Why did I buy a Ranger MK II 12 months after buying the MK I

Non Ranger Related Subjects
wakehild

Why did I buy a Ranger MK II 12 months after buying the MK I

Post by wakehild »

I purchased a Ranger PX in April 2015 and very quickly came to hate it, and am now upgrading to a PX MK II just delivered after rejecting the preferred option of an Everest based on shortcomings which should be of interest to prospective buyers.
My fundamental requirement was for a vehicle that could replace the “family car”, have a minimum tow capacity of 3 tonnes without load distribution hitches, and hopefully be able to sleep in it, all good 4x4 attributes. Beyond that, am looking for comfort and “bells and whistles”
I was actually on the verge of buying an Everest. This would have been my first preference but I have decided to go the cheaper path till a new Everest in 3 or whatever years because I still find “first model” shortcomings in what should be an up class vehicle such as the Everest. As is, it is just another SUV.
After the first day’s drive of Everest, I was getting keen but then came the night test, after which I spent more time evaluating the whole vehicle against its brother, the new Ranger MK II as well as against a Jeep Grand Cherokee one of which I also had for a 24hr trial.
The Jeep won hand down in the area of “bells and whistles”, while the Fords won hands down in the area of technology supporting the driver and road safety. The Everest eventually lost out to the Ranger because it had no additional bells and whistles over the Ranger for the additional cost, and when folding down all rear seats, there was no flatbed to sleep on.
The lights in the Fords are also a let down? There are urban cars that have lights that follow the steering and they don’t really need it in their dominantly street light environments, and here we are cars supposedly designed for non-urban environments with no lighting help at all for those environments where there is no ambient light.
Great technology in the Fords which is 50% why I stayed with a Ford option after 24 hours in the Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Another issue with this Everest, was the interior light show! In the ranger, the dome lights come on when the doors are opened but they can be turned off. In the Everest, two map reading lights, and two dome lights as well as the 8 inch screen, and none can be turned off while the doors are opened. Even the Jeep had a button to kill the 8” display. It needs a ‘stealth’ switch to turn off all interior lights in circumstances where you don’t want illumination as you get in and out of the car.
Next, with the towing capacity, 3.0 tonnes in the Everest, 3.5 in the Ranger MK II, and this is one of my biggest gripes. These trailer weights require a brake controller by law (over 2 tonnes), right? Surely this should be part of a “heavy duty” tow pack?? There is no room anywhere to fit a Tekonsa P3 which is invariably considered the best on the market, in either of these vehicles, and so everyone is defaulting to the Redarc Tow Pro since they’re the only ones they can fit somewhere on the dash.
The dash design could do with some allowance for aftermarket fitting of accessories like the Tekonsa P3, but the HD Tow pack should include an electronic brake controller in the first place. How can you call it a HD tow pack when I can only tow up to 2 tonne with override brakes as I leave the showroom? If Ford at least gave some consideration to decent electric brake controllers and their installation, the dash layout design might not be so frustrating to everyone installing them after market.
Then the seats, why can’t you put a simple pump up handle on the passenger’s seat??? These seats must exist for left hand drive countries, so what’s the difficulty ford, my partner is tired of being treated like a “lump of nothing” getting no comfort consideration at all, lumber support and height adjustment just should not cost another $20K to step up to the Titanium. Congrats for fitting illuminated mirrors to the sun visors in the MK II, at least some consideration of women has occurred, but the passenger seat with electronic 8 way adjustment and programmable keys was a really big point in the Jeep in the bells and whistles department.
With the Everest, as a wagon, I’d have expected when all back and middle seats were folded down, I’d be left with a totally flat surface into which I could slide large loads or even sleep on. Can be done in the Jeep, has been done in most station wagons over the ages, why then is Ford re-learning how to invent the wheel with the Everest?
Again in both vehicles, how old tech to still have a lumping great key that has to be inserted in a hard to fine and totally unlit keyhole, instead of a button start/stop. I’m sick of the Ford keys opening in my pocket like a mini sword, is this their contribution to global population control?
Finally I also agree with reviews that point out that they need a telescopic steering column, the Jeep again excelled in this regard.
Here’s hoping Ford can get the Everest right in the next 3 years.
Trolling Dirt
300 Club

Re: Why did I buy a Ranger MK II 12 months after buying the

Post by Trolling Dirt »

You also forgot they are supposed to be a 4*4 but come with street tyres LOL this should answer all your questions, they are getting cheaper cheaper with their expense ,meaning cost more and you get less.
But the end of the day a RANGER is a RANGER some say PX1 is better than PX2 but it's early day's for PX2 , give them 100,000k on the clock and we'll see how they going then.
Not updating to PX2 myself and like you say the Everest could definitely work on a flat area when seats are down also could do with another foot longer.
Gunmetal
300 Club

Post by Gunmetal »

Not bad for a first post, no introduction just whinge,whinge, whinge.

