Custom air box

Non Ranger Related Subjects
Corby

Custom air box

Post by Corby »

Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone has fitted custom air intakes to their Px1's successfully? I recently had a stainless box built to hold a 4 inch pod filter then reduced the piping back to standard at the turbo. I did some research before hand and also called the company who did my ecu remap and tune and they said it should be fine as long as the maf sensor was put back in place in the same spot. The thing went absolutely nuts and made some huge induction increases and just generally turned into a weapon but at the same time threw codes say to much air and also to little air at the same time. So after doing some more research to no avail I got creative and created an adapter so that all the piping was exactly the same size as standard and the only thing that had changed was that it was running a different filter. But still nothing worked and it was still throwing codes and going into limp mode. Now obviously the clear choice here is to get it retuned but from what I have heard from talking to poeple is that it may not help. I was just wandering if anyone had successfully made them selves a custom box and filter system and how the got it to stop throwing codes. As I thought that having the sensor in the same spot, in the same diameter pipe and essentially changing nothing but a the type of filter that I surely wouldn't make that much of a difference.
Fondles
300 Club

Re: Custom air box

Post by Fondles »

The adapter you made to return piping to oem dia for the maf sensor.... how far either side of the sensor was it oem dia ?

When I did the cold air intake for our diesel Mazda 2 race cars I was told tubing either side off the maf had to oem dia and atleast 100mm either side and the maf the same distance into the air flow as oem and is it correctly orientated (if you put it in back to front it will chuck a spaz)
I ended up just using oem dia tubing for the whole thing due to packaging constraints but no issue with codes being thrown (black thing on left is a restrictor as required for the class we raced in).

My rides;
2020 Ranger XL+ Hi-Rider.
2014 D40 Navara.
2017 Honda Click 125i (Scooter).
2018 Yamaha XSR 900.
Corby

Post by Corby »

The sensor was the same distance from the filter and the piping and orientation was the same as the oem. That's why it's baffling me
Fondles
300 Club

Post by Fondles »

Corby wrote:The sensor was the same distance from the filter and the piping and orientation was the same as the oem. That's why it's baffling me
The piping, was it same Internal diametre as OEM ?

The sensor placement, was it into the piping the same depth as OEM ?

Can you put up a pic ?
My rides;
2014 D40 Navara.
2018 Yamaha XSR 900.
Corby

Post by Corby »

This is a photo of the box in place with the sensor in the 4' pipe by set further in so it had the same depth as the factory one
Attachments
image.png
Corby

Post by Corby »

Another view of the box
Attachments
image.jpeg
Corby

Post by Corby »

Over all out side the ute.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Fondles
300 Club

Post by Fondles »

Corby wrote:This is a photo of the box in place with the sensor in the 4' pipe by set further in so it had the same depth as the factory one
That explains why it was not happy then, there is too much airflow through the larger pipe, does not explain why if you swapped pipe back to OEM ID though.
My rides;
2014 D40 Navara.
2018 Yamaha XSR 900.
Stefs-cruiser
300 Club

Post by Stefs-cruiser »

interesting concept.

Why did you do this?

Is there a significant restriction across the air filter?
Did you measure it?
I have a Magnehelic gauge, might have a play...

But if the boost pressure after the turbo is controlled, is there much benefit??

Would you know how much it drops in Pa?
Corby

Post by Corby »

Ye I'm not sure why it did it with the smaller pipe either. My only guess is that the pod filter lets a lot more flow through. Although I don't see it being any different to just running a different filter.

My only reason for doing this set up was purely ascetic to start off with in the hope that it would join nicer if I got a stainless snorkel fitted. I have no way of measuring the flow or pressure that it frees up. But can certainly say that I got a s@&t load looser to drive after installing it. To the point where a 5cl diesel could hold off an ss up untill trying to hit 3rd gear haha. I'm no mechanic but I sure did not expect the out come and even when just rigging up a jig to just hold the sensor and pod filter that joins straight into the rubbery plastic piping that was off the orginal air box it still threw codes so I have put the idea on hold for now untill I can find a way to prevent it from going into limp mode and worst case blowing my engine. Was hoping someone would have done it before and be able to give me a way to get it working
Gof379842
300 Club

Post by Gof379842 »

Are you sure one of the rubber hoses has not split (or the intercooler).
limo4b

Post by limo4b »

where the sensor is its supposed to be callibrated for a certain flow across a certain sized orifice, so if it is larger pipe, the sensed flow is less for any given rev....so less fuel injected....i know you have tried to mimic std, but its not worked...id suggest you pay unichip 1500$$ and get them to dyno/install a unichip that will allow the 4 inch, just fudge the afm outputs to suit the ecu.
Bigdogevan
25 Club

Post by Bigdogevan »

I'm interested in doing this but am concerned about the faults coming up. Did you end up getting it sorted in the end? I have a Unichip sitting in the shed waiting to go in after some more mods and I am wondering if anyone knows if it is actually possible to put whatever size intake on and just tune it in on the Unichip?
Ant318

Post by Ant318 »

Could it be that you have not refitted the sensor that measures the pressure drop across the filter?

Tony.
Excouncil
300 Club

Post by Excouncil »

Ant318 wrote:Could it be that you have not refitted the sensor that measures the pressure drop across the filter?

Tony.
Curious about the need for this sort of sensor , from when did it become a standard fit ?
What is wrong with just keeping with the MAF ?
Bigdogevan
25 Club

Post by Bigdogevan »

I finally got around to making up my own airbox similar to yours and I got check/powertrain light on as well. I contacted Unichip to make sure it could be tuned for a 4" intake and they said it could be tuned for any intake. Went in for a Unichip tune as suggested to be told that there is not enough adjustment in the parameters to make the sensor handle a 4" intake. Apparently it is quite critical to have the sensor spaced out the same as factory and have the same length of pipe leading up to the sensor, also must use the same diameter pipe as factory. The factory pipe I.D is about 1-2mm bigger than 3" dairy tube so that's what I'm using for the section with the sensor. The other option is a MAF delete but my tuner hadn't done one on a Ranger before and said it might take a lot of time to program it so I opted not to go down this road.

Still waiting for some pieces to turn up so I can finish it and get it tuned properly. I have scrapped the airbox and mounted a 4" pod filter in the wheel arch reducing to 3" as it enters the engine bay. Basically the only reason I'm doing this is for looks and sound, not expecting any real gain. My tuner informed me that the standard airbox is very well designed and not very restrictive, my understanding is that you don't really need to change it unless you are looking for way more power than what all the bolt on mods will give you.