leaning to left Bad

Non Ranger Related Subjects
pestie

leaning to left Bad

Post by pestie »

Hi guys hope you can help , have searched the forum but cannot find a similar problem .My 2015 mk2 super cab is leaning to the left by 25mm and with someone in the driver seat.Also the cap between the helper springs on the near side and offside is 7mm difference sitting on a flat concrete slab . Also the gap between the front cab and the tub has a 10 mm difference from side to side . Also the angle of the spring hanger is at a totally different angle to the opposite side . The service dept (from the dealer I purchased) agreed something is wrong , but there mechanic said it is only 15mm difference and the tub just needs realigning and that it is industry standard CRAP
Because this dealer is 2 hrs away I chose to take it to another dealer (closer) and they agree there is a problem , but I was told that someone has to pay for this ( $ ) as it should not of got past pre delivery ( the first dealer or I may have to pay ) and must of happened after I took delivery . The car has 3290 klm on it . WELL ! Now with my blood racing my next step is ford customer service and if that does not work , then fair trading . Has anyone else had this problem.
Matt n Rach

Re: leaning to left Bad

Post by Matt n Rach »

My car sits down about 20mm on the left. I have upgraded suspension but I put it down to the fuel tank being on the left. I also have a long range tank fitted.
macmanluke
300 Club

Post by macmanluke »

Pretty standard on the rangers unfortunately.

I got mine fairly level adjusting my aftermarket coil overs but that won't help you.
pestie

Post by pestie »

Just had a call from ford and they say it is within there standards . So I ask who writes these standards ! , What pee's me off owners have to go through so much crap just to get a problem fixed . We spend 50-60 grand on these cars . Well after all the comments I have had from people about my car leaning to the left , great advertising !
Gunmetal
300 Club

Post by Gunmetal »

Did you only just notice this ?
RobJ

Post by RobJ »

I too put it down to the long range fuel tank on the left but it levels up ok when I hook my van on
Trolling Dirt
300 Club

Post by Trolling Dirt »

For year's there used to be a left n right spring labeled to suit std weights and their positions relative to the weight.
Most are slightly higher at driver's front due to what ever reason. So I think yeah you will notice this in most off the showroom car's. As for tub alignment this has been found with a few on here they are just the Monday morning or Friday arvo checked one's hehehe as quality control is still half asleep Monday morning and can't wait to knock of on Friday LOL.

Every manufacturer seems to have an excuse and tollerance just like local councils so they can get out of stuff so don't over stress yourself with it , just get everything in writing so if they try n say it's the first I've heard of it you have something.

Enjoy the ride to repair it could be short n quick or long n slow.
Stefs-cruiser
300 Club

Post by Stefs-cruiser »

The tub is an easy fix, it's only 6 bolts, with a long 1/2' bar, back them off, re-alight and tightened.

In regards to the lean, is it so bad you can tell without a measure tape?
Does it really matter?
ATC
300 Club

Post by ATC »

Aftermarket suspension will fix it.

When the factory suspension collapses, sorry morphs into extreme comfort mode, then you'll be able to get it level.
pestie

Post by pestie »

Gunmetal wrote:Did you only just notice this ?
I noticed it the day after I took delivery . So I rang the dealer and he suggested I point it out on the first service (3000klm) . The service advisor could see the problem from across the street . Ford are now looking into it . Now I may have a couple of options .
1) fit aftermarket suspension . 2) swap the rear leaf springs and fit a long range fuel tank . 3) fit air bags to level it up .As suggested realign the tub myself !
Thanks guys for your replies
Trublu

Post by Trublu »

ATC wrote:Aftermarket suspension will fix it.

When the factory suspension collapses, sorry morphs into extreme comfort mode, then you'll be able to get it level.
p*** poor from Ford that you have to spend money on a brand new Ranger that has done bugger all mileage, the problem should have been rectified at Ford's expense not the customer :x
ATC
300 Club

Post by ATC »

trublu wrote:
ATC wrote:Aftermarket suspension will fix it.

wee poor from Ford that you have to spend money on a brand new Ranger that has done bugger all mileage, the problem should have been rectified at Ford's expense not the customer :x
No - EXTREMELY POOR FROM FORD that crap suspension isn't fixed

I had a similar issu with my Mazda, where the suspension collapsed, but it was in "spec" so they wouldn't fix it.
Just replaced it with a 2" lift and got on with life.
paull
50 Club

Post by paull »