Dave.
stuffedcrust
25 Club

Post by stuffedcrust »

I do agree with the headlights point, having owned and driven alot of euro cars with active bi xenon HID's the PX2 ranger headlights are pretty average. If there was an option to upgrade the standard projectors with DRL I'd be all over it.
butch.
300 Club

Post by butch. »

Should have bought the Merc. :roll:
Or at least a rav :lol:
Cheers, Butch.
DangerRanger
300 Club

Post by DangerRanger »

Gunmetal wrote:no introduction just whinge,whinge, whinge.
Some blokes are natural born whingers - some of them would whinge if they were paid $5,000 to make love to Jennifer Hawkins :roll:
Last edited by DangerRanger on Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Expect the unexpected !
Fondles
300 Club

Post by Fondles »

Seems like a no brainier, Buy the Jeep.

Hope it aint a lemon :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sVmoOZRypk
My rides;
2020 Ranger XL+ Hi-Rider.
2014 D40 Navara.
2017 Honda Click 125i (Scooter).
2018 Yamaha XSR 900.
Trublu

Post by Trublu »

Sounds like PowerRanger is back!!! :o

Another TROLL
Grant L1
300 Club

Post by Grant L1 »

Sounds like you never did your home work at all, if you had you would have purchased a B18 and a 1/4 steam locomotive. That comes with all the Big bells and whistles you could ever want and you can get fuel anywhere very cheap. It also has the advantage of keeping the kids occupied as they amuse themselves feeding the big fire. You can also change the seating, sleeping, dining and cargo carrying by just backing up and attaching the different modular carriage attachments.

Another huge advantage as you can use it as a wrecking ball, any Jeeps you come across can be sent to the big wrecking yard in the sky and you won't even scratch the paint.
Go the Loco and forget the prissie That fella in Brisbane that wrecked the jeep on purpose could have saved himself and others a lot of effort by just taking the B18 and a '14 for a test drive.

BTW. if you buy a jeep make sure the colour is lemon, it will suit it down to a tee.
StvTheo
200 Club

Post by StvTheo »

Good review. Whinging in the right places gives Ford customer feedback to improve. E.g. When Our partners whinge to do something, we do it.
Work to Live NOT Live to Work
wakehild

Post by wakehild »

RE - whinge,whinge, whinge, I did alot of research on the internet as part of choosing my car, and the most valuable info was the experiences and sincere information provided by others before me, but by heck, to get it, you have to troll through alot of smart alec comments from brain dead idiots
johna56
50 Club

Post by johna56 »

StvTheo wrote:Good review. Whinging in the right places gives Ford customer feedback to improve. E.g. When Our partners whinge to do something, we do it.
Love my Wildtrak, but, there are some good points made, I.e. Electric brake control supplied with the " heavy duty tow pack" plus very poor headlights for Australian road conditions, unles you drive in the city only.
butch.
300 Club

Post by butch. »

The funniest part about this thread and others that suggests the vehicle needs more of one thing or another is.................... it's a Ute.....ute = work vehicle you know cart stuff around the job site, farm ect.
I'm not sure if there is the perfect all rounder vehicle. However I know a bloody big chunk of this country and others have been covered by vastly inferior vehicle's. If you want a tractor buy a tractor if it's an F1 you want get the F1, however the Ranger is pretty handy at a lot of stuff .
Cheers, Butch.
ps. just my opinion :)
Gunmetal
300 Club

Post by Gunmetal »

[quote brain dead idiots[/quote]

Usually they don't hang around here too long thankfully.
Jalito
300 Club

Post by Jalito »

butch. wrote:The funniest part about this thread and others that suggests the vehicle needs more of one thing or another is.................... it's a Ute.....ute = work vehicle you know cart stuff around the job site, farm ect.
I'm not sure if there is the perfect all rounder vehicle. However I know a bloody big chunk of this country and others have been covered by vastly inferior vehicle's. If you want a tractor buy a tractor if it's an F1 you want get the F1, however the Ranger is pretty handy at a lot of stuff .
Cheers, Butch.
ps. just my opinion :)
A fully respected opinion, of course; it would be good everyone did that. I am not sure if folks have noticed Wakehild was actually explaining/defending his choice to buy a PXII, so I am not sure where all that staunch defense of the car and qualification of the comments as "whinging" comes from.

