Club 4x4 Insurance

Non Ranger Related Subjects
diomac
300 Club

Club 4x4 Insurance

Post by diomac »

Is anyone with Club 4x4 Insurance?

I am considering a move to them to cover my Wildtrak and Cub Camper but I am confused with their messaging. I am happy with the insurer I have now other than they won't cover my Cub as they don't do campers. So to have both on the one policy I was looking at Club 4x4 and they gave me a really good quote.

Only thing is publicly they continue to assert in newsletters and articles online that they cover non-roadworthy vehicles. Ie suspension, tyre, wheel track, lighting modifications etc that render a 4x4 unroadworthy.

However their PDS does not support those claims, in fact it goes out of it's way to state the exact opposite.

The PDS on Page 18 states;

"If you contributed to the loss or intended the claim to happen
You will not be covered under the policy for any loss, damage or legal liability if at the time of the event giving rise to the loss, damage or legal liability:"

and the PDS Supplement clearly in plan english says;

"Page 18 – If you contributed to the loss or intended the claim to happen
your vehicle was converted, altered or modified from its manufacturer’s specifications and is no longer roadworthy or legal within the state it is registered"

On one hand they tell people they are covered for these non complying modifications if they have an at fault event, but then they also refer people back to the PDS in their newsletters and articles;
"should not be viewed as a substitute for appropriately looking through your PDS before deciding to take up coverage with Club 4X4."

The PDS is the legally binding contract, and it is very clearly saying if you have an at fault event and you have modifications to your vehicle that render it unroadworthy you will not be covered. I have asked them about this but the answer is they have never denied a claim but to refer back to the PDS and no comment about the articles.

This seems to me to be very conflicting information that gives them a legal out if they find a claim they don't like, and flies in the face of everything they state publicly.

What I find odd is they want out of their way in the PDS supplement to categorically rule out cover for unroadworthy vehicles. I would be interested to know who the underwriter is for Club 4x4 Insurance. I bet the underwriter's legal dept had final say on the PDS.

Don't get me wrong I expect this in the PDS, it's inline with every other insurer. Only difference is Club 4x4 make claims that aren't supported by the legally binding PDS. Everything else if just puffery.

What are people's thoughts on this, it doens't overly effect me as I have made sure all my modifications comply with Queensland legislation however I also don't like doing business with companies that are anything but straight up and down. I have no time for questionable operators.
Dunbyu
200 Club

Re: Club 4x4 Insurance

Post by Dunbyu »

If you are legal and registered you are covered from that statement. Lots of members here use them and are happy use the search function and have a read.
2017 Ingot Silver Wildtrak
SU22TU
100 Club

Post by SU22TU »

Diomac,

Page 25 of Club 4x4's PDS
http://www.club4x4.com.au/pds/motor-pro ... tement.pdf
Your duty of disclosure
We rely on the information you provide us with, to decide whether to
insure you and the terms on which we will insure you.
Let them know of your modifications, eg how much lift you have from standard, wheels and tyres you have decided, bar work, if its over GVM and what you have done to correct it etc.
If they cover you, make sure its in the Contract they give you.

Now its always up to you to keep your rig 'Legal' and you personally will have to do the right research according to your state.

HEIGHT
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/roa ... height.pdf
NSW - Suspension 50mm - Wheel/tyre diameter 50mm ~ 75mm lift total

WIDTH
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/roa ... 9-rev4.pdf
NSW - 2inch increase in rim width and 25mm track increase (both to comply)

I will have a 2" lift and 18x9 +-0 wheels and 285/65 R18 on my car, that i already know is outside ADR and illegal (over 77mm lift, and 135.4mm track increase)
Lets say I rear end someone, a representative of Club 4x4 verbally told me the lift kit couldn't have contributed to the acco but the tyre choice might etc

Lets say i got T-Boned and my rig was flipped/rolled, a representative of Club 4x4 verbally told me the lift kit is within legal height but the tyre/wheel combo renders it over the legal 75mm so if measured and is to be the case... i would not be covered. Keyword IF

In the PDS there's a point on page 18
• your vehicle was converted, altered or modified from its
manufacturer’s specifications and we have not agreed in writing to
accept the risk of your vehicle in such modified condition
Magnetic '17 FX4 | Green '99 Mirage with 4G63 | Green '99 Mirage | Red '98 Mirage with 4G93T | Green '91 S13 K's | Shiro White '17 370Z
Jalito
300 Club

Post by Jalito »

Is it realistic to distinguish a 75mm from a 77 mm lift. The atmospheric conditions, tyre pressure or amount of people and/or fuel would cause that difference. I bet their is within the margin of error of measuring the same vehicle on different days by different people, even with the exact same load.

What 4x4 does not want to tell is they cover any modification. But I doubt they will deny claims on the grounds a lift was 2 mm over legal encause their 4wd customers would abandon them in throves, and they don't have another customer base. Your problems really start when you have what any reasonable person would judge well over the limit. That's what their public statements communicate. There is a podcast in 4x4 earth that is quite clear on this point.
SU22TU
100 Club

Post by SU22TU »

Jalito wrote:Is it realistic to distinguish a 75mm from a 77 mm lift. The atmospheric conditions, tyre pressure or amount of people and/or fuel would cause that difference. I bet their is within the margin of error of measuring the same vehicle on different days by different people, even with the exact same load.

What 4x4 does not want to tell is they cover any modification. But I doubt they will deny claims on the grounds a lift was 2 mm over legal encause their 4wd customers would abandon them in throves, and they don't have another customer base. Your problems really start when you have what any reasonable person would judge well over the limit. That's what their public statements communicate. There is a podcast in 4x4 earth that is quite clear on this point.
Yea that's it, they seem lenient/reasonable. Hence i said 'IF'
Once I get my ranger, if I ever get my ranger I will insure it with them.
Let them know and/or update them of my mods for the length of my insurance term.

All will be good :)
Magnetic '17 FX4 | Green '99 Mirage with 4G63 | Green '99 Mirage | Red '98 Mirage with 4G93T | Green '91 S13 K's | Shiro White '17 370Z
Spilsy
200 Club

Post by Spilsy »

Im with Club 4x4 and havent any issues at all.
Club 4x4 is underwritten by Hollards - its probably worth looking at their history as well.

Now, if your car is modified illegally, you have bigger issues in an accident (or in general) than whether or not your insurance policy will cover you...
It's like people who speed whinging that they keep getting speeding tickets...
SPILSY - Today is the tomorrow you were s******* yourself about yesterday - Billy Thorpe

My Rig: http://newranger.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8910
stasik-a4
300 Club

Post by stasik-a4 »

My PX was with them and everything was listed for close to 75K, the new 200 is going with them also as i love how everything is listed and covered with no questions asked and reasonably priced also.