Legal wheels for Rangers

Non Ranger Related Subjects
Jaz

Legal wheels for Rangers

Post by Jaz »

Hey folks,

In my reading last night (I can't post from Tapatalk for some reason...) I noticed there was some consternation around getting "legal" wheels to fit a Ranger within over tracking regulations etc. One of the things my day job does is I work for a business that provides websites to tyre shops that has a wheel selector on it. Basically, due to the algorithm behind the websites, all wheels recommended by the system are within national code of practice, and thus will be legal in the eyes of the plod. The other thing is that it recommends a tyre size that is closest to the OEM rolling diameter. Anyway, I didn't want to turn this into an ad, but thought you guys might get some kicks out of using it for searching for new wheels. Check below for a good example, but they may not carry ALL wheel brands:

XLT 4x4: https://www.tyrepowercampbelltownnsw.co ... ab-pick-up

XL 4x2: https://www.tyrepowercampbelltownnsw.co ... 2d-pick-up

I'm badgering them to get a PX2 in there, but it seems as an update it doesn't rate a new image... sigh.

Anyway, have fun!

For reference, I, for one, am going +20 offset ;)
ira11y
300 Club

Re: Legal wheels for Rangers

Post by ira11y »

+20 will be illegal, +35 is the max you can go on a ranger to conform to the ADR's.
Cheers
Michael

Without quantifiable facts there are merely opinions. Opinions are like an anus, everybody's got one!
SU22TU
100 Club

Post by SU22TU »

ira11y wrote:+20 will be illegal, +35 is the max you can go on a ranger to conform to the ADR's.
That statement is not entirely correct...

WIDTH
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/roa ... 9-rev4.pdf
NSW - 26mm increase in rim width and 25mm wheel track increase (both to comply) without required RTA notice

Lets say we're dealing with XLT (17x8 +55) and Wildtraks (18x8 +55) for now...
To comply with the rules and stay within ADR, theoretically anything with a lower offset than +42.5mm on a 8" wide wheel wont conform to ADR.
(Still wont fill the stock guards)

Mathematically, you are allowed 25mm, half that means 12.5mm on either side.

'Wheels that exceed the diameter and width limits for minor wheel changes must be assessed by a signatory. If the
signatory finds that the wheels are safe for your vehicle, you will be issued with an engineering certificate.' - Pg 3 of attached link

Then again the widest wheels that can be legally be engineered is 2 inches wider...again page 3 of link :)
Magnetic '17 FX4 | Green '99 Mirage with 4G63 | Green '99 Mirage | Red '98 Mirage with 4G93T | Green '91 S13 K's | Shiro White '17 370Z
Jaz

Post by Jaz »

ira11y wrote:+20 will be illegal, +35 is the max you can go on a ranger to conform to the ADR's.
Not exactly the comment I was going for. I know that these wheels are outside the legal limits, but that wasn't the crux of the post. The crux is more that if people want to find a legal set of wheels for their ranger (I'm not one of them, obviously), then it's possible to use one of the above links to work out what IS actually available.

I noticed other folks stating that they couldn't really find anything that legally fit, while there are definitely wheels out there that definitely do. Hence the post.
naddis01
300 Club

Post by naddis01 »

I think when they say they can't find anything, it is more a case that they can't find anything that looks good that is legal.
diomac
300 Club

Post by diomac »

QLD is a bit different from NSW it would seem;
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct= ... 03RkIhdp2w

G19 states for passenger cars the rim offset must not be changed by more than 12.5mm, however the wheel track of off-road four wheel drive vehicles and goods vehicles must not be increased by more than 50mm beyond
the maximum specified by the vehicle manufacturer for the particular model. If a solid axle from another manufacturer is used, the wheel track may be increased by 50mm beyond the maximum specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that particular axle, provided all other requirements such as clearances are meet and the tyres do not protrude outside of the vehicle bodywork.

+30 is the limit to stay legal in Qld.
naddis01
300 Club

Post by naddis01 »

VSI 09 is the relevant document in NSW but then there is also the National Code of Practice VSB14. I've asked the RMS which one takes precedent but they couldn't tell me as VSB14 is much less restrictive than VSI09. Surely VSB14 is the most relevant as it was released in 2015 and is a National Code of Practice where as VSI09 is around 14 years old.

VSI09 also has this little tidbit that most people don't mention...
Four wheel drive vehicles
Except where the original manufacturer provides to the contrary, the maximum width of front wheels is the lesser of the maximum width for rear wheels or 204mm (8 inches), the front and rear wheel widths must be the same.
So If VSI09 is the document to follow in NSW, basically you are stuck with 8" wide wheels on a Ranger which rules out many aftermarket rims without certification.