Wakehild's comments are reasonable. That the Ranger is classified as a Ute is irrelevant. Both an entry-level Falcon and top-of-the range Mercedes are "family cars", but you would not expect the same level of equipment ("Bells and Whistles") in both. The Ranger is an expensive ute and I also feel disappointed by the lack of some features and poor quality of others in my XLT, which does not imply I do not like it! I think a passenger seat as adjustable as the driver would be a cheap, reasonable addition. The substandard quality of the lights is hard to understand. Surely everyone agrees bad illumination is a safety issue, yet we all expect airbags throughout? Very popular reviews downgraded the Amarok for the lack of rear airbags. A >$55,000 vehicle should not need a headlight upgrade to drive outside urban areas, and unfortunately the Ranger clearly falls behind in that aspect.
stuffedcrust
25 Club

Post by stuffedcrust »

Jalito wrote: A fully respected opinion, of course; it would be good everyone did that. I am not sure if folks have noticed Wakehild was actually explaining/defending his choice to buy a PXII, so I am not sure where all that staunch defense of the car and qualification of the comments as "whinging" comes from.

Wakehild's comments are reasonable. That the Ranger is classified as a Ute is irrelevant. Both an entry-level Falcon and top-of-the range Mercedes are "family cars", but you would not expect the same level of equipment ("Bells and Whistles") in both. The Ranger is an expensive ute and I also feel disappointed by the lack of some features and poor quality of others in my XLT, which does not imply I do not like it! I think a passenger seat as adjustable as the driver would be a cheap, reasonable addition. The substandard quality of the lights is hard to understand. Surely everyone agrees bad illumination is a safety issue, yet we all expect airbags throughout? Very popular reviews downgraded the Amarok for the lack of rear airbags. A >$55,000 vehicle should not need a headlight upgrade to drive outside urban areas, and unfortunately the Ranger clearly falls behind in that aspect.
Well said. The argument that it is simply a Ute and don't expect much is (nowadays) irrelevant. The higher spec models have crossed over from the 'old farm basher' to a top choice for the family car. You just need to take one look at the Wildtrak's extras to see what market they're trying to tap into and it sure as hell isnt a tough outback farm basher.

Either way, it wouldn't have been hard for Ford to offer some DRL with bixenon projectors (ie Everest lights). Give us that option and the truck is near on perfect.

PS I still get excited everytime I get to drive my PX2 Wildtrak, hands down the best vehicle I've owned.
butch.
300 Club

Post by butch. »

A mechanical engineer once told me " If the vehicle hasn't broken down yet it doesn't have enough features "
However the cr@p lighting problem can be solved.
I do like my PX1 but the PX2 is good as well.
Cheers, Butch.
Willobend
100 Club

Post by Willobend »

I take delivery of my mk11 next week. Getting a few ARB bits & pieces fitted and asked for the globe upgrade - they said no need the mk11 lights are fine - much better than mk1. Hope they are right. Still getting a light bar fitted for out on the open road.
BLACKCRUSADER
200 Club

Post by BLACKCRUSADER »

johna56 wrote:
StvTheo wrote:Good review. Whinging in the right places gives Ford customer feedback to improve. E.g. When Our partners whinge to do something, we do it.
Love my Wildtrak, but, there are some good points made, I.e. Electric brake control supplied with the " heavy duty tow pack" plus very poor headlights for Australian road conditions, unles you drive in the city only.

