had no/reduced power. I was just down the road & got home. I got it towed to Ford & they said it needed 2 x PMC (I think?) update. It appears to be thudding/clunking with a little more regularity than before "the incident" :? Anyone else had a similar experience?
Anyway, I intend to ring Ford today & tell them that I believe it is not performing as before.
dingodan

Post by dingodan »

I just had the ute back for its 3000 k check up (at 4000 ks). The dealer was very good. They couldn't find anything wrong ( I didn't think they would). But he lodged some form with ford to let them know . If they get enough comments about this then maybe it might be a programming issue that could be addressed. It's not bad, it's just not as good as the old one.
Apparently ford has put a new torque converter in the Px II and that's why it behaves differently.
poita
50 Club

Post by poita »

I have noticed one thing my PX1 Auto has been doing, cruising at either 80 or 100klm the gearbox would thump or shudder like it was dropping into top gear. I found this strange since i had been in top gear for sometime. It has done it twice once at 80klm & once on the highway cruising at 100klm? It is just about due for it's 3000klm service and I'm hoping FOMOCO will have a update or patch for the gearbox computer?
2015 MK1 XLS D/C RANGER
Cool White
3.2 6 speed auto.
400Bronco

Post by 400Bronco »

Mine a PX1 '15 Ranger with 15K's has just started to have the occassional hissy fit between the 80-90Kph while very steadily increasing speed, I feels like it's not sure what gear to go into then thumps in hard.
Since then the car has also developed a mild high speed vibration between 55-60Kph in any gear, a bit annoying but I can't find a reason for this, I've tried raising and lowering the centre bearing adjustment that was fitted by ARB with the 2" 600Kg lift and stock tyres with no luck, not sure and wouldn't think an Auto can vibrate.
'15 XLT Extra cab
D-ranged
300 Club

Post by D-ranged »

My PXII will occasionally produce a 'clunk/thump' when I come up to speed (normally between 70 & 90), then back off once I set the cruise control. Mine was in for the 3K service today and during a test drive with the head mechanic, the clunk didn't happen (of course). Such is the way of intermittent faults, although at least it has been reported to the dealer & Ford. In my PX I, I would occasionally get a clunk at slow speeds in heavy traffic, but none in the 'II' (so far) under the same circumstances. :roll:

Still lovin' my PXII.
Gof379842
300 Club

Post by Gof379842 »

400Bronco wrote:Mine a PX1 '15 Ranger with 15K's has just started to have the occassional hissy fit between the 80-90Kph while very steadily increasing speed, I feels like it's not sure what gear to go into then thumps in hard.
Since then the car has also developed a mild high speed vibration between 55-60Kph in any gear, a bit annoying but I can't find a reason for this, I've tried raising and lowering the centre bearing adjustment that was fitted by ARB with the 2" 600Kg lift and stock tyres with no luck, not sure and wouldn't think an Auto can vibrate.
I have heard of the harmonic balancer (the big round silver thing on the tailshaft) getting rocks/mud/dirt in it and causing vibrations.
The fix is a good clean out with a high pressure hose.
Dun Wurkun
300 Club

Post by Dun Wurkun »

My 2012 PX XLT has an intermittant loss of power when towing in cruise control and in sports mode
This has been happening for 3 years now and been to many dealers but none have fixed it
Now that it is out of warranty Ford want me to prove there is a fault and they may reimburse me for my costs to date
If you have a recorded problem make sure it is fixed before warranty run out
Not happy Jan
Ken
baxtc1
200 Club

Post by baxtc1 »

You are very patient, personally I do not want to be in possession of my Ranger outside of warranty.
PX, 2.2, 6 speed crunch box.
butch.
300 Club

Post by butch. »

baxtc1 wrote:You are very patient, personally I do not want to be in possession of my Ranger outside of warranty.
Dito every make. :) if that's how you feel.
Cheers, Butch.
Normalbloke
100 Club

Post by Normalbloke »

butch. wrote:
baxtc1 wrote:You are very patient, personally I do not want to be in possession of my Ranger outside of warranty.
Dito every make. :) if that's how you feel.
Cheers, Butch.
We are in the same mindset here in the UK. We like the truck, but it's built cheaply and down to a price(3.2 Wildtrak manual). We don not want it the minute it's out of warranty.As you correctly say, not many manufacturers are immune from it either. We've chosen to lease. We've done the sums many times. Factor in depreciation,post warranty liability etc etc etc and fixed cost leasing works for us. After three years we'll give it back to Ford, either collect another one or whatever else floats our boat at the time.
400Bronco

