Can the reverse sensers be turned off

Non Ranger Related Subjects
whitey86
25 Club

Can the reverse sensers be turned off

Post by whitey86 »

hey Guys
I was towing a car trailer the other day and found when trying to reverse the rverse sensors were going off like mad. This became very annoying and distracting
Is it possible to dissable the sensors ??
stevo2768
300 Club

Re: Can the reverse sensers be turned off

Post by stevo2768 »

Did the trailer have LED lights? The ford patch lead for LED lights will disable the reverse sensors. If the trailer had globes the the system should automatically disable the reverse sensors.
2012 Ranger XLT D/C 3.2 Auto
2007 single cab HiLux D4D Auto
1990 80 Series Cruiser 1HZ

I'm not a complete idiot! Some parts are still missing.
trentski
300 Club

Post by trentski »

I would have expected them to turn off when the trailer was plugged in. Normal lights on the trailer (non LED)?

Just bet me to it Steve :x :lol:
whitey86
25 Club

Post by whitey86 »

it was a hire trailer ,so was using there adaptor , do i need a for specific adaptor ??
And the trailer did have LED lights
grpaxto
200 Club

Post by grpaxto »

What sort of tow bar? Aftermarket or Ford. Should disable as soon as you connect the plug and will display the trailer icon when reversing while connected.
PX111 Wildtrak Meteor Gray, 2lt Bi Turbo, ARB UVP, ARB Front Bar with Intensity 40 Light Bar, BP51 Suspension
ROCKET0407
300 Club

Post by ROCKET0407 »

As paxto sais whitey, if you have the Ford supplied trailer plug adaptor and the unit you are towing is either LED or Standard globe fitted there should be no intrusion from the sensors. My camper trailer is LED fitted and i get a "A" frame image that comes up on the screen when reversing!
Cheers. :mrgreen:
Thirsty
300 Club

Post by Thirsty »

What everybody should realise when using the ford patch lead, apart from your LED lights working properly and reverse sensors disabling, is that trailer sway control also works by the canbus seeing the electrical load on the system.

If you have normal globes, the natrual resistance from halogen globes is enough load for the canbus to detect the trailer without the patch lead.

My April 2012 built XLT does connect with trailers with LED lights without the patch harness. Sometimes the tail lights flicker untill i start the car and turn the head lights on, then they work normal, but as discussed, reverse sensors dont disable, and trailer sway control wont be working.

Just something to be aware of.
When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything begins to look like a nail :D
2012 Ford Ranger XLT Dual Cab Manual
2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory aPRC
whitey86
25 Club

Post by whitey86 »

Hey Guys , so yes it is a Ford tow bar , and after i used a different plug the reverse sensors did turn off.
Officemanager

Post by Officemanager »

If you have the ford oem towbar & tow module fitted to Ranger, Park assist/reverse sensors should be disabled when trailer plug connected regardless if LED or normal lights on trailer/van.

If you have aftermarket towbar fitted then that is another story.

Cheers.
George123
50 Club

Post by George123 »

hi to everybody I was wondering if it is possible to turn off park assist sensors as I own a xlt m2 that I have had a tray fitted
the ford dealer said they cannot be disabled
on my px1 xlt I had then turned off no problems I would be happy if someone may be able to help
thanks
alpha1
300 Club

Post by alpha1 »

Maybe just a switch inline to turn off the warning beeper?
Jalito
300 Club

Post by Jalito »

When you engage the reverse the right display screen will allow you to switch the beeping off if that is what you are after. I do not think you can disable it permanently.
Craig001
300 Club

Post by Craig001 »

Correct, it is an option to disable the sensors each time reverse is selected.
2016 XLT Auto Supercab
Touring Canopy + Accessories

Cheers Craig.
George123
50 Club

Post by George123 »

thanks for those answers the only problem is it comes up with a fault every time you start the engine being they have been disconnected
Goons

Post by Goons »

I had the exact same issue on my px2 xlt. The salesman told they could be turned off when the tray went on. Luckily for me the ford dealership organised the tray. So when the service department told me they could not be turned off, they supplied the factory sensors to be installed into my tray.

So everyone knows, it could be done on the px1 but that has changed obviously for the px2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nova4avr
300 Club

Post by Nova4avr »

Goons wrote:I had the exact same issue on my px2 xlt. The salesman told they could be turned off when the tray went on. Luckily for me the ford dealership organised the tray. So when the service department told me they could not be turned off, they supplied the factory sensors to be installed into my tray.

So everyone knows, it could be done on the px1 but that has changed obviously for the px2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fitted an alloy tray to my PX1 & the company that supplied & fitted the tray fitted 4 small brackets, one for each of the 4 reversing sensors, to the lower edge at the back of the tray & they seem to work very well.

Pic attached showing them.

Attachments
Ranger Tray Pics 029 (640x478).jpg
2008 Ranger PJ. XLT Dual cab. Cool white. 5 speed manual. 3.0 ltr.
ECB Bull Bar
TLM Snorkel
Plexiglass alloy tray 1860mm x 1900mm
George123
50 Club

Post by George123 »

thanks for that info they tell me that the sensors can be added to the lower spec trucks so I am sure they must be able to turn them of being they can turn them on
thanks for the help so far
MarkDRanger
50 Club

Post by MarkDRanger »

Jalito wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:01 pm When you engage the reverse the right display screen will allow you to switch the beeping off if that is what you are after. I do not think you can disable it permanently.
I know this is a really old post, but this annoying beeper issue has been bugging me for months when reversing my newly acquired teardrop camper. So a big THANK YOU to Jalito for this info. It's a life-saver.