Not great headlights in Taiwan either. But as I was having an ARB and driving lights fitted anyway I got around that. It is a larger vehicle to drive around but I am happy with it. Does the job and can also haul away free firewood after trees come down in a storm.

johna56
50 Club

Post by johna56 »

butch. wrote:A mechanical engineer once told me " If the vehicle hasn't broken down yet it doesn't have enough features "
Cheers, Butch.
The crap lighting should not have to be solved, they should have decent at purchase especially when pay $63+ thousand.
The new Mustng is cheaper than the Wildtrak.
butch.
300 Club

Post by butch. »

johna56 wrote:
butch. wrote:A mechanical engineer once told me " If the vehicle hasn't broken down yet it doesn't have enough features "
Cheers, Butch.
The crap lighting should not have to be solved, they should have decent at purchase especially when pay $63+ thousand.
The new Mustng is cheaper than the Wildtrak.
I guess each to their own...........I paid a lot less than $63000. And got everything I expected :!: Cheers, Butch.
JSA
100 Club

Post by JSA »

I can't believe people's reactions and comments to this post... Somebody simply sharing their opinion and they get shut down with stupid smart ass comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trublu

Post by Trublu »

JSA wrote:I can't believe people's reactions and comments to this post... Somebody simply sharing their opinion and they get shut down with stupid smart ass comments.

Yea I'm sick of smart asses who come on knocking the Ranger on 1st post or two then you don't here from them again, the OP is a TROLL! :x
BLACKCRUSADER
200 Club

Post by BLACKCRUSADER »

Jalito wrote:! I think a passenger seat as adjustable as the driver would be a cheap, reasonable addition. The substandard quality of the lights is hard to understand. Surely everyone agrees bad illumination is a safety issue, yet we all expect airbags throughout?.

Seeing as Ford make both a LHD and RHD setup surely the option to choose a seat for passenger side should be offered.
Lights are below par but I did fit an ARB and lights as I live in an area with no lighting up in the mountains. But the OP is correct the lights are poor for this vehicle.
I'm 185cm tall but I find the steering comfortable but would be nice to have more adjustment.

My wife likes her seat but it would be nice if she had a fully electric adjustable one as the driver does.

Just to give you an idea where I live, my car isn't used for urban travel very much. I bought the Wildtrak for comfort and for the 4x4 and for the rough roads sealed and unsealed I drive on. The other thing is the 3.2l Turbo is easy to drive especially when hill climbing up wet mountain roads. Mine cost about AUD$65,000 with the extra ARB, lights, mud guards and other stuff added. Had it since last September and only thing I can say is that it's a different drive to my Audi 1.8l sedan but the Wildtrak is suited to where I live and the Audi wasn't. I'm happy with my car, yes some improvements should be made.

If I wanted to spend 100k I might buy a Merc. Only problem is I'd be too afraid to get it dirty or put a scratch or a dent in it.

I could have bought a second hand range Rover for the same price.... but no warranty and expensive to maintain. Maybe it has bells and whistles but not the car for me.

Last edited by BLACKCRUSADER on Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BlkWildtrak
300 Club

Post by BlkWildtrak »

Nice pictures, really like photo no 5.
BLACKCRUSADER
200 Club

Post by BLACKCRUSADER »

BlkWildtrak wrote:Nice pictures, really like photo no 5.
Driving lights recommended lol. Esp at night lol.

I'm lucky to be living up in these mountains which peak at just under 4000m
Smithyworld
100 Club

Post by Smithyworld »

The title of this post was why discount buy a PXIIRanger 12 months after buying your PX Ranger. I didn't read one point as to why you did upgrade so soon. Maybe this should. Have been titled "why you bout a PXII RANGER instead of the Everest? I was interested in why you did upgrade so quickly...

Ranger Wildtrak 2012
2 inch OME Lift
KMC Rockstar XD 775 17 x 8
Mickey Thompson MTZ 275 65 R17
ARB Sahara Bar
IPF HID Sports
GME UHF
Safari Snorkel
ARB Summit Side Steps
Custom Dual Battery Box
ARB Compressor

http://www.chrissmithphotography.com.au
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Did some mention getting paid to "entertain" jen hawkins. Where do i sign up for that please?
Deestart
25 Club

Post by Deestart »

wakehild wrote:RE - whinge,whinge, whinge, I did alot of research on the internet as part of choosing my car, and the most valuable info was the experiences and sincere information provided by others before me, but by heck, to get it, you have to troll through alot of smart alec comments from brain dead idiots
spot on.
Gunmetal
300 Club

Post by Gunmetal »

trublu wrote:
JSA wrote:I can't believe people's reactions and comments to this post... Somebody simply sharing their opinion and they get shut down with stupid smart ass comments.

Yea I'm sick of smart asses who come on knocking the Ranger on 1st post or two then you don't here from them again, the OP is a TROLL! :x
Well said.