Ranger longevity

Non Ranger Related Subjects
pxmustd

Ranger longevity

Post by pxmustd »

Hi all just wondering how your cars are holding up especially those of you with high kms. Mine has just clicked over 135000klm and is starting to get me a little worried. Has just had the in tank fuel pumped replaced after failing and has now developed a leak from transfer case front driveshaft. Up until now everything else has been great. My brother has an identical one as we both use for work but his has done 60000klms and has just had new clutch/flywheel replaced under warranty as well as rear main seal. Both are 2013 2.2 manuals. Will be needing it to last for a few more years yet. Any way intersted in hearing of others especially with high kms as I'm doing about 9000klms a year.
macmanluke
300 Club

Re: Ranger longevity

Post by macmanluke »

front transfer case seal is pretty common issue. Mine was done twice under warranty.
pxmustd

Post by pxmustd »

Hopefully not too hard ill be changing myself tomorrow.
Normalbloke
100 Club

Post by Normalbloke »

We've just taken delivery of a 3.2 Wildtrak here in the UK. It's a lovely truck. Couldn't be happier with it. However, we have chosen to lease ours. We have crunched the numbers many times,and factoring in depreciation and post warranty liability, leasing was the right decision for us. We also made this decision based on modern car durability ( or lack of). They simply do not build them to last, like they used to.no manufacturer is immune. Having previously had a VW Caravele, where it would cost the best part of £1k every time the light came on. Having spent almost 2 months with our truck, I'm pretty sure I would not want to own it outside of the warranty period. There are some pretty shoddy plastics, and a look under the bonnet also leans to built down to the lowest price possible. A quick,look at the carpet and headlining also hint at how durable it's not going to be.I don't think it's unique to the Ranger either. The more modern vehicles I drive, the more I like my old stuff!
Ningkeptune
25 Club

Post by Ningkeptune »

Our BT50, I bought mid October 2014 with 57K or so on it. I'm about to hit 100,000Km in the next week.

Issues I've had are the rivets falling out of the transmission oil cooler heat shield causing a rattle. Fixed with a couple of short bolts instead. At the last service which was about 91,000 km they replaced the drivers side rear brake piston since they thought it was weeping. There was no loss of fluid or function detectable to me - done under warranty. I had a cooling hose chafe from gear oil cooler to water pump, it rubs somewhere under the fuel filter assembly. I found this only because I could smell the coolant when i got out. Lost only about a coffee cup full of coolant, it was weeping only at normal gentle rpm and only sprayed out fast at high revs (over 3,000). I cut it on the leak and used a couple of jubilee clamps on a brass hose barb for a few days waiting for Mazda to get the hose in stock. That too was replaced under warranty. I've mentioned on here before, that its sounds nosier (injector noise) than it should. I occasionally run a bottle of 2T Stroke oil with a tank of fuel which I think quietens it down and live with it now.

I had a battery fail and replaced it. The jump start required or low voltage messed with the ECU a bit but a couple of shut down restarts cycles sorted that.

Mods wise, I've blanked off the EGR at the low 70K mark from memory. I documented that here too in the EGR giant thread. Plus I threw away the s*** OEM headlight bulbs replaced them with hella 100/90w ones.

I still get the un-even idle thing going on sometimes when going very slowly foot off the throttle, but it seems to have always done it. I hardly notice it now.

In summary, we average 4,000k a month and I'm still very very happy with it. In fact I'd say the engine is feels better now than it ever has, perhaps it needs 100,000km to run in properly.
pxmustd

Post by pxmustd »

Hope your right about just bieng run in at 100000 cause mine will have about 400 plus by end of lease and fingers crossed will still be running same engine and gear box. Changed the transfer seal tonight which took 2 days a new compresser and a lot of swearing as the center nut was as good as welded on from ford. The fluid in the case came out looking like muddy water which i couldnt believe so its fast tracked my gearbox and diff oil changes to asap. dont know what ford put in there but it wasnt designed to do over 100000 kms . Highly recommend others with around the 100kay mark to start changing there fluids aswell. Will update when i do diffs and box on the condition of the oils.
pxmustd

Post by pxmustd »

Ive also been running the egr blocker since car only had a few thousand without fault. Hopefully engine is still squeeky clean inside :D
rockinranger
200 Club

Post by rockinranger »

I have a 2013 PX1 2.2L Manual 155Km’s on the clock, owner since new.
I have done a bit of work to it in the last 12 months.