It also says that the maximum track change is 25mm. So that means the lowest offset you can go is +42.5mm on a Ranger.

Can anyone confirm which is the applicable document in NSW?
Stefs-cruiser
300 Club

Post by Stefs-cruiser »

so a questions for the OP Jaz, if different states have different requirements, what does the Tyrepower website actually use?
Is it smart enough to differentiate between the different states?

I run Pos 30, as I am in Qld, and at the time I did the checking, its what I found to be the maximum..
Jaz

Post by Jaz »

Hey Stefs-cruiser,

I just spoke to the lead data guy, and the system uses the national code of practice for matching wheels and tyres to vehicles. So, the national code of practice says that the track of passenger cars must not be increased by more than 25mm beyond the maximum specified, or 12.5mm each side. This means that the wheels recommended by the system on the Tyrepower site above recommends wheels that fit within that offset bracket. So it would have recommended fitments between +55 and +42.5 (I haven't looked it up to confirm that it is 55 btw), which is legal in all states. If a state differentiates, it doesn't actually go down to that level unfortunately - that's when talking to your local tyre guy should give the right answers.

Hope that helps!

Jaz
diomac
300 Club

Post by diomac »

Jaz wrote:that's when talking to your local tyre guy should give the right answers
That's a bloody big should, you'd be lucky if most of them even knew what offset was these days. It would be nice if wheel companies etc would let you filter by offset ranges, would make looking for wheels much quicker.
naddis01
300 Club

Post by naddis01 »

Jaz wrote:Hey Stefs-cruiser,

I just spoke to the lead data guy, and the system uses the national code of practice for matching wheels and tyres to vehicles. So, the national code of practice says that the track of passenger cars must not be increased by more than 25mm beyond the maximum specified, or 12.5mm each side. This means that the wheels recommended by the system on the Tyrepower site above recommends wheels that fit within that offset bracket. So it would have recommended fitments between +55 and +42.5 (I haven't looked it up to confirm that it is 55 btw), which is legal in all states. If a state differentiates, it doesn't actually go down to that level unfortunately - that's when talking to your local tyre guy should give the right answers.

Hope that helps!

Jaz
50mm in the NCOP for 4x4s
Stefs-cruiser
300 Club

Post by Stefs-cruiser »

The database needs to include the vehicle class.
Our Ranger is MC which in the national code allows 50mm increase (25mm per side)
The MA class vehicles would be limited to a 25mm increase or 12.5mm per side
Jaz

Post by Jaz »

Stefs-cruiser wrote:The database needs to include the vehicle class.
Our Ranger is MC which in the national code allows 50mm increase (25mm per side)
The MA class vehicles would be limited to a 25mm increase or 12.5mm per side
Just checked with the data provider on this one, and they do use the 50mm for SUV, but also they use other wheel fitment guides on a per-vehicle basis. Here's some of what they said:

"We reference a number of fitment guides to check what is working on a particular vehicle. The fitment guides are a good source of information & tell us if modifications etc are required.
We play it safe & don’t recommend wheels that will require fender rolling etc"

So it's not a blanket one-size-fits-all across all vehicles of a specific type - each is added individually. It still provides over 70 wheel matches for the XLT Ranger 4x4, whereas folks have previously said it's hard to find wheels to fit them.
ira11y
300 Club

Post by ira11y »

Ok. so after some of the previous comments, I felt I needed to do a bit of digging, that digging led all the way back to discussing this with the vehicle safety standards people in govt. My original thought was what exactly is the vehicle category code, that led me to this website page (for my vehicle, 2015 XLT PX2) and you can clearly see a designation of "NA"

http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/perl/432 ... 083317.cmd

and a description of the designations

https://www.nhvr.gov.au/files/201511-02 ... tables.pdf

Now after doing a bit of a search I couldn't find a designation for "NA" so I went back to vehicle standards and after a week of emails I finally got someone in gumbyment who was prepared to put in some effort and got the following response this morning.

Good Morning Michael,

Now that I have some more content as to the nature of your questions I can help you some more.

A motor vehicle has to comply with the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989 before it can be supplied to the market by a manufacturer. The Ford Ranger is an approved vehicle type under that act. As Jo originally said it is classified under NA vehicle category which is for light commercial vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes gross vehicle mass. A description of vehicle categories can be found in section 4 of Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule – Definitions and Vehicle Categories) 2005.

For other information on the Australian Design Rules (ADR), please click here.

On that second link you will see the ADR Applicability Summaries, there is one for N category vehicles which will tell you what ADRs apply to your vehicle type.

With regards to finding out what category your vehicle is, it is printed on your Identification Plate which is located on the left hand B pillar.