I think it's par for the course these days.
My current car is a JK Wrangler. The suspension is designed around the weight of the petrol motor (as that is all that is sold in the US) so with the added weight of a CRD motor the stock front suspension sags quite quickly. To be honest I'm not really sure it's up to the task of supporting the petrol motor but it certainly doesn't hold the CRD for long and that's without any bar work. The JK's have the fuel tank on the drivers side and also lean quite a bit too that side, especially if you do a lot of 1-up driving where the weight of the driver and the fuel tank is on the same side.
I'm not saying it's right, but I think it happens quite often. If you're going to upgrade your suspension anyway then it's not a major issue but you shouldn't be forced to upgrade your suspension because the crap supplied from the manufacturer is arguably not fit for purpose. Most decent aftermarket suspension suppliers for the JK supply taller springs for the drivers side to compensate. Not sure if that's the same for other brands.
pestie

Post by pestie »

An update on my leaning ranger . Ford say ( and I have this in writing ) that to there spec's "they allow -20mm to +20mm difference to either side of the ford ranger suspension " BUT they will not fix any car unless it is " -30mm to +30mm . mine is 25mm . Yet 2 Ford dealers agree that they would not accept it and it does not look good ,but Ford say ,No . They do not realize that they spend millions on advertising but word of mouth is the best form of advertising . Such as this forum.
BEFORE YOU PICKUP YOUR NEW FORD RANGER CHECK IT OUT AND IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY WITH IT DON'T ACCEPT IT .
paull
50 Club

Post by paull »

Surely they can not do that.
If they have a +/-20mm spec allowance (which in itself is huge in my opinion) then anything outside of that needs to be fixed.
If they will only fix outside of +/-30mm then that is what they are saying is acceptable, and the +/-20mm spec doesn't really exist (or doesn't mean anything).

I'd be taking that letter to the dealer principle (or to Ford directly) and explaining politely that it BS.
If they have a spec of +/-20mm and yours is outside of that then I'd be demanding it's fixed.

Even 20mm is still a massive difference. I'd expect it to deviate +/-5mm due to fuel levels, even +/-10mm at the most, but if an empty, stock, new vehicle is out by any more than that then it is either faulty or just badly designed with bad weight distribution.
butch.
300 Club

Post by butch. »

Had an 09 hilux and it was about 12-15mm different, tojo said it was well within spec :? My Ranger is a bit softer on the front left corner but only 6mm lower than the right side.
Cheers , Butch.
Gunmetal
300 Club

Post by Gunmetal »

pestie wrote: BEFORE YOU PICKUP YOUR NEW FORD RANGER CHECK IT OUT AND IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY WITH IT DON'T ACCEPT IT .
Great idea but why are you YELLING ?
Fondles
300 Club

Post by Fondles »

"they allow -20mm to +20mm difference to either side of the ford ranger suspension "

so up to 40mm of difference side to side is within tolerance (left down 20mm, right up 20mm).

Gee that smells like a big pile of cow excrement to me.
My rides;
2020 Ranger XL+ Hi-Rider.
2014 D40 Navara.
2017 Honda Click 125i (Scooter).
2018 Yamaha XSR 900.
ATC
300 Club

Post by ATC »

Fondles wrote:"they allow -20mm to +20mm difference to either side of the ford ranger suspension "

so up to 40mm of difference side to side is within tolerance (left down 20mm, right up 20mm).

Gee that smells like a big pile of cow excrement to me.
Obviously all the cow excrement is on the one side of the truck.
Just just enough so it's outside of spec, but not bad enough to fix it.

POOR FORM FORD
pestie

Post by pestie »

Well finally , after another inspection by the local dealer (with the suspension leaning to the left) the head mechanic stated that a new spring is required on the left hand side of the car .Problem ! . The day before the car was due to have the new spring installed , I had ARB install a long range fuel tank . The new spring has been installed and the problem of the car leaning 25mm to the left is still there , no difference . I returned the car to the dealer after a few weeks to have another look at it and they state that because there has been a long range tank fitted they will no longer warrant by claim because the added weight of the long range fuel tank causes the car to lean to the left side ,(ignoring the previous issues ) but if I replace the original fuel tank they will look at it and they have notified ford of this . I mentioned to the service manager did you look how much fuel was in the tank ,no he said , well the orange light is on the dash indicating low fuel (I worked out 15L ) . The ARB tank holds 140L and with the tank empty it leans 25mm and full it leans 26mm . Ford make it so hard to deal with them , I now I am not the only one with this problem (spring , chassis ?) as I have come across others with the same issues ( one uses air bags to rectifier the problem) so for now I will have to put up with it or pay for aftermarket suspension
Fondles
300 Club

Post by Fondles »

swap thew springs left to right and see if that makes a difference.
My rides;
2020 Ranger XL+ Hi-Rider.
2014 D40 Navara.
2017 Honda Click 125i (Scooter).
2018 Yamaha XSR 900.
bkh91
75 Club

Post by bkh91 »

