New Ranger Headlights

Non Ranger Related Subjects
papple

New Ranger Headlights

Post by papple »

Took delivery of my new UK Ranger Wildtrack at the weekend and happy with it except for the headlights which are poor in my opinion.

I was hoping it would have had Xenons but no. Even allowing for the regular projector halogens the illumination is really quite sub-standard.

So has anyone done a bulb / led upgrade at all?
BLACKCRUSADER

Re: New Ranger Headlights

Post by BLACKCRUSADER »

papple wrote:Took delivery of my new UK Ranger Wildtrack at the weekend and happy with it except for the headlights which are poor in my opinion.

I was hoping it would have had Xenons but no. Even allowing for the regular projector halogens the illumination is really quite sub-standard.

So has anyone done a bulb / led upgrade at all?
I mounted an ARB with driving lights on mine. They are like 2 extra sun beams. I have to ask dealer who makes them but they are blazing. They take about 10 seconds to come to full power when first switched on.

papple

Post by papple »

That looks great but we are not allowed to put bars onto cars in the UK.

I'm looking for upgraded headlight and an LED light bar set into the grill.
BLACKCRUSADER

Post by BLACKCRUSADER »

papple wrote:That looks great but we are not allowed to put bars onto cars in the UK.

I'm looking for upgraded headlight and an LED light bar set into the grill.
I am sure my bull bar is family friendly, at least to my family inside the car. Yeah agree the standard headlights are not the most powerful but I didnt check to see if could have upgraded bulbs. LED lights cost a fair bit so you might try seeing if you can get more powerful lamps.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Ford-Ranger-H ... 049/i.html
Beeblebrox_Z

Post by Beeblebrox_Z »

I have a new Ranger Mk2 and was not impressed by the lights. I expected the lights to be more suited to city driving so I purchased a pair of thesse lights:

http://zombielights.com.au/collections/ ... inch-round

On test these lights were very very good with exceptional quality. These lights represent very good value for money and are about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost is f some well known brands.

Jeremy.
Soap

Post by Soap »

I have a New MK11 XLS, my low beam is really good,probably a bit to high but gives a great wide & long beam of light. What i am not impressed by is the high beam, it appears to be pointing to low (yet my low beam seem high) the light is bright but is pointing to low. Does anyone know if you can adjust the high beam seperately? Im doubting it as it seems like the one headlamp assembly? If i could adjust my highbeam up a bit i think they would be great for standard lights.
Normalbloke
100 Club

Post by Normalbloke »

I'd check the bulbs are fitted correctly, not bent, nor mounted upside down. It's a ham fist to fit one inverted, but I've seen it done.....
John Roy

Post by John Roy »

Hello Papple,
My new truck is still on order so this has answered a question for me; will the new light be a bad as the ones on the old one. I upgraded the bulbs in my 2012 Ranger, the whitest, brightest standard bulbs in the headlights and I managed to get LED daytime running lights which made a huge difference to the look.

I've also got a Halo Dominator 21" lightbar wired to the main beam that tucked under my number plate. That's super bright. http://halolightbars.co.uk/products/hal ... ght-bar-21

I should have the headlight bulb packaging at work somewhere, I'll have a look tomorrow
stuffedcrust
25 Club

Post by stuffedcrust »

Having had Bi Xenon projectors in my last few cars the Rangers headlights by comparison are pretty average. Watching this thread and hoping someone has upgraded the standard projector bulbs!
Soap

Post by Soap »

Normalbloke wrote:I'd check the bulbs are fitted correctly, not bent, nor mounted upside down. It's a ham fist to fit one inverted, but I've seen it done.....
Cheers, ill check that this arvo
Boots
300 Club

New Ranger Headlights

Post by Boots »

I've just fitted a pair of these LED units, I guess globes is no longer the correct term. Daylight comparison is impressive, they claim to be 7 (seven) times brighter than OME globes and I'd believe it. These are going into a PX 1 by the way. The cut off and pattern seem like they shouldn't produce too much glare for on coming drivers, unlike the HIDs which are bad for that. First run tonight, will keep you posted.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkImageImage

These are some pics after I'd fitted one LED for comparison.

