Cracked windscreen - Non available - maybe 2mths wait

Non Ranger Related Subjects
waspworks
75 Club

Cracked windscreen - Non available - maybe 2mths wait

Post by waspworks »

I received a rock from a passing truck last week and have been told there are no PX2 (with tech pack) screens in the country.
Sounds like BS to me as they are saying could be up to 2 months wait... :-(

Greg.
Fondles
300 Club

Re: Cracked windscreen - Non available - maybe 2mths wait

Post by Fondles »

Does not surprise me.

Thailand automakers are not big on spare parts like glass. Took me 4 months to get a new screen for my 18 month old Mazda 3.
My rides;
2020 Ranger XL+ Hi-Rider.
2014 D40 Navara.
2017 Honda Click 125i (Scooter).
2018 Yamaha XSR 900.
Trolling Dirt
300 Club

Post by Trolling Dirt »

Was this threw windscreens obrien type business or just Ford ? Hope you have glass coverage on your insurance as I'd say that one may cost a fair penny.
johna56
50 Club

Post by johna56 »

waspworks wrote:I received a rock from a passing truck last week and have been told there are no PX2 (with tech pack) screens in the country.

Greg.

True, have ordered one on 22 nd February and none in country. Have kept in contact with Ford and they are on back order.
Think the problems arise from the floods they had a few months ago as I have seen photos of Rangers etc stacked 5-6 high on top of each other. Dumped due to too much damage to fix.
Hopefully there will be some available shortly.

Was told by a repairer that there are cheap Chinese screens available, about $500-00 cheaper to buy as well but not going to use one on a brand new Wildtrak, and waiting for the real deal to arrive..after paying top dollar for top insurance cover.
Insurance companies use the cheap out after the car is over 12 months of age, small hidden clause they hide in the policy.
Fondles
300 Club

Post by Fondles »

What floods ?
My rides;
2014 D40 Navara.
2018 Yamaha XSR 900.
naddis01
300 Club

Post by naddis01 »

The ones that happened when the PX started.
Fondles
300 Club

Post by Fondles »

Ohhh. The floods 5 years ago that did not actually flood out the Ranger facilty.
My rides;
2014 D40 Navara.
2018 Yamaha XSR 900.
waspworks
75 Club

Post by waspworks »

Trolling Dirt wrote:Was this threw windscreens obrien type business or just Ford ? Hope you have glass coverage on your insurance as I'd say that one may cost a fair penny.
Yep. through O'Brien's. They are the designated repairer of my insurer.
Yes - Complete and unlimited glass cover.

Greg.
Trolling Dirt
300 Club

Post by Trolling Dirt »

Oh bugger so what happens when your vehicle totally looses a screen do you loose ya ranger till they finally get one or does the insurance mob give you a vehicle to use. I suppose if it's only cracked you could use clear contact on the inside but you couldn't on the outside or wipers would make it crappie first time you used them.
Best of luck mate and hope they can source one quicker for you.
johna56
50 Club

Post by johna56 »

Fondles wrote:What floods ?
Obviously the flood / cyclone damage you don't know about..
butch.
300 Club

Post by butch. »

johna56 wrote:
Interesting...... :!: :!:
BLACKCRUSADER
200 Club

Post by BLACKCRUSADER »

butch. wrote:
johna56 wrote:
Interesting...... :!: :!:

I live in Taiwan, Typhoons, Earthquakes and floods are common place. One of the reasons I bought a wildtrak.
johna56
50 Club

Post by johna56 »

There was a photograph of latest version rangers of all models stacked 5 to 10 high on top of each other, just dumped when cleaning the factory out. All covered in mud a debris. Photo was posted on Facebook and other forums approx 3 to 4 months ago.
Fondles
300 Club

Post by Fondles »

johna56 wrote:
Must have been very localized as I live near the Ford Thailand facility and have not heard or seen anything of floods/cyclones.
My rides;
2014 D40 Navara.
2018 Yamaha XSR 900.
Trolling Dirt
300 Club

Post by Trolling Dirt »

Sounds a bit like Toyota or someone photoshoping n having a go at Ford rangers. I must not share same site's as I haven't seen that pic of stacked Rangers but yeah if you look back and find it again it'd be great to see so please share for a laugh.
Isoisa

