Extended Warranty. A rippoff or is it worth it?

Non Ranger Related Subjects
gus008

Extended Warranty. A rippoff or is it worth it?

Post by gus008 »

Hi All

After suffering the long drawn out process of buying a new car and being "milked" for all the extras like paint protection, rust protection and fabric protection the subject came up about extended warranty.

I was originally told I could extend my 3 year factory warranty to 5 years for $2600.00. As long as I continued to get my car serviced by the dealer and of course if Mars aligned with Saturn and Neptune they would cover any mechanical issues when they arose. Having been around the block a few times I suggested they stick their extended warranty were the sun don't shine. As I believe the chances of the planets aligning and them actually paying up was significantly less then winning lotto.

Well today, surprise surprise, I received a call from my dealer. Here's the abridged version of the conversation.

Dealer - Hi, we have noticed you haven't taken out the extended warranty.

Me - Correct it's not worth it and you should have faith in your product.

Dealer - I have a policy on my desk from a "cancelled" order, I can let you have it for $2000 and you get and extra 5 years warranty.

Me - 5 years... I was told it would extend the warranty to 5 years not by 5 years.

Dealer - No sir, you'll get a total of 8 years warranty...... Plus you'll get another five years road side assistance.

Me - I already have premium road side which I shall continue so I'm not really interested.

Dealer - OK, I'll do the extended warranty for $1700 plus We'll give you the premium road side assist for 8 years instead of the basic roadside.

Me - Are you sure about that.

Dealer - Yes

Me - Where do I sign.

Now I'm not the smartest man on the block but I pay $200 a year for my premium road side assistance. 8 x $200 = $1600.
Have I just got my extended warranty for $100..........

Two questions, Is the extra warranty worth the extra dollars & how much are these guys taking us for if we don't argue and just say yes I'll take the extra "XYZ" thank you.

I just hope that if I need it that Mars and Neptune are in alignment!

Cheers Guys :?
Btboy

Re: Extended Warranty. A rippoff or is it worth it?

Post by Btboy »

Make sure it's factory warranty not the crap dealer warranty.... It's not worth the paper its printed on, not only are there heaps of exclusions but also limits per claim and at the rate dealers charge to repair problems you will also need papers to refinance your house
NTMID8
300 Club

Post by NTMID8 »

Ive been offered the extended "new car" warranty which is through AWN for a total of $1200. Im told that all extended factory warranties are covered by AWN now.
stasik-a4
300 Club

Post by stasik-a4 »

when i used to work for FORD the factory MY FORD Extended warranty used to run through Allianz not AWN. i would be asking the dealer if it is MY FORD Warranty... ;)
naddis01
300 Club

Post by naddis01 »

My Ford is the factory extended warranty. All the others are just dealer warranties which are basically insurance policies with many limitations and exclusions. The general give away that it is a dealer warranty is the requirement to have the vehicle serviced at that dealer. You might also find that any warranty claim through these dealer extended warranty will include exorbitant repair costs that go well beyond the limitations of the warranty. So you are still out of pocket.

I would be reading the fine print Gus for the limitations and exclusions.
NTMID8
300 Club

Post by NTMID8 »

stasik-a4 wrote:when i used to work for FORD the factory MY FORD Extended warranty used to run through Allianz not AWN. i would be asking the dealer if it is MY FORD Warranty... ;)
The one that was offered to me was 3yrs, 175,000km covering all items covered under new car minus trim. The deal with servicing was any "qualified" mechanic could service it but must be serviced every 10k or 6mths.
stasik-a4
300 Club

Post by stasik-a4 »

NTMID8 wrote:
stasik-a4 wrote:when i used to work for FORD the factory MY FORD Extended warranty used to run through Allianz not AWN. i would be asking the dealer if it is MY FORD Warranty... ;)
The one that was offered to me was 3yrs, 175,000km covering all items covered under new car minus trim. The deal with servicing was any "qualified" mechanic could service it but must be serviced every 10k or 6mths.
IT does not sound like a genuine ford factory approved warranty. It should be 3yrs - 100,000km manufacturer warranty followed by another 3yrs - 100,000km myford warranty so total should be 6yrs - 200,000km warranty its what i have on my truck.
some info:
The myFord Extended New Vehicle Warranty is a full extension of the original Ford Express New Vehicle Warranty, with plan options available to extend the original three years/100,000 km, by a further three years/100,000 km. This means your Ford can have new vehicle warranty protection for up to six years from first registration or up to 200,000km (since new), whichever occurs first.
The myFord Extended New Vehicle Warranty is available at the time of your Ford purchase from a participating myFord Authorised Dealer and for existing owners. Vehicles that are under three years of age from the date of first registration and have travelled less than 100,000kms at the time of application are eligible to apply.