Post by 400Bronco »

Gof379842 wrote:
400Bronco wrote:Mine a PX1 '15 Ranger with 15K's has just started to have the occassional hissy fit between the 80-90Kph while very steadily increasing speed, I feels like it's not sure what gear to go into then thumps in hard.
I have heard of the harmonic balancer (the big round silver thing on the tailshaft) getting rocks/mud/dirt in it and causing vibrations.
Cheers Gof379842 thanks for the advice, mine's all spotless, I just received in the mail some 2deg wedges so I'll give that a go.
'15 XLT Extra cab
dingo dan

Post by dingo dan »

I had a bad clunking when the transmission changed from 1st to 2nd when it was cold. On my px I. Ford changed the solinoid pack and this fixed the problem. Suprise, suprise. Ford did it under warranty at 3 1/2 years and 90000 ks. Didn't cost me a cent. I would have changed my ute when it ran out of warranty, but the new pxII was not released yet and i didn't want to spend the money and get the same thing
Dun Wurkun
300 Club

Post by Dun Wurkun »

Its alright if you have plenty of money, as mine is now worth $25000 as a trade in with all the goodies
New change over price on XLT was $28000, no bullbar, no canopy, no brake controller etc
No way
Ken
400Bronco

Post by 400Bronco »

400Bronco wrote:
Gof379842 wrote:
Cheers Gof379842 thanks for the advice, mine's all spotless, I just received in the mail some 2deg wedges so I'll give that a go.
Fitted the wedges and the vibration is gone, there was also a slight shudder when taking off and it's also gone, very happy. Sorry for the hijack but I can now concentrate on the Auto, so far there has been no hissy fits, smooth as.
'15 XLT Extra cab
qldfisho

Post by qldfisho »

Hi 400bronco,

Who did you get the wedges from and do you have a lift at all?

Cheers Glen.
400Bronco

Post by 400Bronco »

Hey Glen, got the wedges from SnakeRacing and yes a 2" lift rated for 600Kg constant load. I only have about 250kg in the back at the moment and it's riding very smooth, just a little elevated, only by 25mm compared to fully loaded with 550Kg in the back.
'15 XLT Extra cab
qldfisho

Post by qldfisho »

400Bronco wrote:Hey Glen, got the wedges from SnakeRacing and yes a 2" lift rated for 600Kg constant load. I only have about 250kg in the back at the moment and it's riding very smooth, just a little elevated, only by 25mm compared to fully loaded with 550Kg in the back.
Hi 400Bronco,

What lift do you have installed?

Cheers Glen.
400Bronco

Post by 400Bronco »

qldfisho wrote:
400Bronco wrote:Hey Glen, got the wedges from SnakeRacing and yes a 2" lift rated for 600Kg constant load. I only have about 250kg in the back at the moment and it's riding very smooth, just a little elevated, only by 25mm compared to fully loaded with 550Kg in the back.
Hi 400Bronco,

What lift do you have installed?

Cheers Glen.
ARB OME
'15 XLT Extra cab
Jfd2015

Post by Jfd2015 »

D-ranged wrote:My PXII will occasionally produce a 'clunk/thump' when I come up to speed (normally between 70 & 90), then back off once I set the cruise control. Mine was in for the 3K service today and during a test drive with the head mechanic, the clunk didn't happen (of course). Such is the way of intermittent faults, although at least it has been reported to the dealer & Ford. In my PX I, I would occasionally get a clunk at slow speeds in heavy traffic, but none in the 'II' (so far) under the same circumstances. :roll:

Still lovin' my PXII.
I have the same heavy clunk at the same speed with my PX2 went in for the 3k service yesterday the auto was 700mm low in oil hopfuly that fixes the issue
D-ranged
300 Club

Post by D-ranged »

Thanks for your post Jfd2015.

