Transmission problems and Dash Warnings

Non Ranger Related Subjects
Coxey
25 Club

Transmission problems and Dash Warnings

Post by Coxey »

G'day all,

Firstly, let me say how happy I am with my truck and I'm confident I have purchased the best vehicle in the class. But I now have some ongoing problems that the dealership does not seem to resolve. They are keen to have a crack but i feel that I need to provide them with the solution to the problem before anything is fixed. Let me begin with the issues:

Transmission holds gears up and down hills, even at 80 ks this thing loves going to fourth gear. On top of that I get a random warning stating that the "Transmission is not in park" whilst I'm driving. No handbrake engaged, vehicle in drive and moving. This can be reset by hitting the OK button, but today it upped the ante. Whilst driving, the vehicle shutdown the motor and the dash with the exception of one screen with the Not in park warning. Vehicle was in drive, ignition on and travelling at about 30ks as I was taking a right hand turn. Very concerning.. I've noticed that I have overshot 2 intersections in the last couple of days and I feel this is because the vehicle is not dropping gears and engine braking. I drive these roads constantly and I left foot brake so my feel is pretty good.

On top of this, I get random warnings that my "Pre Collision assist not available" and "Adaptive Cruise control not available). They tend to come good once the vehicle is turned off and started again.

I have the ARB summit bar with the parking sensor issue. Anyone out there with a Wildtrak and a summit bar know what I'm talking about. Ford have tried to fix on 3 occasions with the last using the ARB warranty kit but the problems persist. Constantly going off for no bloody reason. Only fix is to switch off but that brings about other problems. My wife was driving the other day and switched off the traction and the sensors whilst driving a back road in the Yarra Valley. No traction, fresh rain and all terrain tyres. Vehicle steeped out on a 80K corner but she managed to control it. Grew up in NZ driving LC's. I've also reversed into a tree stump with the stupid things off, my fault really for relying on them.

Last complaint would be the ARB OME suspension, I have the two inch lift and this things squeaks like the vehicle has done 500,000 ks of corrugation driving. ARB don't give two Fks. If I had my time again I would of dropped the 15K on accessories elsewhere.

If anyone out there has had similar issues or have known fixes please let me know.

Coxey
On Order - Aluminium Wildtrak
With - ARB Summit bull bar, ARB bash plate, ARB Tow hitch, ARB Ascent canopy.
TBA - Suspension upgrade, lighting and winch.
saeb
Site Admin

Re: Transmission problems and Dash Warnings

Post by saeb »

Coxey,

OEM, make sure they greased the bushes properly. Also there were replacement yellow spacers between the leafs that was meant to stop the squeaking.

Transmission not in park should normally only come on if the door is left ajar whilst driving. Possibly faulty micro switch switch on latch mech. But do check all doors a closed properly when this happens.

Transmission will downshift on hills and more so when you dab the brake. I believe it takes brakes and tilt from ABS module to perform this operation. Mine will drop to 4th at times. It will hold 4th if going up incline when cold. Once warm it will not. Check if your TCM has been updated by Ford. Also remember these boxes have adaptive learning, get it cleared by Ford. It can also be paused by Ford. I cleared mine with no noticeable affect but never paused it.

I think everybody would have had "Pre Collision assist not available" and "Adaptive Cruise control not available" at some time. Faulty radar sensor? As that is all that should cause it. Check wring to this as it maybe damaged from when bullbar was fitted.

Since performing updates to nearly every module in the Vehicle I have had none of these issues or any of the other issues outlined on this forum.

I notice you are just up the road from me. Feel free to pop in and we can do some updates and see what happens. Also go through fault codes etc and give you some extra features on your vehicle if you want.

Stewart
Stewart

Ford PX2 Supercab 2015 Automatic

All donations are put back into the projects that I undertake and share with the community.

http://www.saeb.net Ranger Mods
Sports
200 Club

Post by Sports »

Coxey
25 Club

Post by Coxey »

Thanks Stewart,

Glad to hear some the issues are common and not of concern.

I reckon that you might be onto something with the trans, the first time I noticed it the drivers door was ajar. The second time when the engine lost power and the dash lights was a different situation I reckon. Ive noticed after that that the trans does not want to kick down unless the pedal is against the firewall now. I managed to speak to Ford and some to the lad that sold me the car before they closed this arvo. They want me to bring it in first thing Monday for a look over. A little problematic considering that my partner is 3 days overdue with our second kid. Our other car collected a sambar deer and is fked now since the repair and sits in the carport whilst the ombudsman deals with the insurance company.