Post by Isoisa »

I Just had a windscreen fitted to my PX Mk2 XLS with tech pack. Just Under $800 fitted. O'Briens quoted me $1100 plus fitting and extra for calibration of the camera. The camera seems to be working fine without the calibration. The only supplier at the moment is through Ford. There are as yet no after market suppliers for the tech pack screen. If you need one, make lots of phone calls to the smaller companies and GET WINDSCREEN COVERAGE ON YOUR INSURANCE FIRST.
They are available but I heard the same from my Ford dealer.
Cheers,
Leigh
waspworks
75 Club

Post by waspworks »

Isoisa wrote:I Just had a windscreen fitted to my PX Mk2 XLS with tech pack. Just Under $800 fitted. O'Briens quoted me $1100 plus fitting and extra for calibration of the camera. The camera seems to be working fine without the calibration. The only supplier at the moment is through Ford. There are as yet no after market suppliers for the tech pack screen. If you need one, make lots of phone calls to the smaller companies and GET WINDSCREEN COVERAGE ON YOUR INSURANCE FIRST.
They are available but I heard the same from my Ford dealer.
Cheers,
Leigh
Yeh, I might need to push Obriens buttons a bit harder. I find it hard to believe they are not available from ford.
P.S - I do have comp insurance with full glass cover so $50 cost only.

Greg.
Isoisa

Post by Isoisa »

Mine is a genuine item from Ford but the fitter is a privateer and won't reveal his source. He procured it in 3 days. This after my dealer and O'Briens said there were none available. Go figure.
Leigh
WILDTRAKPX2
200 Club

Post by WILDTRAKPX2 »

johna56 wrote:
waspworks wrote:I received a rock from a passing truck last week and have been told there are no PX2 (with tech pack) screens in the country.

Greg.

True, have ordered one on 22 nd February and none in country. Have kept in contact with Ford and they are on back order.
Think the problems arise from the floods they had a few months ago as I have seen photos of Rangers etc stacked 5-6 high on top of each other. Dumped due to too much damage to fix.
Hopefully there will be some available shortly.

Was told by a repairer that there are cheap Chinese screens available, about $500-00 cheaper to buy as well but not going to use one on a brand new Wildtrak, and waiting for the real deal to arrive..after paying top dollar for top insurance cover.
Insurance companies use the cheap out after the car is over 12 months of age, small hidden clause they hide in the policy.
My guess is you use an insurer with the cheapest premium. Quality insurance companies will use the OEM screens, but everyone knows you get what you pay for...
FORD RANGER WILDTRAK PX2
Fondles
300 Club

Post by Fondles »

WILDTRAKPX2 wrote: My guess is you use an insurer with the cheapest premium. Quality insurance companies will use the OEM screens, but everyone knows you get what you pay for...
Where does the Quality insurance company obtain an OEM screen from when none are available ?
My rides;
2014 D40 Navara.
2018 Yamaha XSR 900.
Trublu

Post by Trublu »

I had my windscreen replaced 2 years ago & no it was not an oem, still functions good as an oem so I see no problems with it, btw my model is XLT with rain sensor.

I could have had it replaced on my holiday trip at Alice Springs at the time but chose to do it at end of my holiday, did not want to risk any damage to a new windscreen.
WILDTRAKPX2
200 Club

Post by WILDTRAKPX2 »

Fondles wrote:
WILDTRAKPX2 wrote: My guess is you use an insurer with the cheapest premium. Quality insurance companies will use the OEM screens, but everyone knows you get what you pay for...
Where does the Quality insurance company obtain an OEM screen from when none are available ?
I detect a somewhat sarcastic undertone. There are two issues in this thread. One being the unavailability of screens and some insurance companies using cheap replacement windscreen.

My point was there are insurers out there that give the customer choice of repairer and factory parts including screens... always. If there is such a shortage the customer would be informed by their repairer and then Ford themselves, so the customer will decide. It's obviously out of the insurers hands.

But like I said, there are companies out there that don't give the customer options and they tend to be cheap.
FORD RANGER WILDTRAK PX2
johna56
50 Club

Post by johna56 »

WILDTRAKPX2 wrote:
Fondles wrote:
I detect a somewhat sarcastic undertone. There are two issues in this thread. One being the unavailability of screens and some insurance companies using cheap replacement windscreen.