ImageImage

Reflections in the window at work show not much glare/ scatter on low beam and heaps brighter on high, which is when the spot ties are on of course.

ImageImage
butch.
300 Club

Post by butch. »

The roller door " test " is horrific :shock: looking forward to the night drive report . Cheers, Butch.
WILDTRAKPX2
200 Club

Post by WILDTRAKPX2 »

butch. wrote:The roller door " test " is horrific :shock: looking forward to the night drive report . Cheers, Butch.
:lol:
FORD RANGER WILDTRAK PX2
WILDTRAKPX2
200 Club

Post by WILDTRAKPX2 »

Boots wrote:First run tonight, will keep you posted
How did they go Boots? I am very interested.
FORD RANGER WILDTRAK PX2
Boots
300 Club

New Ranger Headlights

Post by Boots »

Sorry guys, been almost a week. I put the pics up on the Ranger Facebook page and forgot about this one, so just for you Butch. I think I've also posted on this forum, but a different thread. I'm pretty happy, the spotties are LEDs as well so I used to have bright white light on high beam, but patchy yellow light on low. Not quite as bright as I was hoping. Maybe 7 times brighter as claimed, but not 7 times better if you know what I mean. Typical LEDs, don't throw very far. But then again, they have retained the factory cut off pretty well and no one has flashed me on low beam so I don't think they are too intrusive. High beam is great, adds a lot of spread to the spots which are both basically pencil. The straight in the pics is around 400 m and although the camera doesn't do it justice, you can see to the end no worries on high with the spots and a fare coverage a long way down the road. As I've said somewhere else, you would struggle to see a roo 400m away in daylight if it was on the side of the road, so there's really not a lot of use having lights better than that. Nice to have, but it starts getting Exy for not much return.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkImage
High beam with spots on.

Low beam headlights only.
butch.
300 Club

Post by butch. »

Cool........so would You say yep a good mod and I recommend it ? Or is it one of those things you could live with out.
Cheers, Butch.
ira11y
300 Club

Post by ira11y »

Are they a direct replacement, as in they fit in the factory holes? They look quite long, like you would need to leave the moisture covers off?
Cheers
Michael

Without quantifiable facts there are merely opinions. Opinions are like an anus, everybody's got one!
butch.
300 Club

Post by butch. »

ira11y wrote:Are they a direct replacement, as in they fit in the factory holes? They look quite long, like you would need to leave the moisture covers off?
Yeh It's hard to tell in the pic's . Cheers, Butch.
Boots
300 Club

Post by Boots »

They are direct replacement. The receptacle for want of a better word, goes in the same as your factory globe and is secured with the standard wire Spring clip. You then put your moisture covers on as normal, THEN you carefully line up and insert your LED component. It goes in and turns about an 1/8th of a turn to lock it again it's O ring. Looks pretty water/dust tight to me, which was a major concern of mine. Some of the other brands wouldn't take the dust cap/moisture cover without modification. The passenger side is a pain to fit though, as it has to line up exactly square to go in. The tolerances are very fine. I had to remove the battery and tray to get it in there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Astro

Post by Astro »

Hey papple,

I feel your pain on the headlights and think they look crap, I thought they would have LED DRL's and Xeon but no! crappy halogen all around. I would also like to upgrade them but being in the UK we are in a bit of a pickle, due to a combination of our road laws and EU laws we basically cannot modify them at all.
To fit HID you would need to change the stock projector to an HID compatible one which would mean altering the factory lights making it illegal, and if you wanted to fit those snazzy LED bulbs they would have to be type approved and E-marked to be considered legal in the EU and guess what there is not a single E-marked LED bulb on the market so you can't do that either.

My only hope is to see if I can get a hold of the top spec lights from the new Everest which has LED DRL's and factory HID and then fit them to my Ranger instead, I have no idea how to acquire these though.
ira11y
300 Club

Post by ira11y »

I changed out my globes for some Phillips Crystal Vision 4500K yesterday, the first thing you notice is how yellow the factory globes are. The overall change for vision was noticeable in terms of contrasting light, it definitely improved my lateral vision and when switching on the fog lights which I haven't changed out yet, you could see the difference in the colour scale clearly. In terms of distance it was hard to tell with the rain and street lights, it probably didn't decrease the range but no noticeable increase either.