Checked the suspension mate and you nailed it. No spacers to be seen. I really am disappointed with ARB service post purchase. It's like dealing with a Volkswagen dealership. Ringwood Ford fitted all the accessories perfectly apart from the suspension (ARB did this) and that is what I'm having problems with.

I appreciate the offer to have a look over the car. I'll let Ford have a go and let you know how I go. Do you have your own workshop? If you work on diesels I may have some work for you mate.

Cheers - Coxey
saeb
Site Admin

Post by saeb »

Coxey wrote:Thanks Stewart,

Glad to hear some the issues are common and not of concern.

I reckon that you might be onto something with the trans, the first time I noticed it the drivers door was ajar. The second time when the engine lost power and the dash lights was a different situation I reckon. Ive noticed after that that the trans does not want to kick down unless the pedal is against the firewall now. I managed to speak to Ford and some to the lad that sold me the car before they closed this arvo. They want me to bring it in first thing Monday for a look over. A little problematic considering that my partner is 3 days overdue with our second kid. Our other car collected a sambar deer and is fked now since the repair and sits in the carport whilst the ombudsman deals with the insurance company.

Checked the suspension mate and you nailed it. No spacers to be seen. I really am disappointed with ARB service post purchase. It's like dealing with a Volkswagen dealership. Ringwood Ford fitted all the accessories perfectly apart from the suspension (ARB did this) and that is what I'm having problems with.

I appreciate the offer to have a look over the car. I'll let Ford have a go and let you know how I go. Do you have your own workshop? If you work on diesels I may have some work for you mate.

Cheers - Coxey
The spacers may be there but I think the originals were black? Anyway newest yellow ones are meant to resolve it plus loads of grease on the poly bushes.

I'm me and only me. I have a carport and a brain :) Sorry not going to start rebuilding engines too. See my thread below if you want to see what I have been upto.

Good luck for Monday.
Stewart

All donations are put back into the projects that I undertake and share with the community.

Craig001
300 Club

Post by Craig001 »

I have had the transmission and traction control issues come on my dash more than once. I put it down to just ghost codes as the next time I cycled the ignition on and off fault was gone. I have also had pre-collision warnings come up but as before codes cleared themselves and in 4 months it has only happened 3 times.
I will be at the Ranger Meetup or I am happy to let stewart have a look before hand ?
PM me or let me know of the cure ??
2016 XLT Auto Supercab
Touring Canopy + Accessories

Cheers Craig.
Coxey
25 Club

Post by Coxey »

G'day Craig,

Thanks for the reply mate. I'm going into Ford tomorrow for them to have a look. I'll post how I go.

Just had a chat to my partner and it looks like I will be attending the Ranger get together too. Looking forward to it.
saeb
Site Admin

Post by saeb »

Was there any satisfactory outcome Coxey?
Stewart

Coxey
25 Club

Post by Coxey »

Hi Stewart,

Have not been yet. Partner still pregnant and having twinges. If Ford want to keep the car I'm without baby seats as other car is stuffed thanks to a sambar deer. I'll keep you posted mate as I plan on getting the 15000 k service and the trans looked at together in the coming week. Will be pushing for Ford to silence that bloody door chime as I read in one of your threads.

I have confirmed for the Ranger trip too. She be good fun.
Randolph

Post by Randolph »

Has anyone had problems with Traction Control and Engine Management control light( orange light that looks like a cog ) coming on an vehicle going into Limp Mode . I was towing a 2.8 tonne caravan at the time, pulled off the road and shut it down . Started it up again after 5 minutes and when putting it into gear the transmission and motor shook violently It seemed as though it had broken engine mounts Called roadside assist and about 20 minutes later the lights had gone off and the selection of gears was fine . The NRMA guy put a scanning tool on it and showed no errors, unhappy with not finding a problem I had it and the caravan towed home . When I got home I hooked the van up and had to park at the side of our house which is a low range job up hill and hard work, the ranger showed no signs what so ever of having a problem nor has it since although I haven't hooked the van since.Have taken the car to 2 mechanics and a auto electrician and they can't find anything wrong or no error codes. My problem is having faith in the vehicle if and when we decide to do another big trip We have already done a lap with it and never had an ounce of problems. If someone else has had the same problem or could shed some light on this concern it would be more than appreciated Cheers