Foxwell OBD2 scan tool $40.

Cracked intercooler hose replaced with New Ford hose looks like they have used better material. $96 and my labour.

Slave cylinder inside of gearbox was on its way out, so replaced along with new HD Clutch kit. $1750 Work Shop.

Glow plug error codes open circuit replaced them with new NGK glow plugs. $120 and my labour.

Had the intake manifold off when replacing glow plugs so I cleaned all the carbon build up.
$40 for cleaner and lots of rags, my labour.

Hole in intercooler core, replaced with aftermarket intercooler. $215 and my labour.

This forum has been very helpful with information and watching YouTube videos.

I have been servicing the truck my self since out of warranty and have had lots of fun doing work on the old girl and getting my hands dirty.
m_attt
200 Club

Post by m_attt »

My 2016 3.2 got to 270k, serviced every 15k, has just had to have a engine rebuild from either a failed injector or stretched chain or both. Ignored warning signs. So will now do injectors at 160k and chain at 240k, millage may seam odd as im in uk so thats 10k mile service, 100k miles injectors and 130/150k miles chain.
Mofski82

Post by Mofski82 »

I have a 2014 2.2 manual, currently at 270 000kms , had the EGR cooler go at 187 000kms , new turbo at 190 000kms, new injectors at 200 000kms , new intercooler at 240 000kms ,besides that preety happy with it.
Hoyks
300 Club

Post by Hoyks »

2013 with 175000km and nothing but oil changes.
Normalbloke2

Post by Normalbloke2 »

Well, it’s been a while since my last post on the subject. How do we think the newer2.0 biturbo will fare? I’ve just pulled the trigger on one and take delivery sometime in May.
blueshine
50 Club

Post by blueshine »

Too new to know. Hopefully it'll be all good... fingers crossed!
Normalbloke2

Post by Normalbloke2 »

blueshine wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:44 pm Too new to know. Hopefully it'll be all good... fingers crossed!
They didn’t get off to a good start with the Continental injector debacle!
blueshine
50 Club

Post by blueshine »

Normalbloke2 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:24 pm They didn’t get off to a good start with the Continental injector debacle!
That was a specific batch of bad injectors installed in some vehicles. Recalls for parts which are faulty from manufacture are not that uncommon and I don't think it has anything to do with the longevity of the engine itself.
Normalbloke2

Post by Normalbloke2 »

blueshine wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:51 pm
Normalbloke2 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:24 pm They didn’t get off to a good start with the Continental injector debacle!
That was a specific batch of bad injectors installed in some vehicles. Recalls for parts which are faulty from manufacture are not that uncommon and I don't think it has anything to do with the longevity of the engine itself.
Yeah, I understand the specifics. Bottom line is, the buck stops with Ford, if they’re using third party components that are getting into the build chain without a a fit for purpose supply quality control system, who knows what else. Anyway, looking forward to my new one, if it blows up,it is their responsibility, and after 3 years, it’s gone.
Boonz

Post by Boonz »

Hi All

I'm new to forum
I have 2019 ranger raptor had 3 recalls already, trans pump gears recalibration, tcm sensor, Tmap sensor. Now has timing cover oil leak at 66000km to be fixed under warranty 🙄 not a good start, bf Goodrich tyres bald at 40000k rubbish tyres and very dangerous on wet tar roads, rear brakes worn out at 30000km no warranty, replaced with aftermarket parts no problem since.
m_attt
200 Club

Post by m_attt »

I get over 90k miles from bf all terrians, on bf muds at min and there on 60k miles loads left. Are you running correct pressures
Boonz

Post by Boonz »

Hey m-att
Yes running correct pressures 90% highway driving, tyres worn evenly just didn't last, now have nitto Ridge grapplers way better tyre more grip in wet, have 20k on them hardly even worn from new
lincolnland
300 Club

Post by lincolnland »

Fleet use with just under 1000kg in the back get 70k plus on ko2s