http://www.ford.com.au/ownership/myford ... warranties
D-ranged
300 Club

Post by D-ranged »

I happily paid $1500 for the factory MyFord 3 year/100K warranty extension. Knowing that any manufacturer related issues should be covered for the next 6 years is excellent peace of mind. :)
Dazz5569

Post by Dazz5569 »

Hi all, please correct me if I'm wrong! My dealer told me I could take out the extended warranty anytime in the future while I'm still covered by the original Factory Warranty. So I thought I'd wait & see how my new pride & joy goes.
D-ranged
300 Club

Post by D-ranged »

I wanted to give the new owner of my old PX the benefit of an ongoing warranty, so I took out a Ford extended warranty a couple of weeks before the original warranty on my PX ran out. It was basically an insurance policy backed by Allianz labelled "myFord Extended New Vehicle Warranty", whereas the booklet that came with the my PXII says "myFord Factory Approved Warranty" & this was also noted on the deal papers, although in an abbreviated form.

The problem with the insurance warranty is that it could not be transferred if the vehicle was traded in to any dealer, only if it is disposed of by private sale. I traded the PX in a week before it was 3 years old, so once I had the new ute I cancelled the extra warranty (before it had even started) and the knob throttler at myFord Warranty Administrator then tried to tell me that there was no refund due. I got the dealer involved as they were the ones that told me I could get a refund for any unexpired part of the policy and it was finally resolved, although it took them nearly a month to send me the refund - even then it was a cheque from the dealer, not myFord.

So be careful what the dealers try to sell you, there are important differences between the two "extended warranties". :?
macmanluke
300 Club

Post by macmanluke »

100% go extended warranty - too many issues with these things.

Just make sure its factory warranty.

Wish i had :(
NTMID8
300 Club

Post by NTMID8 »

Macmanluke, what issues have you had?
D-ranged
300 Club

Post by D-ranged »

Well, it has been a while...

My 6 year warranty expired 10 days ago. The Ranger has been serviced to death during the warranty period, particularly over the past 2 years.

Earlier this afternoon I was half a click from home when the engine started revving at around 3000rpm and slowed to a crawl in Drive, as I tried to get off a busy road. I pulled up around the corner & out of traffic to digest what had happened, but naturally drew a blank.

I shut the ute down and re-started it, still nothing.

I rang my dealer, told them what had happened & they said to bring it in (on a tray top, per RAC) and that they would look at it as soon as they were able. They acknowledged that the warranty was recently expired, but seemed optimistic about Ford covering any repair costs.

Let's see how this one pans out.
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Welcome back mate! Interested to see how it goes
Bill68
300 Club

Post by Bill68 »

10 days you'll be covered with your service history
Squealy
25 Club

Post by Squealy »

I have previously paid for extended warranty on 2 x PX1 Rangers and a 2015Everest I had paid approx $2000 per policy so that’s $6000 in total and about 4 months ago dealer replaced Everest glow plugs and while at dealership Adblue system crapped itself total repair cost was over $6000 so recouped my spend over all three vehicles
The dealership had advised me of the cost, then I told them to check their system regarding the extended warranty which they weren’t aware of and all repairs were fully covered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Winning
D-ranged
300 Club

Post by D-ranged »

Shyeah, I'm waiting with baited breath. I couldn't get any feedback yesterday, as I was unavailable & have just fired off an email this mornin' to keep it on the boil.
D-ranged
300 Club

Post by D-ranged »

Turns out that all bolts on the torque converter sheared off & the gear box is rooted. A new box is needed, with the dealer telling me that Ford are apparently not interested in assisting in any way. This info came through too late to ring over east today, so I will talk to them tomorrow.....
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Yeah dont give up on this. Chase them down as i did and bill did. Good luck