It was hard to get a shot in daylight where you could see the difference but below you can see the right side of the picture is a lot more yellow than the left.

Cheers
Michael

Without quantifiable facts there are merely opinions. Opinions are like an anus, everybody's got one!
rjbarrington
300 Club

Post by rjbarrington »

I'm running Phillips White Vision H11 and Osram Cool Blue Intense H15. Both are around 3700K. It's a bit whiter and brighter... a small improvement in visibility. Not much point in changing the H15s though, as the light output is about the same but it does make the DRLs a little whiter. Picked up some Osram Night Breaker Ultimate H11 as well, but I think there's only so much can be done with the stock lights. I agree with Astro, that the Everest HIDs are the way to go if anyone can find 'em.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product/osram ... e-h15-twin
http://www.powerbulbs.com/au/product/ph ... h11-single
http://www.powerbulbs.com/au/product/os ... imited-h11
Richard

2015 PX2 Wildtrak: Alpha canopy, EGR flares, Ray's Daytona FDX-F6 17x8 +20, BF Goodrich KO2 285/70R17, Bilsteins with +40 mm King coils / Ironman 0kg leafs, polybushes + SuperPro shackles, front camera, tailgate struts, Global Auto seat covers.
DTHCoCo

Post by DTHCoCo »

The lights on the bt50 are s*** too even with the Philips +130% nearly hit a roo while towing the van was too close for comfort. I bit the bullet and purchased a pair of the new hybrid lightforce htx 230 led/hid driving lights while not cheap at $800 each they should fix the problem.
vagabond
25 Club

New Ranger Headlights

Post by vagabond »

So which ones would be better - Phillip Osram or from ledlightbaraustralia.com?
Last edited by vagabond on Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boots
300 Club

Post by Boots »

Definitely go the LEDs. I did the halogen upgrade and it was a waste of money.

measton42

Post by measton42 »

I have no issue with the stock mk2 ranger lights. I think they are great.

That being said I ate my carrots growing up. You need the road and footpath illuminated, not the tops of trees 300m down range.
WILDTRAKPX2
200 Club

Post by WILDTRAKPX2 »

measton42 wrote:I have no issue with the stock mk2 ranger lights. I think they are great.

That being said I ate my carrots growing up. You need the road and footpath illuminated, not the tops of trees 300m down range.
The low beam is OK, but in all my years of owning vehicles, the high beam on these vehicles is by far the worst. Have you used high beam out of the city or off the beaten track yet? The last thing I wanted was a bull/nudge bar/driving lights because I love the new front end styling but I had to install a small quality 10" Lightforce LED light bar on a number plate bracket. That has improved vision immensely, but for a $60K+ vehicle I feel Ford has let me down with the lights. With all the modern technology in cars these days, we still have old halogen setups.
Last edited by WILDTRAKPX2 on Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FORD RANGER WILDTRAK PX2
ijester

Post by ijester »

WILDTRAKPX2 wrote:
measton42 wrote:I have no issue with the stock mk2 ranger lights. I think they are great.

The low beam is OK, but in all my years of owning vehicles, the high beam on these vehicles is by far the worst. Have you used high beam out of the city or off the beaten track yet? The last thing I wanted was a bull/nudge bar/driving lights because I love the new front end styling but I had to install a small 10" LED light bar on a number plate bracket. That has improved vision immensely, but for a $60K+ vehicle I feel Ford has let me down with the lights. With all the modern technology in cars these days, we still have old halogen setups.
I too was thinking about a number plate bracket for an LED bar without having to fit a nudge bar unless needed. Any chances of posting a photo of your setup. Are they wired up to Hi beams or switched independently.
As for the stock headlights ,i agree they are very average.
There was mention of the headlights off a high end Everest being a better option if they are a simple swap over, depending on cost . I know they have LED DRL but are the Hi/ Low beams any better.
RJT257

Post by RJT257 »

