4x4 without a Bullbar or Winch

Non Ranger Related Subjects
diomac
300 Club

4x4 without a Bullbar or Winch

Post by diomac »

Hi all, my wife really really hates bull bars of any kind. Literally it's the one topic when it comes to her Wildtrak that is off limits and see's me in the dog house if I bring it up. We are planning to do Cape York next year and we will probably do some Vic high country this year in it.

I am wondering how much of a drama not having a bullbar and winch will actually be if at all and it's just me being paranoid. The Wildtrak has a rear locker and is getting a elocker installed in the front, and will have OME 2" BP-51 suspension by the end of next month with good rubber. We won't be alone, we will have 3-4 other capable 4x4's in our convoy and at least 2 of them if not 3 will have winches. Though we will be towing our Cub camper. We aren't looking to do any over the top stuff, for us it's just about getting out there and seeing more of this place. Fraser Island is our local goto spot and the Ranger handles it fine stock.

Do i just forget about the bullbar / winch, or do I sleep on the lounge some more trying to win the day?
GerryP
300 Club

Re: 4x4 without a Bullbar or Winch

Post by GerryP »

You could try showing her the Smartbar Stealth... doesn't look like your average bullbar as it has no loops on it. It comes in a winch compatible version and has mounts for spotties and antenna (which you can't possibly mount on the car without a bar now can we... 8-) )

Here's the link... http://www.smartbar.com.au/ford/stealth-bar/
Download the 'Product Specification' for details and more pics.

Good luck mate. :D
Gerry
MY17 PX2 XLT Supercab
Restoring... '65 XP Falcon Futura Hardtop
Stefs-cruiser
300 Club

Post by Stefs-cruiser »

You don't 'need' a bulbar and winch.
if you are traveling in a group, then don't sweat it...

If towing and traveling solo, then I would reconsider.

That's my opinion anyway..
Dipstik
300 Club

Post by Dipstik »

Like the others have said, maybe just buy a cheap plastic front bar $50 and leave the wild track one nice for when your back as i think your will damage it,but when your older and grumpier you will just buy the bull bar and which!
Mickkk
25 Club

Post by Mickkk »

Smart bar, or Rhino bar.
But winches are over rated unless you are real,y planing to push the boundaries by your self.
Most bars are screwed with a strike now days anyway.
But if you do t go a bar, be sure to get some rated recovery points, so if the poop does hit the fan you can get recovered safely.
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

[quote="Mickkk"]Smart bar, or Rhino bar.
But winches are over rated unless you are really planning to push the boundaries by your self.

Lol. Until you get bogged...
baz
25 Club

Post by baz »

pulling a camper means you going to be playing safe anyways and you have support.
I do not have a bull bar or winch yet but do have 2inch lift plus 18s and 65 series tyres. I will say my plastic bumper has taken a few knocks and regularly pops out where it meats the chassis (more due to the lack of approach the oem bumper offers really). Just make sure any tricky stuff where you cant snatch safely from that one of your winch buddies are ahead or behind
Hoyks
300 Club

Post by Hoyks »

I did the cape solo with standard height suspension in the front, up rated springs in the back and no bar. I got a dinged sill on Gunshot,bit that was all.

Frenchmans track and Nolans Brook I gave a miss, but for the whole trip I didn't need my tirfor winch or any recovery gear for me. I did damage tree trunk protector and broke a shovel digging out a Landcruiser, but the ute drove every thing I pointed it at.
Boots
300 Club

Post by Boots »

I'd add a superior engineering bash plate which comes with a rated recovery point. Only around $500 and you've got something solid to hook onto. If you get bogged with a camper on the back it's going to be a big snatch or winch for someone else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
diomac
300 Club

Post by diomac »

Okay change of plans, after making my case again the lovely wife has agreed to a Uneek 4x4 Crawler with a Carbon winch. So I will put the elocker off for the time being. Happy result.
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

diomac wrote:Okay change of plans, after making my case again the lovely wife has agreed to a Uneek 4x4 Crawler with a Carbon winch. So I will put the elocker off for the time being. Happy result.
Very nice bit of kit. the bullbar for those that want a bullbar thats discreet! Cheers 8-)
Son of Sun

Post by Son of Sun »

Money well spent. There are alot of cooling radiators just behind that plastic grill. One animal strike and your going no where. A winch, only if you want to go it alone, otherwise save your money.
Jalito
300 Club

Post by Jalito »

So you only need a winch if you do not have other travelling mates ready to save your ass with their own winch? Leave you jack too... you can always borrow one.

Even in a group, it will not be difficult to find yourself in a situation where having your own winch will save you plenty of time and effort. Just get stuck in a steep track.
Jalito
300 Club

Post by Jalito »

I have my doubts about the protection afforded by bullbars without loops. I cannot see how they will prevent a kangaroo from damaging the central grill and possibly radiator, or the headlights. Are there studies comparing traditional and looplessbbars? Or personal experiences?
Pecker
25 Club

Post by Pecker »

Jalito wrote:I have my doubts about the protection afforded by bullbars without loops. I cannot see how they will prevent a kangaroo from damaging the central grill and possibly radiator, or the headlights. Are there studies comparing traditional and looplessbbars? Or personal experiences?
I'm sort of thinking along the same line. The uneek ones look good but the corners of the ute still look vulnerable IMO.
diomac
300 Club

Post by diomac »

Having lived in north Queensland half of my life and spent a fair bit of it on a farm I am absolutely not buying a bullbar for the "protection" factor. I have only ever kit a roo once in 30 years and that was in an old Triumph, certainly didn't need a bullbar then.

I've also seen many a 4wd with bullbars been badly damaged by a strike to the point where it couldn't have been driven and therefore rendered the "protection" argument a moot point. In fact I had one recently at work, where one of our new Landcruisers with full ARB Summit bar work had to be towed after a roo stike near condo.

I also like the idea of not impeding the vehicles crumple zones from doing their job and bleeding energy away from the passengers. I want the bar to mount the winch and some other bits too and provide better ground clearance. It also won't obstruct the recovery points.
baz
25 Club

Post by baz »

diomac wrote:Having lived in north Queensland half of my life and spent a fair bit of it on a farm I am absolutely not buying a bullbar for the "protection" factor. I have only ever kit a roo once in 30 years and that was in an old Triumph, certainly didn't need a bullbar then.

I've also seen many a 4wd with bullbars been badly damaged by a strike to the point where it couldn't have been driven and therefore rendered the "protection" argument a moot point. In fact I had one recently at work, where one of our new Landcruisers with full ARB Summit bar work had to be towed after a roo stike near condo.

I also like the idea of not impeding the vehicles crumple zones from doing their job and bleeding energy away from the passengers. I want the bar to mount the winch and some other bits too and provide better ground clearance. It also won't obstruct the recovery points.

Well said and that would be my only reason for a bar aswell
Gof379842
300 Club

Post by Gof379842 »

It really depends on the level the animal hits at, l have accounted for three kangaroos and one emu with my various 4WD's all with bull bars and the only one that could have ended with a walk home was the emu, it hit right on radiator level, all the roos were relatively small and went under. That being said I was out with my brother in his Suzy 4WD when he hit a big red, it came over the bonnet and hit the wind screen, bending both A pillars and skinning all the knuckles on both his hands (he was holding the steering wheel at the top) when the laminated screen caved in. The only damage to the roo was a broken leg from the top bar.