I measured mine this morning because it went in for a suspension lift and the left side was about 15mm lower than the right. I did have a full tank of fuel, a deep cycle battery on the left side as well so that might have made a bit of a difference. Will need to see how it looks when I pick it up this afternoon. Good thing is that I'm getting some height adjustable struts so I should be able to refine the heights once everything settles in.
pestie

Post by pestie »

Fondles wrote:swap thew springs left to right and see if that makes a difference.
Yes fondles I will do that in the coming weeks and post the results . If not the springs what is causing the car to lean 25mm to the left? . We will see
black-c
300 Club

Post by black-c »

I have always reckon it is from the fuel tank and battery on that side among other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 PX XL dual cab
2003 F150
WILDTRAKPX2
200 Club

Post by WILDTRAKPX2 »

Mines 20mm lower on the left. It's very noticeable.
FORD RANGER WILDTRAK PX2
ira11y
300 Club

Post by ira11y »

I was following a Silver XLT today and it was clearly leaning left as well, I don't seem to have the same issue with mine but its obviously common enough
Cheers
Michael

Without quantifiable facts there are merely opinions. Opinions are like an anus, everybody's got one!
walternolan

Post by walternolan »

has anyone considered that it is enginered that way... (for the camber on L/H drive roads like the USA)... The solid axle landcruiser's are (even though the dealers dont know this)... had to get a correction pin installed to correct it for Right Hand Drive roads and stop uneven tyre wear and uneven braking......

Would be interesting to find out if the spring sets and suspension mounts are identical left and right.
black-c
300 Club

Post by black-c »

Even with aftermarket suspension mine still leans to the left. But then I have a set of draws and a fridge on that side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
2012 PX XL dual cab
2003 F150
TUGGER

Post by TUGGER »

Have just joined this forum and thanks for the posts. I have recently purchased a 2017 Wildtrak new and noticed the lean to the left. Initially was not too concerned, as thought it would be rectified under warranty. Not so! Have been given the run around via the Dealer and Ford for the same reasons as already discussed - 20mm tolerance. Has anyone actually solved this problem either via the Dealer or aftermarket suspension changes. Does changing the springs solve the problem or is their another inherent chassis problem.Appreciate your feedback.
Cheers
baxtc1
200 Club

Post by baxtc1 »

Put a 40mm lift in mine, no improvement with the lean. I think it is an engineering feature of these cars.
PX, 2.2, 6 speed crunch box.
Bill68
300 Club

Post by Bill68 »

baxtc1 wrote:Put a 40mm lift in mine, no improvement with the lean. I think it is an engineering feature of these cars.
battery and fuel tank is on the left so when you start bolting all your crap on put some on the right side mine sits level
MickJT
200 Club

Post by MickJT »

My rear leans to the left 15mm which I can notice when standing behind.
I have a 140L tank and even when it's empty it still looks the same. Even have my large heavy toolbox on the RHS now. Still leans to the left slightly so I'm just living with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

mine leans left. annoyed me when i got it, viewed from behind, not fussed now. hard the rig out for a few chirps on the bitumen after work. love the ute!
baxtc1
200 Club

Post by baxtc1 »

Bill68 wrote:
baxtc1 wrote:Put a 40mm lift in mine, no improvement with the lean. I think it is an engineering feature of these cars.
battery and fuel tank is on the left so when you start bolting all your crap on put some on the right side mine sits level
Driver sits on the right. Maybe I should put on more weight. :)
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

donuts. choc jam.
Hoyks
300 Club

Post by Hoyks »

I've noticed mine is sagging a bit to the left now. I can't blame the stock springs as they went into the scrap metal bin about 2 months after I bought it. I thought it was quite noticeable when parked in the shed and looking at the back of the tray, but after taking some gear out and burning 1/2 a tank of juice I then measured it and it is only 5mm from hub to wheel arch.

The replacement springs are missing some of the teflon pads that go between the leaves, I think a bit of the gap will be taken up when I replace the pads.
baxtc1
200 Club

Post by baxtc1 »

Just had a look at my thread re suspension, it seems that it was 15mm lower on the left before and only 10 mm after. So there was a small improvement in my case
TUGGER

Post by TUGGER »

Thinking of fitting Boss airbags to fix the problem - bring it up on left side and also to assist when buying a caravan down the track. Anybody tried this and any feedback on Boss airbags?
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

read the post about the bloke with his written off ranger due to airbags
Nickoranger

Post by Nickoranger »

My 2015 xlt duel cab was leaning left with a difference of nearly 30mm. Had pedders switch the leaf springs at the rear and now only 8mm out. Much better since the swap was done! Tried Ford and got the run around!!! An option is to put another leaf on the rear left to bring it up a few mm. Good
luck to all as I know it’s frustrating.