My point was there are insurers out there that give the customer choice of repairer and factory parts including screens... always. If there is such a shortage the customer would be informed by their repairer and then Ford themselves, so the customer will decide. It's obviously out of the insurers hands.

But like I said, there are companies out there that don't give the customer options and they tend to be cheap.
I pay top dollar to one of the top national companies and their windscreen installer in my area said he could get a cheap Chinese screen in under a week, but the ute being new I want the original. Also, the top company only uses oem parts until the vehicle is 12 months old then uses a clause that says they can use whatever of " same quality " and give the same warranty on repairs.

As far as availability from Ford, they are not available and on back order. Mine was due in country on 25th ( last Friday) and received a call today saying they don't know where it is and will contact me again in a couple of days.

As far as " if there is such a shortage ", May I suggest you break your screen and go through the same process and get first hand knowledge of the shortage. Have been waiting since 22nd February so far.
Fondles
300 Club

Post by Fondles »

But Johna56..old matey wildtrakpx2 says you must use a quality insurer and then it will be ok.
My rides;
2014 D40 Navara.
2018 Yamaha XSR 900.
johna56
50 Club

Post by johna56 »

A heads up for anyone thinking of buying a new Ranger. There is a big lack of spare parts and long waiting lists for obtaining parts to fix the new Utes.
Been waiting since 22 February for a windscreen, was told two weeks ago it would arrive on 24th March (good Friday) and just now was informed it will be 20th April.
Have read of others waiting on turbos, egr valves Etc.
WILDTRAKPX2
200 Club

Post by WILDTRAKPX2 »

johna56 wrote:I pay top dollar to one of the top national companies and their windscreen installer in my area said he could get a cheap Chinese screen in under a week, but the ute being new I want the original. Also, the top company only uses oem parts until the vehicle is 12 months old then uses a clause that says they can use whatever of " same quality " and give the same warranty on repairs.

As far as availability from Ford, they are not available and on back order. Mine was due in country on 25th ( last Friday) and received a call today saying they don't know where it is and will contact me again in a couple of days.

As far as " if there is such a shortage ", May I suggest you break your screen and go through the same process and get first hand knowledge of the shortage. Have been waiting since 22nd February so far.
How did you get on with this mate? Are there screens available yet?

Like I said earlier, there are people who are getting let down by some insurers out there who aren't using OEM parts (in your case, windscreens because your vehicle is over 12 months old) so if you need any help with better insurance just let me know. I would be happy to help.

Our Rangers are not the average vehicles any more and I for one expect original parts.
FORD RANGER WILDTRAK PX2
Fondles
300 Club

Post by Fondles »

WILDTRAKPX2 wrote: How did you get on with this mate? Are there screens available yet?

Like I said earlier, there are people who are getting let down by some insurers out there who aren't using OEM parts (in your case, windscreens because your vehicle is over 12 months old) so if you need any help with better insurance just let me know. I would be happy to help.

Our Rangers are not the average vehicles any more and I for one expect original parts.
If ford have zero stock how does a better insurance company make the process any quicker, will they import one themselves ?
My rides;
2014 D40 Navara.
2018 Yamaha XSR 900.
WILDTRAKPX2
200 Club

Post by WILDTRAKPX2 »

We all know there is an issue with availability of screens (and other parts for that matter) and obviously no one can magically pull one out of thin air.

Just try and forget about the windscreens for a second...

johna56 said his insurance company has a clause which states they can use cheaper parts (non genuine) if his vehicle is over 12 months old. That's ALL parts which is bloody scary. That's not good enough and, I WILL SAY AGAIN, there are insurers out there that do give you choice of repairer and genuine parts.

IF there were genuine screens available, his insurer would still use a cheap Chinese screen replacement, not giving him the option of a genuine one, according to their policy. That's the issue I am talking about! I cannot make this any clearer.