The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator is just that, the heavy vehicle regulator and does not regulate light vehicles (vehicles under 4.5 tonnes gross vehicle mass). They are not part of this Department and do not issue identification plate approvals to new vehicle types. As far as I know, they also do not deal with vehicle modifications yet, even heavy vehicles, but that may have changed recently.

Have you seen Vehicle Standards Bulletin 14 (VSB 14)? If not please click here. VSB 14 is used by the state and territories to regulate modifications on production vehicles once they have been supplied to the market. They use engineering signatories to provide certification to these modifications. These engineering signatories along with the technical standards section of whichever state you are in will be able to advise you which way to go with the modifications you are intending to perform.

I trust this information will assist you.

Regards,
Acting Assistant Director | New Vehicle Certification
Vehicle Safety Standards | Surface Transport Policy
Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development
GPO Box 594, Canberra ACT 2601
t 02 6274 ****
****************@infrastructure.gov.au | w http://www.infrastructure.gov.au

So the designation NA says the vehicle is classed as Light Commercial Vehicle under 3.5 tonnes. Not MC or MA.
4.5.5. LIGHT GOODS VEHICLE (NA)

A goods vehicle with a ‘Gross Vehicle Mass‘ not exceeding 3.5 tonnes.
Also under NCOP it is in sub category NA2
LIGHT GOODS VEHICLE (NA)
Sub-category
NA1* up to 2.7 tonnes GVM.
NA2* over 2.7 tonnes GVM
Under the ADR Applicability Summary found HERE ADR 24/00, 24/01 and 24/02 apply to NA vehicles. However they have now been superseded by ADR 42/05 20/02/2006.

ADR 42/05 can be found HERE and the area that specifically applies is section 25.
25.1. Tyres and rims recommended for passenger cars must be listed in the Tyre and Rim Standards Manual published by either the Tyre and Rim Association of Australia, the (US) Tire and Rim Association Inc. Year Book, the Japan Automobile Tire Manufacturers Association Year Book, the Japanese Industrial Standards (JIS-D4202) “Dimensions of Tires” and (JIS-D4218) “Contours of Rims”, or the European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation (E.T.R.T.O.) Data Book.
At this point I have been unable to find a copy of the TRAA online, they have a latest listing you can buy for 2017. If someone has one for reference that would be excellent.

There is also the NCOP that has not been fully adopted by all states to consider. It comes under VSB14 found HERE

In NSW The Vehicle Standards Information Guidelines don't even reference which vehicles it applies to so it may not consider NA as a light vehicle, lets assume for a moment it does. VSI 6 can be found HERE and it states..
Be aware that while some of the listed modifications apply to specific vehicle types (eg items 49 to 52 apply specifically to motorcycles), the significant modifications shown in the tables may apply to all vehicle types.
It then goes on to reference VSI 9 which can be found HERE

Basically it states the following..
Sometimes the range of wheels listed by the manufacturer may appear to be limited. While it is recommended that you only fit these wheels, the RTA does not oppose the fitting of wheels outside the range providing they are safe for the vehicle.

An important requirement for all replacement wheels is that the wheel track must not be increased by more than 25mm beyond the maximum specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that vehicle.

Where non original axle or suspension components are fitted, the offset of the wheel in relation to the axle or stub axle assembly used shall not be increased by more than 12.5mm each side of the vehicle based on the specifications of the axle components used.

If an axle assembly is shortened then the track width limit is taken as the axle manufacturers original track dimension, less the amount the assembly has been narrowed, plus 25mm.
So back to my original statement, 25mm per side offset as I originally believed is incorrect, SU22TU was correct in his details, essentially in NSW you can only increase your Rim offset by 12.5mm so your max legal offset unless you narrow your diff width will be +42.5mm

The vehicle classification makes no change to the NCOP requirements in NSW.

This will either clear it all up or raise a million more questions :lol:
Last edited by ira11y on Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Michael

Without quantifiable facts there are merely opinions. Opinions are like an anus, everybody's got one!
Stefs-cruiser
300 Club

Post by Stefs-cruiser »

Great work Michael...

I am in QLD and it would seem that even if it is NA,NB or MC we can still increase the track by up to 50mm

4.2.11 on page 22

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct= ... LoehVGwsdw
ira11y
300 Club

Post by ira11y »

Stefs-cruiser wrote:Great work Michael...

I am in QLD and it would seem that even if it is NA,NB or MC we can still increase the track by up to 50mm
I am jealous :(
Cheers
Michael

Sports
200 Club

Post by Sports »

Stefs-cruiser wrote:
Lucky for me as I didn't consider that when I put +30's on