I will bounce it off the dealer, Cheers.
butch.
300 Club

Post by butch. »

My px 1 auto has never been what I call good, dont get me wrong it hasn't buggered up. I have owned a variety of auto trans vehicles and even the 70s 3 speed "slush box" in the valiant was smother. The auto in our S60 is bliss compared to the Ranger and its older and done more ks. :roll:
Cheers, Butch.
Boots
300 Club

Post by Boots »

Hey Butch, don't just tell us, tell your dealer. Take him for a drive in a demo model, then yours. If I don't really stick the boot into it, my auto shifts are smoothie as. If it wasn't for watching the Tachometer, I wouldn't know it was changing gear half the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ranger PX dual cab
Honda VTR 1000
johna56
50 Club

Post by johna56 »

Picked up the new Wildtrak yesterday and ran up 568 klms today and auto worked like a dream. Couldn't tell what gear it was in unless selecting Sports mode to check. Smooth as.
Will probably have another 1000klms on tomorrow as leaving early. Will have it run in over a week or so..
billygoat

Post by billygoat »

400Bronco wrote:
Gof379842 wrote:
Welcome to the world of suspension lifts and transmission vibration. I think you will be on a winner with the wedges. I think playing about with centre bearings etc. is not the logical way to go. Using wedges to change the diff angle keeps the rest of the transmission train original.
pestie

Post by pestie »

I have a pxll auto , although I find the auto smooth when it changes but it is a bit erratic in picking the gears it wants . also when cold , as I pull out of the driveway sometimes it seems to stall , with no throttle response for 1sec then gets this loud thump (not good for the diff) I took it to the ford dealer and left it there for 2 days but it would not do the same thing for the head mechanic . But he did connect there computer to it and changed some settings and it has not made the thump noise since .
Thes symtoms seemed like low oil , after all the transmission is like a big hydraulic pump ,but they did check the oil which was ok .
MrRanger82

Post by MrRanger82 »

dingo dan wrote:I had a bad clunking when the transmission changed from 1st to 2nd when it was cold. On my px I. Ford changed the solinoid pack and this fixed the problem. Suprise, suprise. Ford did it under warranty at 3 1/2 years and 90000 ks. Didn't cost me a cent. I would have changed my ute when it ran out of warranty, but the new pxII was not released yet and i didn't want to spend the money and get the same thing
I have just noticed a problem over the weekend on my PXI. A damp spot under the transmission Image
after closer inspection the cross member is completely covered in Transmission fluid and appears to be coming from the rear of the pan.
ImageImageImage

On top of this I have been experiencing some very much like 'Dingo Dan' prior to noticing this leak.

So I figure if the dealer is going to remove the pan and drop all the expensive fluid, I'll get them to put a new solinoid pack in too.

I gave the local service centre a call who advised they can definitely take a look at the leak for me, so I went on to mentioned I also want the solinoid pack replaced, in which they replied "In the transmission?" which I replied "yes", they went on to say don't normally tinker around inside. I mentioned quite a few owners have experienced a similar issue in which it was resolved by replacing the solinoid pack. I did end up booking it in for next Wednesday. What do you guys think? Should I reach to Dingo Dan and get a record record of his fix for the dealer (the repair will be out of warranty)?

Zeb

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
Gof379842
300 Club

Post by Gof379842 »

Check to make sure the breather on top of the box is in position and has not been knocked off alowing the oil fumes/spray out over the box.
MrRanger82

Post by MrRanger82 »

Gof379842 wrote:Check to make sure the breather on top of the box is in position and has not been knocked off alowing the oil fumes/spray out over the box.
Thank you for the suggestion Gof, after a visit to the dealer they were able to trace the leak back to a split diesel return line. I apparently been leaking diesel since I inherited the car late last year. They ended up replacing the hose, gave it a wash down and found no more leaks which is great. As for the I described and played a recording of, they said was the egr. They mentioned it was a common issue with the 2.2's. After some more reading and my first common rail diesel a Man Hummel catch can has now been added to my very long mod list ranked as #1.

Zeb

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
Yarrum1961

Post by Yarrum1961 »

D-ranged wrote:Thanks for your post Jfd2015.

I will bounce it off the dealer, Cheers.
Please feel free to bounce this story as Ford has bounced me all over the park and as such will never do business with them ever again, Ford just lost a 6 unit fleet purchase by not telling the truth to me, Had to find out for myself. Anyway even if it doesn't make a difference I am putting this out there as all birds come back to roost:

Don't get me wrong, I still love my 2014 Ford Ranger PX2 "BUT" I hate Ford Australia and everything they DONT stand for.
So let’s get that clear from the get go!
All the details that follow are fact, NOT hear-say
Ford Ranger Dec PX2 / 2014 / 3.2 /6 speed manual issues from NEW that every Ranger owner should know about.
1500 K’s gear shift mounting bolt came loose and lost all gears/ flat tray to Ford Geebung for correction.
The issue was an alert to ALL ford service departments and in most cases, was not acted upon.