I am done here as we are just going around and around in circles. If your insurer is like johna56's and you're happy with non genuine parts (including windscreens) that's great.
Last edited by WILDTRAKPX2 on Mon May 02, 2016 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
FORD RANGER WILDTRAK PX2
WILDTRAKPX2
200 Club

Post by WILDTRAKPX2 »

Actually one last thing. Forums are great because like minded people with different skill sets can share experiences and help others. That's all I am trying to do.
FORD RANGER WILDTRAK PX2
waspworks
75 Club

Post by waspworks »

Going in to the Ford dealer to have the windscreen fitted today.

I rang Obriens early last week to be told still no sign of a screen and could be up to another two months away.
I rang the dealer and suggested the lack of parts is absolutely unacceptable and was informed that a screen will be in stock end of last week.
I had to ring Obriens who then begrudgingly purchased the part from the Ford dealer and is now being fitted at the dealers premises so they can calibrate electronics after.

Pissez me of that I have to do the leg work for an insurance contractor.

Will keep the forum informed.

Greg.
waspworks
75 Club

Post by waspworks »

DONE... FINALLY.
New screen is in and all electronics are reset and appear to be functioning properly.

What a drawn out saga that was.
Greg.
WILDTRAKPX2
200 Club

Post by WILDTRAKPX2 »

Good to hear! What was the total cost in the end?
FORD RANGER WILDTRAK PX2
butch.
300 Club

Post by butch. »

This might sound like a dumb question but do Ford actually manufactur the glass for the ranger? And if yes do each ranger plant make their own glass? Cheers, Butch.
NTMID8
300 Club

Post by NTMID8 »

Butch there is not a chance ford manufacture there own glass, the cost to set this up would be huge. Like alot of parts they are built by other companies then stamped FoMoCo and charged out at a premium. I appreciate waspworks wanted a FoMoCo stamped one but the reality is there would be zero difference in the cheaper one.

Look at almost everything in the automotive industry, its almost all built by a few companies with minor tweaks and rebadged. Is the bt50 suffering huge spareparts delays? Would have been an interesting call to a mazda dealer for the windscreen. Ford dont make nuts and bolts etc but they are stamped FoMoCo yet nobody worries about using nuts and bolts from sprints/bunnings etc.
waspworks
75 Club

Post by waspworks »

WILDTRAKPX2 wrote:Good to hear! What was the total cost in the end?
I have no idea of cost as it was all covered under unlimited glass policy with insurance company.

Greg.
WILDTRAKPX2
200 Club

Post by WILDTRAKPX2 »

Excellent
FORD RANGER WILDTRAK PX2
butch.
300 Club

Post by butch. »

NTMID8 wrote:Butch there is not a chance ford manufacture there own glass, the cost to set this up would be huge. Like alot of parts they are built by other companies then stamped FoMoCo and charged out at a premium. I appreciate waspworks wanted a FoMoCo stamped one but the reality is there would be zero difference in the cheaper one.

Look at almost everything in the automotive industry, its almost all built by a few companies with minor tweaks and rebadged. Is the bt50 suffering huge spareparts delays? Would have been an interesting call to a mazda dealer for the windscreen. Ford dont make nuts and bolts etc but they are stamped FoMoCo yet nobody worries about using nuts and bolts from sprints/bunnings etc.
I was of the same conclusion ntmid8, but asked anyway ;) back a xmas time I got a stone in the ranger screen and just drove to the local bloke and he said "pick it up in the morning " he had a screen on hand. Cheers, Butch.
johna56
50 Club

Post by johna56 »

The new oem screen turned up on day stated by Ford, repairer picked it up from a dealer then arranged a suitable day to fit.
The contractor that did the job for the insurance company could not have been better, took all possible care cutting the old screen out and did not remove one bit of paintwork during the removal.
Put the new screen in and cleaned up any dust on dashboard etc and there was nothing to re-calibrate, the sensor and radar unit are already factory fitted and just plug into the exisiting harness.
They even went to the trouble of installing the foam trim on edge of windscreen that Ford did not fit or supply, to keep leaves etc from getting caught under the edge of windscreen. ( it is there on the original screen )
Hope I get the same service from Ford if needed in the future, but hopefully not needed as it runs and drives great as is.
WILDTRAKPX2
200 Club

Post by WILDTRAKPX2 »

Good to hear
FORD RANGER WILDTRAK PX2