I decided to fit a light bar, the light is alright but lacks the distance of the my previous narva 225 HID.
Light bar 23inch
Light bar 23inch
WILDTRAKPX2
200 Club

Post by WILDTRAKPX2 »

ijester wrote:
WILDTRAKPX2 wrote:

The low beam is OK, but in all my years of owning vehicles, the high beam on these vehicles is by far the worst. Have you used high beam out of the city or off the beaten track yet? The last thing I wanted was a bull/nudge bar/driving lights because I love the new front end styling but I had to install a small 10" LED light bar on a number plate bracket. That has improved vision immensely, but for a $60K+ vehicle I feel Ford has let me down with the lights. With all the modern technology in cars these days, we still have old halogen setups.
I too was thinking about a number plate bracket for an LED bar without having to fit a nudge bar unless needed. Any chances of posting a photo of your setup. Are they wired up to Hi beams or switched independently.
As for the stock headlights ,i agree they are very average.
There was mention of the headlights off a high end Everest being a better option if they are a simple swap over, depending on cost . I know they have LED DRL but are the Hi/ Low beams any better.
Sorry mate, I only just saw this now. The light bar is wired to use with high beam but has an isolation switch so you can turn it off. It makes a huge difference.
Last edited by WILDTRAKPX2 on Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FORD RANGER WILDTRAK PX2
Laava
100 Club

Post by Laava »

So are there canbus isssues when replacing the headlight bulbs or adding a light bar?
WILDTRAKPX2
200 Club

Post by WILDTRAKPX2 »

Laava wrote:So are there canbus isssues when replacing the headlight bulbs or adding a light bar?
No issues with a light bar.
FORD RANGER WILDTRAK PX2
Boots
300 Club

Post by Boots »

If you want to replace with LEDs which are well worth it IMHO, make sure you get the ones with the Canbus module. Costs an extra $15 or so, but no dramas with mine, 2014 PX 1. With Canbus system.

alpha1
300 Club

Post by alpha1 »

So Boots, you replaced your factory headlight globes with high/low beam LED? Is the light output much better? Cheers
Boots
300 Club

Post by Boots »

Heaps better. Nice bright, white light, no gaps, low beam cut off is very similar to standard globes, no glare for oncoming vehicles like there is with HIDs. I've got pics up here on another thread if you want a look. Chalk and cheese, compared to halogens and I previously had the Phillips 160% jobs. Very disappointed in them for the price.

Pippy

Post by Pippy »

These made a positive difference for a relatively small outlay.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/au/product/ni ... limited-h4
Boots
300 Club

New Ranger Headlights

Post by Boots »

I'm not going to put the whole lot up again, but here's the install half way through. Stock globe on the left, new LED on the right, judge for yourself if it's worth it.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkImage
Mongrel

Post by Mongrel »

I just tried a set of Philips bulbs. Were supposed to be better than stock - so the guy told me, and at 97 bucks I would have thought so. But alas, I have put the original bulbs back in as they were better in my opinion.

That said, I have a Great Whites light bar and dirty big ARB LED driving lights which my daughter calls the Night Sun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
glorc

Post by glorc »

Soap wrote:I have a New MK11 XLS, my low beam is really good,probably a bit to high but gives a great wide & long beam of light. What i am not impressed by is the high beam, it appears to be pointing to low (yet my low beam seem high) the light is bright but is pointing to low. Does anyone know if you can adjust the high beam seperately? Im doubting it as it seems like the one headlamp assembly? If i could adjust my highbeam up a bit i think they would be great for standard lights.
I have the same issue. When I had it serviced a couple of weeks ago, I asked them to have a look at this. As all good mechanics do, they just adjusted them up. Now the low beam is too high. I took it back today and put it against their light board in the workshop (a mind numbing experience that was). When you flick between high and low beam, the spot doesn't change, it only get broader. She did tell me no one else has mentioned this issue. There is no adjustment between the two bulbs, however they said they are going to re adjust the low beam after they reset the back springs.
Frankphipps

Post by Frankphipps »

They have a switch inside the cab to adjust headlights depending on load. I find standard lights excellent