10,000 K’s a front input shaft bearing rumble in neutral with foot off the clutch, Engauge clutch and all is silent.
Cause: Input shaft bearing failure (Cheap Chinese bearing factory)

Warranty remove gearbox and replace front input shaft, (CHEAP CHINEESE BEARINGS SUPPLIED BY FORD AUSTRALIA) and refitted.

20,000 K’s rear main seal leak on engine / service and main seal replacement (gearbox was removed to fix rear main seal leak)

20,100 K’s engine stop on Gateway bridge because gearbox wiring harness was not mounted back as factory and melted against exhaust. (short circuit)
Owner (Me) removed wiring from exhaust and back on the road with a visit to Ford Geebung to report the issue and arranged for next service to recheck wiring and correct.

21,000 K’s Flat tray recovery M1 to Gold Coast Ford in Ashmore to AGAIN tighten & lock tight gear selection bolt because Ford Geebung couldn’t be bothered the time.
Ford service at Geebung again performed due service along with yet another rear seal replacement 1000K’s after the last. Also CRUSHED wiring harness between motor & gear box.
Ford would not accept the problem of not starting was one of there causing, I chose to remove the vehicle with a NO confidence vote with Ford Geebung.

Flat trade out and fixed independently by (A diesel tuning fertility) within 5 hours and photos presented to Ford Bilson Rd Geebung, they still would not accept the POOR WORKMENSHIP.

This is where everything gets done to stuff over the owner, (ME) the owner has had a ECU re-map to improve fuel mileage because FORD made false claims of the PX2 performance.

When Ford Geebung removed & replaced the rear main seal for the (2ND) second time in 1000K’s they CRUSHED the wiring harness BETWEEN the motor and gearbox bell housing causing a short circuit.
Told me I was up for a $4000.00 repair bill because I had had a remap AND THE ecu WAS AT FAULT.
(TOSSERS)
POOR WORKMENSHIP.
(STILL RUNNING THE VERY SAME ECU@ 92,455K's ) They still say it was the fault while there lololol (Trained Technicians) NOT TRADESMEN did an unacceptable job and caused after service issues.
There a joke
I accepted all cost of flat tray and labor for a repair that THEY didn’t know how (or) couldn’t do.
Not only that Ford Geebung caused the fault in the first place and cost me money to un-do what they had done.

Now at 92400K’s the gearbox EXPLODES at 110 K’s per hour, in 6th gear, (I kid you not), It felt like I ran over an IUD or some kind of explosive) this thing is only rubble now (gear box wise) and they blame a ECU remap and a 3’ exhaust causing to much horse power / and or tuque.

This is my daily drive for work and hasn’t been off road really yet, does not towed anything heavy or at distance.
The sole purpose for the tuning is to provide drivability with a better fuel consumption rate than the standard misleading offered by Ford Australia.
The customer after sales service has been a joke, I have dash cam footage of them NOT performing a service.
Ford Billson Rd QLD and Ford Australia need to get all the upgrades and be away from the cheap scrap metal Chinese bearing Ford Australia use.
This issue really needs a re-call.
NOTHING they tell me is truthful and EVERY service I have had done from new has caused more issues then the Ranger went in with,
If it went in for a standard service without any issues it most often came out with one that Ford Service had caused.
In short, the Ford Ranger is a OK car, BUT Ford Service and the penny pinching of FORD AUSTRALIA leave me with a very bitter stuck pill in my throat.
NOTE: I have spoken to many agents Ford Service Departments use for Gear Box Warranty Repair.
ALL have said this issue is due to SUBSTANDARD bearing and that the 6th is the weakest gear in the manual gear box and 6th should be avoided “UNLESS” you are driving at ABOVE 120Kmph with an empty car ON FLAT road (NOT a SLIGHT incline) an NOT towing a trailer “Even an empty box trailer.
DON’T BELIEVE ME?: GOOGAL AND TALK TO GEARBOX REPAIR AGENTS.
From what I understand this applies to ALL 6 speed manuals eg: Nissan, Ford , Toyota and alike.